Chapter Forty

Okay, so I'm starting something new. I'm one of those writers that I have to have a ton on my plate or I get bored. I doplan on finishing all of my WIPs, but I wanted to try something different. Anyhow, this will be a drabble-ish fic. My chapters will be a thousand words or less, unless the chapters lend themselves to something longer (i.e., a lemon...). We're also going to be switching back and forth, every five chapters between our two favorite characters, Edward and Bella...

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

On with it!

Chapter Forty

EPOV

We arrived at Spiaggia and were seated right away. I stayed close to Bella, my hand on the small of her back. Helping her into the booth, I sat across from her, but secretly, I wanted to be next to her. That would have looked weird, so I settled at looking at her for dinner. I could touch her and hold her hand afterward while we were at the Sears Tower and on the carriage ride.

"Have you ever been here?" Bella asked, looking at the menu.

"I've been here once. My parents celebrated their thirty-fifth wedding anniversary here. We were in a private room for our friends and family, not in the main restaurant," I said.

"When was that?" Bella questioned.

"In February," I replied. "My parents were true romantics and got married on Valentine's Day."

"Awww, how cute," Bella cooed.

"It was more of a necessity than cute. My dad was working as a resident and got very little time off. Somehow he managed to get Valentine's Day off and they got married in city hall, with their best friends as their witnesses. My mom's parents were pissed since Esme Platt was high society and should never have gotten married in such a way. My parents were in love and didn't want to wait," I chuckled. "They eventually did have the society wedding, nearly two years after their initial one. My grandmother insisted on it. It was either have this huge wedding or be disowned. Mom went with it, even though she'd been my father's wife for two years. However, my grandmother got her society wedding and my mom was not disowned."

"Wow," Bella said. "I bet your grandmother didn't expect them to last this long?"

"Uh, no. Grandma Platt was sitting in a corner, scowling as my parents danced on the dance floor at their anniversary, still very much in love," I said, shrugging slightly.

The waiter arrived, asking for our drink orders. I ordered a bottle of wine. Bella said she could have one glass, but didn't want to risk having anymore due to her antidepressants. The waiter left and we looked over our menu, choosing an appetizer to share and some delicious Italian cuisine. Once the appetizer arrived, along with our wine, I asked a question that had been bugging me for a while. "Bella, don't take this wrong way, but you've mentioned a lot about your mom and Grams. What about your dad?"

"We talk occasionally. He's a police chief in some bumfuck town in Washington. Whenever we do chat, I'm always under the impression that he doesn't care about me so I muscle through it and then move on," Bella shrugged. "Would I like to have a relationship with my father? Sure! But, he's never given me any indication that he wants one."

"Does he have your new number?" I asked.

"No, he doesn't. I probably should let him know," Bella said. "I'll do it later. Right now, I just want to enjoy tonight with you. My psycho mother and my absentee father are not on my mind right now. What happened on that call you went on yesterday?"

"Just proof that humanity needs a swift kick in the ass," I deadpanned. "Some drunken, just out of college kids decided it would be fun to shoot off fireworks from their apartment. One exploded in their living room, another in a kid's hand and the third shot through the floor of the apartment above them. It spread too quickly and the building was completely lost."

Bella blinked a few times. "Seriously?"

"Yep," I said, sipping my wine. "I fear for our future."

"In so many ways, we're moving ahead, creating new inventions and whatnot. In others, you have to ask, what crack werethese parents smoking?" Bella giggled.

"Obviously the discount weed from Walmart," I laughed.

"Fifty percent off," Bella snickered. We clinked our glasses. I was happy that I was with someone who got my humor. Irina used to just think that I was too hard on the morons that I tried to save. Hell, she had a few moments were I questioned her sanity. Wait, she clearly was insane.

We sobered and I stared at Bella. She was flushed. Her eyes were twinkling and in the candlelight of the restaurant, she looked almost ethereal. She sipped her wine, looking at me. "What? Did I spill?"

"No. You're so beautiful," I smiled.

Her blush deepened and she dropped her gaze to the table. Her eyelashes were so long, they were nearly brushing her cheeks. I reached across the table, taking her delicate hand in mine. She looked up at me, biting her lip as she gave me a tentative smile. "You are," I urged. "I'm so lucky to have you with me tonight, sweet girl."

"I'm starting to realize that I'm the lucky one," she beamed.

A/N: Up next will be more of the date, in Bella's point of view. Pictures of the flowers and Spiaggia are on my tumblr and blog. Links for both are on my profile. You can also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation or on twitter: tufano79. Leave me some!

Top of Page