Chapter Seventy-Two

Okay, so I'm starting something new. I'm one of those writers that I have to have a ton on my plate or I get bored. I doplan on finishing all of my WIPs, but I wanted to try something different. Anyhow, this will be a drabble-ish fic. My chapters will be a thousand words or less, unless the chapters lend themselves to something longer (i.e., a lemon...). We're also going to be switching back and forth, every five chapters between our two favorite characters, Edward and Bella...

Also, you must have noticed that I have not been updating this as often. RL is kicking my rear end, with the beginningof the school year, my own RL issues and just finding the motivation to write. In regards to updates, I'm planning on updating every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for this story, so long as I have chapters to update with. It's mainly pre-written, but with lack of mojo and other commitments (RL and fanfic related), it's been tough to get above water. Please be patient...

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

On with it!

Chapter Seventy-Two

BPOV

By midnight, I had new locks throughout my entire house and garage. I tried to pay Emmett, but he just shoved my hands away and told me to make some of my rocky road cookies. He had pilfered a few when I gave some Edward of my latest batch, falling in love with them. I promised to bring some by the next time I came over to my boyfriend's. Beaming brightly, Emmett gave me a hug, kissing my cheek and ambled out of the brownstone with a goody bag of leftovers from the barbeque. Edward was rifling with the new keys, attaching them to my key ring.

"You have four extra keys, Bella," Edward said, handing me the remaining keys. "The gold key opens up the deadbolt and the silver key opens up the door. You have two extras of each."

"That's perfect," I replied, swiping a key chain that I had found when I went grocery shopping with Alice. I put one of the extra sets keys on the Chicago Fire Department keychain, handing it to him. "I want you to keep these."

"Really?" he asked, his brows shooting to his hairline.

"Edward, you are the person I trust the most in this city," I whispered, closing his hand over the keys. "Besides your sister and she's not getting her keys until later." I pulled out a butterfly, sparkly and dangly keychain. "Once I realize that she won't randomly barge in."

"Which will be never," Edward snorted, adding my keys to his own keychain. "Alice has difficulties with personal boundaries.However, you seem to have the knack about keeping them in check. I'm impressed, Bella." He took my hand, tugging on megently and guiding me into the living room. "Now, talk to me, sweet girl." He sat down, holding me on his lap. He pressed his hand to my stinging cheek. "Are you okay with what happened tonight?"

"No," I pouted, leaning into his warm palm. "I knew she'd come at some point, but today? Of all days?"

"Was she always like that?" Edward asked, his voice turning icy.

"Minus the physical abuse, pretty much," I grumbled. "The smacking is new. She probably thinks that because James got away with it, so can she? I don't know."

"Bella, I think you should go to the police," Edward muttered, his eyes filled with concern.

"So do I. Garrett gave me a name of someone who can help," I said, showing the business card of Detective Cruz. "Do you know this guy?"

"Yeah, Antonio's great. He's got a good head on his shoulders. When do you want to talk to him?"

"The sooner the better. Do think he's working tomorrow? It's Labor Day," I blushed.

"Antonio is a workaholic. It's sad, really. The guy lives and breathes his job. I don't even think he goes home or if he had a home address. He may just bunk at the precinct," Edward chuckled. "I can go with you tomorrow. For moral support."

"I'd like that," I said, snuggling in his arms and pressing my nose to the crook of his neck. "Thank you."

"Anything, baby," Edward soothed, his arms traveling up and down my back. "I love you. More than you know."

And I did. He showed me that he loved me in his actions, his words and with every moment that we shared. He was the person that I trusted most in my entire life, not including my Grams. His strong presence made me feel safe for the first time in forever. I had a long way to go in the way of healing, but Edward was definitely a factor in the progress I had made thus far. I reached up, tenderly caressing his slightly scruffy jaw. He hummed, kissing my forehead and holding me against his body. "Edward?" I whispered against his warm and spicy skin.

"What, love?" he cooed, tightening his arms around me.

"I love you, too," I murmured, clamping my eyes shut and tears falling onto his shoulder.

A/N: Ta da!! She said it! WOOT WOOT!! Now, next up will be his reaction, Bella's meeting with Antonio and then I'm moving forward in time. Closer to Charlie's arrival and Bella's birthday. Not to mention some more fire action for Lieutenant Cullen and drama...

Oh, and who wants a full lemon?

*Snorts*

Leave me some!

Top of Page