Chapter Seventy-One

Okay, so I'm starting something new. I'm one of those writers that I have to have a ton on my plate or I get bored. I doplan on finishing all of my WIPs, but I wanted to try something different. Anyhow, this will be a drabble-ish fic. My chapters will be a thousand words or less, unless the chapters lend themselves to something longer (i.e., a lemon...). We're also going to be switching back and forth, every five chapters between our two favorite characters, Edward and Bella...

Also, you must have noticed that I have not been updating this as often. RL is kicking my rear end, with the beginningof the school year, my own RL issues and just finding the motivation to write. In regards to updates, I'm planning on updating every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for this story, so long as I have chapters to update with. It's mainly pre-written, but with lack of mojo and other commitments (RL and fanfic related), it's been tough to get above water. Please be patient...

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

On with it!

Chapter Seventy-One

BPOV

Shortly after my mother left, the party quickly disbanded. Edward left with Emmett to get new locks and I woodenly began cleaning up. I couldn't show my face to the remaining guests. I had been so embarrassed by my mother's actions. The sting from her slap was still fresh on my face and in my mind.

"Bella," came the soft voice of Edward's mother. I clenched my eyes shut, trying not to cry. I didn't want this woman to see me as a blubbering mess. I turned to face her, giving her a half grin. "Do you need some help, sweetheart?"

I wanted to tell her no. In fact, all I wanted to do was take my anxiety medication and go to sleep. That wasn't going to happen any time soon. "If you want, can you put the food into plastic containers? They are all pulled out on the table, Esme," I said, my voice rough.

"Sure, Bella. I'd be glad to," Esme said sweetly, picking up a handful of spoons. I turned back to the sink, working on washing the dishes and keeping my tears at bay. We worked in relative silence, only the sounds of the water sloshing and Esme's scraping of the salads filling the kitchen. Alice and Jasper were cleaning up the backyard, dancing to the sound dock on the patio. "Bella, I just want you to know that if you need to talk, I'm more than willing...Like you, I didn't have the best relationship with my mother."

"I'm okay, Esme," I whispered, emptying the soapy water so I could make another batch.

I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, gently turning me around. Esme frowned. "Are you?"

I snorted humorlessly. "No, not really. I'm just...I need to work out what I'm feeling before I can talk about it. I've never really had anyone in my corner, Esme. The only person who truly cared for me was my Grams, but she lived here. When it was me and my mom, I was the adult." Tears filled my eyes and I tried, fruitlessly to stop them from falling. "Sorry...I'll be okay, Esme."

"Alright," she said, rubbing my back. "I'm going to put the food in the refrigerator. You have enough to last the rest of the week."

"I'll probably send it with Edward to the firehouse," I replied. Esme smiled, nodding gently. "Thank you for the offer to talk. I really do appreciate it. I'm just..."

"You're used to taking care of everything yourself. I get it. When you are ready, I'll be there, Bella," Esme said, hugging me. "I just know what it's like to have a mother who disapproves of everything you do. Mine is not nearly as harsh, but there never goes a day when she doesn't remind me that I am a failure. Eventually, I learned to ignore it since she was so set in her ways. Spiteful, old bat." I giggled. "I put my phone number on your dry erase board on the fridge. I'd like to get together for lunch with you and Alice at some point. Call me anytime."

"Thank you, Esme," I said.

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Esme cooed. "Anyway, I am going to head out. Thank you for inviting me and I look forward to lunch." I nodded. She kissed my cheek, pressing her hand to my face. With a wave, Esme grabbed her purse and keys, ducking out of the kitchen to say goodbye to Alice. As I finished up in the kitchen, I said goodbye to the remaining guests, thanking them for coming.

Garrett and Kate were one of the last people to leave, besides Alice and Jasper. He pulled me aside. "Bella, I know that you only know me as the dirty old man that is Edward's boss. I know what happened with your mom goes deeper than what we saw. I've got a couple of friends in the Chicago Police Department if you need a restraining order." He handed me a card of an Antonio Cruz. "He can help you, Bella, if you want it."

"Thank you, Garrett," I whispered.

"You're welcome, Bella. I'll talk to you later," he said, awkwardly hugging me. As he and Kate were leaving, Emmett andEdward came back with several bags from Home Depot.

"Bella, do you want us to install the new locks now or tomorrow?" Emmett asked.

Biting my lip, I looked down at the business card. "Now, please. I'll pay you...anything...I just need..."

"You need to feel safe and secure," Edward finished for me, wrapping his arms around me. I melted against his chest, tugging on his polo shirt. "I understand, love."

"And you are not paying us shit," Emmett growled playfully. "You're a part of our family, Bella. We take care of family."

A/N: So...? Leave me some!

Top of Page