Ride Along

Yn's POV

When I walked into the locker room, I caught Adam and Hailey kissing, but as soon as Adam saw me, he pulled away from Hailey's lips. "Aw. Look at you two lovebirds" I say and go to my locker, which happened to be right next to Hailey's. "She knows" Adam questioned. "Of course I know. You two are my best friends" I say and pull my jacket out from my locker. "She used her mind blowing deduction skills to figure it out. No wonder she made detective" Hailey said.

"Speaking of, did you guys hear the detective exam is coming up" I ask. "Yeah, I heard something about that" Adam said. "Oh, man, that exam is brutal. If you're going to take it, start studying now" Hailey said and pat Adam on the shoulder. "Oh, that's encouraging" Adam said. "We're just telling the truth" I say and put on my jacket. "Hey, Yn, I don't think I've ever heard the story of how you were promoted" Adam said. "When I was in Homicide, I did an undercover assignment where I was trying to figure out who was killing girls up in Lincoln Park. Because I was one who solved the case, I was promoted" I say. Just then, Jay poked his head into the locker room. "Hey. You ready to go" he asked. "Yeah. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow" I tell Hailey and Adam.

...........................................

"So, we recovered a laptop in Clay Young's apartment that traces back to a Gold Coast robbery from two weeks ago" Jay said. "Well, that's good, but Young's dead. Do we have anything on the second offender" Voight asked. "Nothing so far" Kevin replied. "We've got a name. This is Trent Stow" Adam said and put up a picture. "Techs found his fingerprints all over the Mustang." "Record" Voight asked. "Long and impressive. He's a repeat violent offender" Adam said. "Two armed robberies and three narcotics charges. It looks like he's into meth, coke, and heroin" Hailey added. "That makes sense because the M.E. said they found high doses of meth in Young's system" I say. 

"All right. So we've got two hopped-up junkies robbing to support their habit. Besides drugs, did we find a nexus between Stow and Young" Voight asked. "Yeah, they were busted ten years ago for a robbery when they were in college at CCU. Stow actually played quarterback for a season" Hailey responded. "He was a pro prospect until he beat a kid into a coma at a bar. The judge was an alum, so he got off with probation" Adam said. "He's been busted a few times for robberies, but was never convicted. This kid's been getting a free pass his entire life" Hailey said. "Hey Kim, do you recognize this guy" Voight asked. "No. All I saw was a hoodie" Kim replied. "All right. Bring in Trent Stow. See if the wife of the victim can ID him" Voight said.

Trent was not at his house, but this woman named Shelby was, and she said Trent was staying at his brother Vince's house, so Adam and I headed over there where there was a party taking place. "Do you think breaking up a kid's birthday party will be on the detective exam" Adam asked me. "Well, it definitely wasn't on mine" I say. "Vince Stow" Adam asked. "Can I help you" the man asked. "Yeah. We're looking for your brother, Trent" Adam replied. "It's my son's birthday. Can we do this later" Vince asked. "No" Adam said and shook his head. "Listen, I've got a lot of friends here, a lot of business colleagues" Vince said. "Vince, we can be real quiet, or we can be real loud and make sure everyone knows what's going on. It's your choice" Adam said. "Okay. You can talk to Trent, but only if I'm there with him, I'm his lawyer" Vince said. 

When we got inside, we gathered in the living room. "Do you know a man by the name of Clay Young" I ask Trent. "Yeah, I know Clay Young. I haven't seen him in months since I've been sober" Clay responded. "You don't look sober" I counter. "Where were you this morning" Adam asked. "I was at an N.A. meeting" Trent replied. "Yeah? Where" Adam asked. "A church off of Wabash. St. Mary's" Trent clarified. "Do you own a gray hoodie, Trent" I ask. "Don't answer that" Vince told Trent. 

"What's this all about" Trent asked. "There was a home invasion murder, and a guy, married man, two kids, was shot and killed" Adam said. "Well, I've got nothing to do with that" Trent admitted. "Trent's been working as a quarterback coach at a high school. He's had his share of trouble in the past. He's not that guy anymore. He's clean and sober. You people are making a big mistake" Vince said. "Okay, then I assume you wouldn't mind coming down at the station and doing a lineup" I say. "Oh, do you have a warrant" Vince asked me. "No, but since he's so innocent, I'm assuming that he'd want to do it of his own free will and prove to us that he's not involved" I say. "Okay, we're done talking. Please try not to disturb my guests on your way out" Vince said to Adam and I.