We Don't Work Together Anymore

Yn's POV

When I got to the district, I practically ran up the stairs. I was happy to be starting as Jay's partner. Don't get me wrong, I loved working with Antonio. However, Jay was my best friend along with Adam, so it was going to be fun working with him. Jay had his back turned to me when I entered, so I snuck up behind him and jumped onto his back. His hands instinctively came up and held my legs against his sides, and I wrapped my arms around his neck to hold myself up.

"Hey new partner" I say happily. "So you're who Voight has put with me" Jay said. "Yep. He talked to me about it the other day, and I was happy to take this opportunity" I say as Jay set me down. "Well then, lets get started on being awesome. You're going to love working with me. I promise. I do have one term though" Jay said. "And that is" I ask. "I get to drive. Erin never let me drive the car" Jay said. "Deal" I say. "All right everyone, Lindsay's task force has called us in. Lets go" Voight said.

.............................

"Our CI, Kylie, was supposed to alert us if anything went sideways. The best we got is that she tipped off Mendoza before we raided. We think they're still in Chicago, most likely looking for alternative means to move their cartel cash to Mexico" Lang said. "And that's where our unit, your unit, comes in. You guys know Chicago. We need your help tracking down the key players in Mendoza's operation. We need Intelligence to focus on Mendoza's three lieutenants: Emilio Quentin, Eduardo Fuentes, and Franco Gamboa. We find them, they'll lead us to Mendoza and the money and hopefully Kylie" Erin said.

"Lieutenants it is" Voight said. "You know, there are other guys in the cartel. Did you look into any of them" Al asked. "Mendoza is the only Zeta member we were able to get eyes on. But if you find a name, follow it down" Lang said. "We got a problem. Kylie's brother just filed a missing-persons report" Agent Castillo said. "Her brother? What's his story" Antonio asked. "He's nobody. Call OEMC, have them redact that bulletin, bring the brother in. We don't want any other agency touching this case. One of our techs can get you set up in a conference room. Analysts are at your disposal" Lang said to us. "We know what we got to do. However, we'd prefer to run this out of our own shop, if it's all the same" Voight said. "Of course. Stay in contact" Lang said.

.....................................

"I wouldn't mind the federal paycheck. It would be a lot more than I make now" Jay said. "I wouldn't mind some of those flat screens. Take this place out the '70s if you put them in here" Kevin said. "They've got nice offices and all, but I don't totally understand Lindsay going there" Adam said. "Why not" I ask. "I don't know. It's too uptight. She's all rough and tumble. I mean, maybe she's more of a ladder climber than we thought" Adam said. "Ambition ain't a crime, kid" Al said. "Hey, hey. The task force put trackers on three of Mendoza's work cars. They all came back registered to a Cassie Thomas" Jay said. "Cassie Thomas is the girlfriend to Emilio Quentin, one of the lieutenants" I say. "All right, Yn, you read, I'll drive" Jay said.

Cassie lived in a really nice condo, and seconds after we knocked, she opened the door with a dog in her arms. "I thought you were the delivery guy" she said. "Wish I was. Nice cat" Jay said and entered the condo with me following him. "Emilio Quentin, works for a guy named Damian Mendoza" I say. "I haven't seen Emilio in years" Cassie responded. "So, Cassie, how's the nail salon doing? You work part-time, right" Jay asked. "I do nail art" Cassie said. "Well then you must have really scrimped and saved to afford this place" I say and look around. "Excuse you? You can't come up in here and judge me. Having nice things isn't a crime last I checked" Cassie said. "No, but buying things with drug money is" Jay said. 

"Second time now, where's Emilio" I ask. "No clue" Cassie replied. "One of the cars Mendoza used in his operation is registered in your name" Jay said. "Emilio bought me a car after our first date. It was that good" Cassie said. "Too bad that same car matches a partial plate ripped from a homicide last month. Makes you an accessory to murder. Turn around" I say and step towards her with my hand cuffs out."Wait! I swear on my life, I don't know where Emilio is, but I did let him buy some cars in my name, and some of my coworkers too" Cassie said. "How many cars" Jay asked. "Like, 34. I don't know what he uses them for, and I don't ask" Cassie said. "Look, Cassie, what car is Emilio driving now" I ask 

As soon as I we exited Cassie's condo, I called Kevin. "Hey Yn. What's up" Kevin asked. "Grab a pen. We're looking for a dark-green SUV belonging to Emilio Quentin" I say. "All right, once I get the location, I'll send Ruzek and Al out" Kevin said. "Great. Thanks Kev" I say and hang up. At the district, Voight and Antonio were questioning Quentin in the interview room. Kevin, Adam, and Al then started searching Quentin's truck, and they found the money in a metal case in the gas tank.

When Jay and I entered the bullpen, I spotted Lindsay sitting on her old desk. "Hey, Erin" I say. "Hey Yn. How are you doing, being the only women in Intelligence at the moment" Erin asked. "It's rough, but I'll get through it. I'm going to get some coffee, so feel free to chat with Jay. I need a break from him" I say and make my way towards the break room. I knew Jay and Erin had some sort of connection, so I thought it be best if they talked about whatever was going on between them without me in the room.

After a few minutes with Quentin, Erin and Lange got an address to a scrap yard where Mendoza and his lieutenants were supposed to meet. However, by the time they got there, the meeting had already gone down, and the two lieutenants, besides Quentin, were found dead. However, Platt did have some information for u s.

"So, a CI of mine saw a kid making runs to Mendoza's counting house. Turns out he works for a cartel player named Urbina" Platt said. "Urbina's a mid-level Zetas guy, works with Mendoza. We never got eyes on him" Lang said. "We also got a watering hole for you" Roman said and handed Voight a piece of paper. "Green Mill. Nice work. All right, we did it your way. I mean, now let us do it ours" Voight said to Lang. "What do you say, Erin? What's the call" Lang asked. "I'd say we let Sergeant Voight and his team do their thing, and we keep looking for Kylie on our end" Erin replied. "Fine. Do it" Lang said.

Al and Voight went to talk to Urbina who said he put a tracker in Mendoza's money. Using the fed's help, we were able to track said tracker. "Erin said Mendoza's 50 meters away" I say to Jay, who was driving the car. "That's got to be him up ahead in this scrap metal truck" Jay said and took a left to follow the truck. "Mendoza's in a flatbed truck heading eastbound on 18th Street" I say into my radio. "Got it" Erin replied. 

Erin and Lang appeared behind us in their SUV, and for some reason, they turned their sirens on and cut ahead of us. "What the hell are they doing" I say. "I have no idea" Jay said. The scrap metal truck showed no sign of stopping, meaning we were going to need backup. We might also have to try and block an intersection, but considering Mendoza was in a truck, he could just plow right though the cars.

"Halstead, we're on your six" Adam said from my radio. "All right, he's heading toward Randolph" I say. As we turned, the Mendoza's truck's tires started deflating because they ran over some pins poking out of the ground, courtesy of Antonio. The truck drove through a fence and got stuck when it hit a pile of pebbles. Jay stopped the car behind the truck, and we both got out with our guns raised. I opened the driver's side door, and Jay pulled Mendoza from his seat, handcuffing his hands behind his back.

Back at the district, I was getting ready to go home. "Hey. Can I talk to you for a minute" Jay asked me. "Sure. What's up" I ask. "I just wanted to say that you were a great partner today. Antonio was lucky to have you first" Jay said. "Thanks, Jay. You're a good partner too. Erin was lucky to have you. Speaking of Erin, what's going on between you two" I ask. "I don't really know, to be honest" Jay said. "Well, if you want her, go get her" I say. Jay smiled and grabbed his jacket from the back of his chair. "Maybe I'll take your advice" he said. "Cool. Well, I'll see you tomorrow, Jay" I say. "See you tomorrow Yn" Jay said.