65. 1999 USA

31st December 1999

Rebecca POV

I am Rebecca Patricia Armstrong, I am 21 years old and this is the worst new year's eve of my life, I don't have anyone. "Life is nothing but suffering" I said to myself. Last week I lost both of my parents in an accident. I have no one to look for me, I am alone in this world now.

My uncle and aunt have taken my responsibility, but I don't want to be with them, they don't want me, they just want all the money that my parents have left with me as I was their only daughter.

Ignoring everyone, I left early from the new year's party, I was driving when the clock hit 12am and the sky was filled with lights. People were celebrating with their friends and family, but here I am running away from everything and everyone.

"I wish this misery to be over, please help me mom and dad" I closed my eyes briefly in grief. As I opened my eyes I saw a woman appearing in front of my car, I hit the break as hard as possible, but the car collided with that woman, throwing her body over the car windshield. I immediately get off from my car, to check on the woman, she is still breathing, but she is loosing blood. I remembered passing a hospital few blocks back, so I immediately put that woman on my car's backseat and drove to the hospital. People on the road who saw us came to help us but I was very fast to handle all the things by myself.

The girl is still breathing but she hasn't opened her eyes. As soon as I reached the hospital, I explained the doctor what has happened. The doctors checked her and immediately decided to take her to the ICU. As the nurses started pulling the woman away on the hospital stretcher, the woman held my hand and looked at me trying to day something. I leaned near to hear what is she saying.

"I am sorry Teerak" she whispered with all the strength she was left with and then she went completely unconscious.

"She is not breathing, let's take her into the ICU or we will loose her!" the doctor shouted loudly. I also started running with the stretcher, crying and holding her hand.

"I have lost everything, I am not gonna loose you now. You will make it alive" I yelled loudly as the nurses closed the ICU door shutting me out.

I cried and waited in front of the ICU for hours and hours. I begged everyone to tell me about her status, but people just ignored me. After 8 hours the doctors came out and explained me that the woman is alive, she has critical injuries on her head, she have a minor fracture on her left hand and she have a deep cut on her left shoulder. They have patched her up, they will be keeping her in the ICU until she is awake. I thanked them and started walking towards the ICU to meet the woman.

"Where are you going ma'am?" The nurse stopped me.

"I am going to check on that lady" I answered.

"You cannot meet her ma'am, even though you brought her here, you are the one because of which she is in this state. You cannot meet her until the police clears you" she explained.

"Please let me see her, I need to see her...." I begged the nurse, but it was of no use.

Soon police came and took me to the police station to investigate the issue. I went with them and I told them everything. They took witness statements and all the witnesses said that the woman appeared in front of my car out of no-where. I was forced to call my guardians, my uncle and aunt soon reached the police station with the lawyers. In the end I was fined a small penalty and they let me go home next day.

"I am going to see that woman" I said to my uncle and aunt.

"No Rebecca! No way! You are grounded for a week now!" My uncle scolded me, they forcefully took me and locked me inside my own house in my own room. I cried and begged them to let me meet that woman once but everything went unheard to those deaf ears.

"Mom.... Dad.... I miss you.... I need you...." I said as I laid down on the floor crying badly. After hours of crying I stood up to get changed into normal clothes.

After freshening up, when I came back to my room, my eyes went on the bag that police gave me which have all my belongings from my car that they took before arresting me and sealing my car as an evidence.

I decided to unpack everything. While unpacked the bag, I found a strange device, it's almost shattered, I don't know what it is. I started clicking on some buttons when the screen lit up and I saw something unexpected.

The screen have my and that woman's picture, but I have never met this woman before. I haven't seen a device like this before. What is this device, why does it have this picture of me and that woman and why are we soo intimate in this picture? No it's not me! How can someone look soo similar to me?

 What is this device, why does it have this picture of me and that woman and why are we soo intimate in this picture? No it's not me! How can someone look soo similar to me?