Tender Age

Yn's POV

"Okay, all I'm saying is that you would look amazing in a turtleneck. You should consider buying one," I tell Jay as we were waiting for Voight to arrive at the crime scene.

"You think so?" Jay questioned.

"I know so," I state confidently. "Besides, you should change up your wardrobe every now and then. In all of the time I've known you, I don't think I've ever seen you wear a color lighter than maroon."

"Don't judge my style. And it works, so I'm sticking to it," Jay said as Voight made his way over to us.

"Any news?" Voight asked.

"Burgess took the girl to Med. They're checking her out," I respond. 

"Witnesses?" Voight quizzed. 

"Not yet. We're working the block. The victims are all members of the same family, the Wards. They all live in the house. And the little girl, Makayla? She's the only family member that survived," Jay spoke. 

"All right, let's keep a cap on the media as long as we can. That means no one but the techs and us step foot on this property," Voight said. As Voight and Jay went there separate ways, I walked over to Kim.

"Hey. I uh, I heard you and Adam found that little girl. Is she okay?" I question.

Kim shook her head. "She doesn't want to talk to anyone, which isn't a surprise considering she saw her whole family murdered. I'm going to try to talk to her some more later."

"All right. I'll talk to you later," I say.

........................................

"All right, talk to me. What do we got?" Voight asked. 

"Ward family, no priors except for Benny, who has a year-old possession charge," Hailey answered. 

"I'm thinking the shooter might've used a suppressor. No one heard or saw anything, and there are zero cams," Jay added. 

"I connected with Forensics. It's going to take them some time. Three bodies, that's a lot of DNA," Adam admitted. 

"Four people living in one house, that's a lot of foot traffic," Hailey further stated. 

"Well, we work the why first. Home invasion gone wrong? A hit? Family disagreement? Murder turned triple homicide? There can be plenty of possibilities, but it's going to be the why that gets us to who," Voight announced. 

"I've got a possible why. Benny Ward's yearlong possession charge is not the full story. The kid's got a couple gang dispersal cards and quite the social media presence. According to the Gang Unit and CPIC, he's been the enforcer for the Gangster Prophets for the past two years. He's got a lot of enemies. CPIC sent over a whole list. Over a dozen death threats online," Kevin informed us. 

"We think this is gang retribution? They'd do a whole family like that?" Adam questioned. 

"Listen, no reason is ever going to feel like enough, Adam. Run it down. Talk to your CIs. If this was a gang hit, the streets will know," Voight said.

"Copy that, Sarge," I say. So Hailey and Jay went out to talk to one of Hailey's CIs, and they got the name of a guy who could be our shooter, Truman Powell. When they came back, Hailey put Truman in the interview room, and as I met up with Jay just before he could get there, I saw that he had some dried blood trailing from his nose to his chin. "Hey. What happened?"

"Powell elbowed me in the face. I'm fine," Jay exclaimed.

"You should know by now that the little act you do where you pretend to be fine doesn't work on me anymore," I confess. "Let me help you."