Remember the Devil

Yn's  POV

"Yn, would you do me a favor and bring Halstead up" Platt asked and gestured to Will, who was clad in his maroon scrubs. "Of course. Follow me" I tell him. Once upstairs, I turned to face Will. "So what do I owe this pleasure" I ask. "I need to talk to Jay" Will said. "Well, knowing him, he's in the break room brewing a pot of coffee" I say. "Thanks, Yn. You're the best" Will said to me. A few minutes later, Erin walked over to me desk. "We've got to go. New case" she said.

At the crime scene, a witness was telling us what he saw. "I was hiking Northeast. It's the fifth anniversary of my dad's death. We used to do the trail together" the man said. "Where was it that you saw this girl" Adam asked. "Not sure. I lost my bearings Wednesday, saw her Thursday. It's Friday, right? I tried to help her. I went after her, but I tripped" the man replied. "Do you have any other details about the girl" Jay asked the man said. "She was white, about my age, barefoot. She was bleeding, running from something. It was about 5 miles in when I saw her" he said. "Thanks. Go ahead, Caesar" Voight said to the paramedic. 

Once the man had been loaded into an ambulance, Jay turned to us. "All right, so there's a girl lost in the woods, she's barefoot, and it's this cold out? Sounds like the guy's hallucinating" Jay said. "There's one way to find out. Suit up. Get everyone together from every different jurisdiction in five. There won't be any footprints, but maybe we get lucky" Voight said.

Adam and I started walking through the woods, and I stuffed my already gloved hands deeper into my pockets. "You cold" Adam asked me. "Yes. How come you don't have a hat on" I ask. "Maybe because I'm not that cold" Adam replied. "You know, you lose a lot of heat through your head. Just saying" I say. Just then, Erin came over the radio. "Hank, Yn, Adam, we're a couple hundred yards north of you, approaching a cabin. We may have something." "Copy that" Voight said. "We'll be right there" I say.

When we got to the cabin, Erin and Jay were waiting out front. "We heard something, but the cabin's empty" Erin said. "Huh. Check that container" Voight said and pointed to the train car that was sitting a few dozen feet away. "That lock's new. That's weird, right" Adam asked and grabbed an ax from the log near us, using it to break the lock. Inside, there was a girl chained to a wall. "Hey, we're the police" Erin said to her. "Don't come in! There's a bomb! It's a trap. He rigged it. Please! Please, we're all going to die" she sobbed. "Check it out" Voight told us. Once we cleared that there was no bomb, Erin led the girl out of the container.

.........................................

"Our kidnapping victim's been ID'd as Juliana Parks. She's 20 years old. No priors, grew up in Indiana where her parents still live" I say. "And they never reported her missing" Voight asked. "No, they did, in Indiana, and there's a lot of money there. Her dad runs a law firm, but they were never contacted for a ransom" Kim replied. "Juliana says her head and her palms were injured from falling" Kevin said. "Running back to the cage where she was locked up" Al questioned. "That's her story. She escaped, ran into the hiker, then went back to her enclosure" Adam said. 

"All right, any details on the cabin" Voight asked. "Very, very little. It's owned by an LLC based in Wyoming, but we cannot figure out who's behind it" Kim said. "All right, so find out who sold it. We've got to start putting names to this thing. Who was Juliana Parks in contact with before she disappeared? Who knows her in Indiana? Who knows her in Chicago? And get historical locations on her car from NVLS" Voight said. "On it, boss" Adam said.

A bit later, Kim got something. "Until four years ago, that cabin was owned by Darren and Geraldine Crane. They're both local. She's a retired school teacher, full pension" she said. "Husband" Al asked. "Deceased as of last year. Over the Road trucker" Kim replied. "All right. Ruzek, let's go. Let's see if she can enlighten us on this mystery buyer" Al said. "Al, come on, did I do something wrong" Kim asked. "No, you're eating, and it's cold out" Al replied. "I'm eating too" Adam said and shoved some fries in his mouth. "I don't care about that" Al said. I laughed and glanced at Adam. "Zip up. Oh, and bring a hat" I say. "I don't need a hat" Adam said. "Well, when you come back complaining that you were cold, I'm going to say I told you so" I say. "Okay, but I'm going  to be fine" Adam said and left with Al.