Chapter One Hundred Eighteen

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

Chapter 118

EPOV

My home was no more.

The place that I had bought was now destroyed, charred beyond all recognition. Most the damage had occurred in my bedroom. My bed was obviously where the fire started. As plain as day, the threat was scrawled out crudely with whatever accelerant was used to start the blaze.

Bella was standing next to me, her fingers threaded with mine. Her eyes were wide with disbelief as we took in all of the damage. Nothing was salvageable. Everything was gone. My furniture was piles of springs and charred fabric. The walls were black from the flames. The scent of fire, smoke and burnt rubber filled our noses, making it difficult to breathe normally. I cringed at the cost to replace all of it, but my parents who were with me along with Garrett and the arson investigator, assured me that my insurance would cover most of the costs. The money wasn't an issue, but some things I had in my condo had sentimental value.

All of it.

I took some solace that I hadn't been inside my condo when it went up in flames. From the explanation from Garrett, it was fast-burning fire that was very hot and extremely destructive.

"...and it would seem that the accelerant that was used to start the fire was the body we discovered," the investigator said, his voice deep and husky. "It appears we have a serial arsonist in the city. This is the third fire that has had that particular signature. Not to mention, we don't know how a person is used as the accelerant. This technology sounds brutal, cruel and sadistic." He shuddered.

"How are you going to proceed?" Garrett asked, his nose wrinkled in anger. "Are there any clues as to who is doing this besides the bodies?"

"All of the fires were fast moving, hot and from what we could gather, a personal attack. The source of this fire was stemmed in Lieutenant Cullen's bedroom," he said. "How are all of these fires linked?"

"Probably because of me," Bella muttered, a deep, red flush covering her creamy skin. She frowned, her beauty marred by her pain. "In every fire that has been started like this, the victims and the locations were all connected to me. The realtor's office? Victoria sold me my office. Clear Water's? I'm close with the family. And now Edward's? I'm his fiancée, though I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped my ass because of all of this drama and heartache." Her face crumpled and she ran out of the condo, sobbing hysterically. I went to follow her, but my mom darted off after her. My father captured my arm, stopping me.

"Is this true, Lieutenant Cullen?" asked the investigator. I was pulled back to him, scowling at the fact that I couldn't calm my fiancée. "Edward?"

"Sorry. But, yes, I believe it's all connected to Bella," I answered, my answers curt and snippy. "I suspect that it could possibly be her ex-boyfriend. He was a nasty fellow who liked to beat the shit out of unsuspecting pregnant women. He didn't take too kindly when she up and left. Her mother's a real peach, too. She alibied James when Bella accused him of assaulting her and killing her unborn daughter." My father gasped at my callous description of Bella's family. He knew, briefly, about her past, but not all of it. All my dad knew was that she was hurt by an ex and that he was no longer in her life.

"I think that we need to get the police involved. We have three fires with three separate murders. He's escalating, too," Garrett snapped. "And, not to mention, a strong idea of who the suspect is. What is Bella's ex-boyfriend's name?"

"James. James Dasher," I replied, my voice cold. "And her mother is also in cahoots with this guy. Renee Dwyer."

"I do agree that you need to discuss this with the police," the investigator said, nodding slightly. "With the use of bodies as the means to start the fires, I think this would be best handled by the Intelligence Unit in the Chicago Police Department. Let me make some phone calls. I think it's safe to assume that the police will want to speak with you, your fiancée and any of the other victims of these fires." He took a grim look around my condo. "I'm sorry about the loss of your home, Lieutenant."

"I'm glad that I wasn't here," I answered honestly. "No one would have survived this."

"Things can be replaced, but you can't," my father murmured, his arm draping across my shoulders. "Neither can Bella."

"Edward, you're on paid administrative leave until you feel like you're ready to come back," Garrett said, looking around my condo. "You do what you need to do. Love up on your girl, have some wild baboon sex or go to Vegas to get hitched."

"I like the first option," I snorted. "And if I go to Vegas to get married, Mom would never forgive me."

"Nor would your sister," Dad snickered. We left my condo, securing it with a padlock. The door had been destroyed when the guys forced their way in. My mother had texted me, explaining that she had taken Bella back to their house and that we were spending the night. She asked me to pick up some clothes for us. I replied, saying that I would. I knew we needed to be coddled by my parents. That feeling of protection, I yearned for it and Bella desperately needed it.

Also, I knew that this was just the beginning of the nightmare and it was only going to get worse. I prayed that Bella and I were strong enough to withstand it. I couldn't live in a world without her. She was my world, my love, my life, my future. I was going to fight like hell to keep it, but at what cost?

A/N: Some Cullen cuddling coming up next ... And don't hate Bella. She's feeling incredibly guilty. She loves Edward tremendously and the idea of him being hurt makes her sick. Everything will be find with these two. Leave me some!