[157] The Mecha Samurai

Chapter 157: The Mecha Samurai

Mechanical creaks filled the hallways as we stared at the masterpiece artwork with awe-filled eyes.

It was so unexpected that it brought us all to a standstill. A deep, resonant hum filled the air as the ancient mechanism awakened after a long slumber.

We froze, our attention completely away from the orb, and focused on the source of the disturbance. "A Mecha Samurai..."

A titanic metal humanoid, a samurai, its design intricate and imposing, was slowly getting up. Orange glowing eyes flickered to life within its helmet, casting an eerie light that matched the orb's white pulse. He was looking at us, his two hands clenched tightly on two long swords of pure energy that hummed with power.

The air around the mech samurai crackled with anticipation. "Oh shit."

The room's atmosphere shifted palpably, the light-hearted mood of celebrations we shared moments ago evaporated in thin air.

The samurai robot took a deliberate step forward, the ground trembling under its weight. Its gaze, though artificial, seemed to bore into us, assessing, calculating.

Then, it leaped at us.

Its speed sent shivers of fear through the spirits of everyone but a few.

"Looks like we've got company," Tsunade said as she leaped to counter it, her voice steady and a broad grin on her face despite the adrenaline surging through her veins.

She needed a punching bag for all her frustrations.

The Samurai's sword swung, as did her fist. The invisible Haki around her fists connected with the plasma sword that'd have otherwise cut through her body, and by then the crew's posture had shifted.

"Stay behind me," I said to them, ready for the battle that loomed inevitable.

"No, you stay behind us," but Robin stood in front of me instead, giving me a look that left zero room for arguments.

Marianne stepped beside her as did the other girls. Vivi and Karoo moved towards the orb, with Vivi yelling, "You guys keep that thing busy, I'll see if I can open a way out!"

I looked at her approach the orb to make sure she wasn't engulfed by some trap, and when I saw her safely reach it and begin to fiddle with it, a holographic message lit up in the air.

[You must defeat the Guardian to access entry to the underground city.]

"For fuck's sake," I said and turned to the 'guardian'. How annoying.

The keeper of its secrets, the titanic mech samurai clashed against Tsunade. And the intensity of the clash was to a degree that made me pause.

The samurai's energy sword clashed with her pseudo-Galaxy-Impacts in rhythmic beats that made the entire place tremble. It didn't look like this would be a quick victory for us, if even a victory at all.

Bang!

Dddoong!

The clash of their attacks was like bells, the standoff between Tsunade and the metal samurai unfolded like a maelstrom.

This ancient guardian, as the behemoth of forgotten lore that it was, stood defiant, its armor shimmering in defiance under the sparse illumination. Tsunade, every muscle tight with pressure, struck the enemy with pseudo-Conqueror's Haki-imbued attacks exclusive only to her and me.

The samurai's blade, a concentrated beam of energy, clashed against her Haki fists, and the chamber rang with the echoes of the battle. Each exchange sent a howl of wind slamming against the walls, but despite my sister's overwhelming force, the guardian matched her blow for blow, its retaliations a whirlwind and deadly intent.