Chapter Fifty-Six

Okay, so I'm starting something new. I'm one of those writers that I have to have a ton on my plate or I get bored. I doplan on finishing all of my WIPs, but I wanted to try something different. Anyhow, this will be a drabble-ish fic. My chapters will be a thousand words or less, unless the chapters lend themselves to something longer (i.e., a lemon...). We're also going to be switching back and forth, every five chapters between our two favorite characters, Edward and Bella...

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

On with it!

Chapter Fifty-Six

EPOV

I watched her as she stumbled to the bathroom. I wanted to hold her in my arms. I felt for her but anger coursed through me. James was so hateful that he made her use something that made her sick. He didn't care about her. Or her baby.

"Anything else, sir?" asked the server.

"Just the check, please," I replied, trying to keep my face calm though I wanted to fly down to Florida and set James on fire. I paid for our dinner, signing the receipt and waited for Bella to come back out of the bathroom. When she did, my girlfriend looked pale and drawn. "Are you okay?"

She sat down heavily. She nodded, tears filling her eyes. "I'm...fine."

"Why don't we go back to the city, love?" I suggested, cupping her cheek. "Do you still want to go to Yankee Candle?"

She shook her head, handing me her keys. We got up and I practically had to hold her up as we walked out of the restaurant. Helping her into the passenger seat, I kissed her forehead. Bella popped an anti-anxiety pill, giving me a small grin. I caressed her soft cheek before closing the door and jogging to the driver's side. Once I backed out of the parking spot, I threaded my fingers with Bella's. She sighed, her breath shaky. I drove us back to the city, parking on the street. Bella's garage was still in the process of being rebuilt. Her neighbors offered their garage since they sold their car, but she had yet to pick up the garagedoor opener from them. Bella was sleeping, her face was in pain and her skin was incredibly pale. I woke her up, helping her into the house.

"Do you want me to stay?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I didn't mean to...tonight was a lot of fun and I go ahead and ruin it."

"Bella, don't blame yourself," I chided, taking her hands in mine. "You're moving past this and taking steps to move on with your life. I would be remiss if I expected you to be happy and smiley all of the time. You're healing." She bit her lip, nodding slightly. "Seriously, though. Do you want me to stay? Or go? I don't want to foist myself on you if you want to be alone."

"No, you can stay," she said, blushing slightly. "I don't want to be alone."

I ended up staying the night with Bella. She crashed on my chest during the movie that she had chosen. I wanted to carry her up to her bed, but I couldn't due to my back injury. What I thought was routine soreness from that call turned out to be a torn muscle in lower back. I was helping out at the station but unable to go out on calls for at least a month. Garrett had me deal with paperwork and it was driving me batty. One day of doing it and I wanted to stick my head down the toilet. Plus, I couldn't take care of my girl. She should be sleeping in her bed, not on my chest.

I loved feeling her on my body and she held me so tightly. This poor woman was starved for love and affection. The person who should have given it to her was a callous, calculating bitch. The man she chose to love was a monster, killing his baby because 'she' wasn't a 'he'. Her father was absent from her life because of lies her mother told him and undoubtedly to Bella. Her Grams loved her obviously, but distance made it truly difficult. Her grandmother tried to make things right by leaving her the house and whatever inheritance, but wealth does not equate love. And money cannot bring back her Grams.

I made a vow as Bella was curled on my body, crying in her sleep. I vowed that I would do everything to protect her. To earn her trust. I would be her friend, her boyfriend and if she'd let me, her lover. Kissing her soft hair, I held her tighter against my body. Whispering in the darkness, I sighed. "I promise to love you."

I already did...I loved her and I wasn't letting her go.

A/N: So, Edward has come to the realization that he loves her. What about Bella? When will she know? Up next will be Emmett's moving day and Bella checking out the travel agency for purchase. Leave me some!

Top of Page