Chapter Eighty-Seven

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

On with it!

Chapter Eighty-Seven

EPOV

I walked into Bella's office just as Peter was walking out. "Hey, Edward," he smiled. The smile quickly faded as he saw my haunted expression. "Everything okay?"

"Not really," I answered. "How was the rest of Bella's opening day?"

"It was great. The party was well-attended. Bella acquired some new local clients and I have to edit some photos for a feature in the Red Eye on her new company," Peter replied. "The only fly in our ointment was the noticeable absence of the real estate agent who sold her the shop. Your sister mentioned that she didn't show up." My brow furrowed. "You know something?"

"Something that I need to tell Bella. Is she still inside?" I asked.

"She's talking to the reporter who is writing the article now," Peter said. He looked down at his watch. "Shit, I've got to go. Madison wants the photos I took by eight tonight. I don't have a complete set up here, so I have to edit the photos at home. I'm bringing my gear to my desk on Monday..."

"Have a good night, Peter. I'll talk to you later," I said, clapping my hand on his shoulder. He nodded, darting out to his car, which was parked next to Bella's in the tiny lot behind her shop. I pushed into the small office. I could hear Bella speaking from her spot in the back of the newly redecorated sleek office. From the sound of it, she appeared to be finishing up.

"I'll make sure to send you a framed copy of the interview along with the photos from your photographer, Peter," said the raspy-voiced Madison, the reporter. "I can tell that your venture here in Chicago will be a lucrative one. Hell, some of those blogs you showed me were amazing. It makes me want to turn over my resignation and start my own small business start-up blog."

"Well, if you're ever interested, you have my card," Bella chuckled. "I look forward to reading the article." I leaned casually against the exposed brick wall. She gave me a tiny wave. "Now, I've got to lock up and perhaps convince my hunky boyfriend to give me a foot massage."

"You don't have to convince me, love," I snorted. "I know you had a long day." You're not the only one...

"I'll let you go. Have a great weekend, Bella. The article will be featured in our Sunday edition," Madison said, shaking Bella's hand. With a curt nod, she packed up her belongings and left the office.

Walking slowly, I sat down in the chair that Madison vacated. I looked at my girl. She looked knackered, but so proud. "How did the rest of your day go?" I asked.

"Amazing. The artists I hired were ready and willing to step up and we've got several new clients that we need to begin developing new sites for. Peter has been hired by a local shop to shoot their latest online catalogue, not to mention the photos for our article and you just heard what Madison mentioned about the feature in theRed Eye." She got up, sitting in my lap and nuzzling my neck. Her fingers wound into my still damp locks from my shower. "What happened at the fire? Is everyone alright?"

My eyes dimmed and I held her tighter. We were no closer to identifying the body in the office building. Only the medical examiner could determine that. Bella's hand moved to my cheek. "Was there an injury? Something serious?" she muttered.

I gulped down the bile that threatened to come up when I pictured that charred, burnt body in the back office. "We lost someone. In the fire, there was a body," I said roughly. "The victim was covered in gasoline, used as the accelerant of the fire."

"Oh, wow," Bella said, her lips curling into a deep frown. "Who would do such a thing?"

"We don't know," I answered, burying my nose into her neck. I wanted to, needed to hold her close.

"You know the victim, don't you?" she said flatly.

"I have my theory," I shuddered. "The fire was in the building that housed Gold Coast Realty."

Bella paled, looking a sickly white. She stared at me, her eyes wide with disbelief. "No..." she choked out before sprinting to the bathroom and hurling into the toilet. I crouched behind her, holding her hair back and rubbing her back. As she was throwing up, she was sobbing. Plopping onto the ground, she wiped her face with the back of her hand.

"Are you okay, love?" I asked.

"I can't believe it," she answered. "Do you really think it was Victoria?"

"We can't be certain, Bella. The body was nothing but charred bones and ash. The medical examiner has to determine the identity using dental records," I said, pulling her into my arms. "But, I have a strong suspicion that it is her."

"If it is, I have a feeling of who might be starting these fires," Bella said, her voice deadly quiet.

"Who, love?"

"James."

A/N: So, Bella has her theories about James. Her explanation of why she thinks it's him will come next chapter. Also, RL is not behaving. My spare time is sorely lacking, as it were. I'm hoping to go back to three updates a week, but I have to build up the stash of updates. This is the first chapter I've written in nearly a month. Well, for this story. Please...leave me some!