Grasping for Salvation

Yn's POV

"Morning guys" I say as I walked into the bullpen. "Morning Yn" Adam said to me. "You caught up on the new case" Erin asked me. "Yep. I read the file this morning. Who's presenting" I ask. "I will" Jay said. "All right then. Let the case begin" I say. "Richard Dowd, he went by Richie. He was a senior at Lakeside, captain of the lacrosse team, and winner of the dean's award for academic excellence" Jay said. "Priors" I ask. "Not unless getting early admission to Yale is a crime these days" Jay said.

"According to the ME, there were no signs of a struggle.No abrasions, no contusions, no defensive wounds. The only injuries were consistent with a dead man fall, and on top of that, his hoodie was zipped and his jewelry was intact" Erin said. "Any other physical evidence at the scene" Al asked. "Richie's iPhone was found in his pocket, but it needs a thumbprint to unlock it" Jay said. "We can subpoena the provider, but it's going to take a while to get the call logs, texts, AND emails. No exigent circumstances, that's what the phone guy's going to say. There's no imminent threat, no flight risk, that sort of thing" Adam said. "Can I see that" Al asked. Adam nodded and handed him the file. 

"Hey, where's Voight? Is he still at Ballistics" Kevin asked. "I haven't heard from him" Erin said. "That three digit code on his account number, that's a family plan. So if it's in his father's name, he could give us access to it" Al said. "Al, you still got it. Everyone, Al's still got it. Did you hear that? Erin, tweet that out. Al's still got it. The world should know" Adam said. I laughed softly and nudged Adam with my shoulder. "You're a dork. Did you know that" I ask. "Yeah, and yet you love me anyways" Adam said. "Yeah, for some unknown reason" I say. "You think Frank Dowd's ready to talk" Jay asked. "Let's find out" Al said.

............................................

"Our DOA Richie Dowd's got quite the photo collection on his phone. Most of them are this girl, right here" Adam said and put a picture on the white board. "In very few of the photos does she have any clothes on." "Her face is partially obscured in all these" Al said. "Yeah, that's about the only thing you can't see" Adam said. "Yeah, so me and Ruz haven't ID'd the girl yet, but we did a reverse Google Image search, found out that somebody's been posting the exact same pics on a revenge porn website" Kevin said. "Looks like our golden boy's not so perfect after all" Jay said. "Well, so now we have a motive. All we need to do is find out who she is, where she's at, who she runs with" Al said. "I'm wondering if we can take the partial shots of her face, put them together, make a composite image, and run it through facial recognition" Adam said. "That's definitely worth a shot" I say. "I got a buddy at OCD Tech. I bet they'd help out" Jay said.

"Guys, I've got something" Erin said and pulled another white board into the bullpen. "Seventeen years ago, Voight worked a murder case in the neighborhood he grew up in. The victim was a friend of his, owned a corner store in Bridgeport. Nick Ruffalo. At the time, they thought the shooter was this guy, Terrance Valentine. Ballistics just confirmed that they had the murder weapon wrong. The gun that shot Ruffalo is the same gun that we recovered from the Dowd crime scene last night." "Where's Valentine now" Jay asked. "He's in prison. Voight helped put him there" Al said. "We've got to figure out who killed Richie Dowd so that Voight can figure out how that gun was used in the Ruffalo murder, which is starting to look like a real wobbly conviction right now" Erin said.

A bit later, we had some more information. "All right, my connect at OCD ID'd the girl from Richie Dowd's phone. This is Jo Jo McKinnon. She goes to Kennedy Park East. She's 18, no criminal history, parents are divorced. Her dad has primary custody. His name's Raymond McKinnon. He lives at 4044 North Saber" Jay said. "All right, the sooner we move on this the better. A CI just texted me. Apparently Frank Dowd's put out a reward on the street for information on his son's killer" Al said. "How much" I ask. "15 grand" Al replied. "All right, Adam, Kev, you guys go see if Jo Jo's willing to talk" Erin said.