Bone Fracture

When the old man entered, he saw Doctor Li applying medicine to Daniu's leg.

Xu Daniu's calf has changed color, turning purple and black, and has been swollen several times. It looks like it has been hit by a heavy object.

The old man hurriedly asked: "Doctor Li, how is Daniu's leg?"

Doctor Li replied: "It's quite severe. There's a fracture of the tibia, so it needs proper care."

"Doctor Li, no matter what medicines you use, please make sure to heal Daniu's leg well." The old man insisted: "We'll pay for it!"

At this moment, Xu Daniu's face twisted in pain as beads of sweat slid down his cheeks. When he heard the old man's words, he said with some difficulty: "Uncle, I...I'm fine, it just hurts a bit."

The old man chided gently: "Foolish child, is that even called 'a little pain'? The bone is broken. You must stay at home and take good care of your leg now lest you suffer any long-term complications!"

Doctor Li agreed: "Old sir is right. Daniu, you must not move around easily with your leg like this. I will go back and prepare some medicine for you, which you must take every day to aid its healing."

Xu Daniu asked: "Then about work..."

Before he could finish speaking, the old man interrupted him: "Child, look at yourself! How can you still be thinking about work at a time like this? Listen to Uncle and stay home properly recovering. I'll arrange for someone to bring you bone broth daily to help you regain your strength."

Xu Daniu said: "Uncle, it's not troublesome. I'm young and healthy. I don't need to drink bone broth every day. I'll just take care of myself."

Madam Daniu watched the sweat beads falling from her son's forehead with concern, then rolled up her sleeves to wipe his sweat away.

The old man spoke up again: Sister, I apologize sincerely. Daniu wouldn't have suffered this if he hadn't helped us out, but fear not, our family will pay for any treatment he needs."

Madam Daniu wiped away her tears: Brother Xu, although my heart hurts seeing my son suffer, I am not unreasonable. It was his own doing—he insisted on carrying the logs by himself. We can afford the cost of treating his leg, but your family is busy now, so I'll take care of Daniu."

The old man replied: Sister, that's not entirely fair. Our family shares some responsibility here as well. Let's drop the discussion and do things my way. I will compensate him as usual, and Daniu should focus on recovering."

Madam Daniu was deeply grateful: "Thank you so much, Brother Xu!"

The old man continued: "Caring for him alone may be taxing, so I'll ask someone to bring Daniu's wife back from the wine shop shortly. She won't return to work until Daniu's leg has fully healed. Rest assured, she will receive her full compensation."

Xu Daniu said: "Uncle, that can't be right. How could you pay me for work I didn't do?"

"What's wrong with it?" Asked the old man: "Didn't you say before that no matter what decision I make, you'll still listen to me?"

Xu Daniu was speechless.

Doctor Li said: It takes one hundred days for bones and tendons to heal. Daniu, try not to move around too much during this time. Otherwise, the bone might grow crookedly, which would be bad. In a moment, I will use a wooden frame to immobilize your lower leg."

Madam Daniu said: "Thank you for your trouble, Doctor Li."

Doctor Li waved his hand: "I'm rushing off, but I'll go back home now to gather the necessary supplies and return soon."