Push the Pain Away

Yn's POV

"At 8:23 AM, four shooters entered the Lakeshore Sport and Fitness and started killing. We have four confirmed dead males and one female vic in surgery at Chicago Med" Antonio said. "Now we have one shooter in custody. He remains unidentified. Three other shooters are at large" Al said. "The FBI is looking for a terrorist link. Intelligence will be coordinating the ground game. The Fusion Unit's tapping area cameras. Air One is scanning rooftops. "CTA is stopping all trains out of State and Lake and all buses are being rerouted" Antonio said.

"Now, they burned their suits and masks, so we don't know what they look like right now" Al said. "Patrolman spotted four guys wearing all black park a car two blocks east. Ran the plates, car came back hot. Inside were 400 rounds of M855s, armor piercing" Jay said. "All right, I'll redirect Patrol and set up a grid search. Move fast, move smart. Let's find these guys and keep those ambos empty" Antonio said.

"Hey, um, do you have an extra shirt in your car? I didn't get a chance to run home" Erin said to me. "I have one back at the district that you can borrow" I say. "Great. Thanks Yn" Erin said. Then I turned to Kim who was on my other side. Her and Kevin were switching places for a while for some reason unknown to me. "Welcome to Intelligence Kim" I say and pat her shoulder.

.........................................

"What do you got" Voight asked Adam, Mouse, and I as he walked into the bullpen with Commander Fischer. "Well, we ran the unknown offender's prints through NCIC. He's not in the system. We thought these guys were Army, but I struck out there, too" I say. "Is he on a watch list? You know, Homeland Security? FBI" Fischer asked. "No, but something weirder popped. See, his prints matched a set lifted from a homicide two days ago in Paoli, Indiana" Mouse said. "The victim's name was Richard Davis. He worked for Lancaster Chemical as an engineer. He was shot point blank. I've got a call in to the lead detective" Adam said.

"Then today's shooting spree, what's the nexus" Fischer asked. "Lancaster Chemical. The engineer worked there, Elkarn and Associates represents them. Four of their partners were killed today" I say. "Yeah, three in the squash courts, and one on the stairs" Mouse said. "He was running late. The four lawyers, they were targeted. We just don't know why yet" Adam said. "We still need to identify these killers" Fischer said. "Well, run them through the Indiana DMV if that's where they came from. You know, snap a picture, try and get a visual match. Maybe we can ID them that way" Voight said. "Yeah, Mouse can't do facial recognition. Not without official access to the Indiana DMV servers. Not legally anyway" I say. "Get it done" Fischer said.

Later that day, Adam and I contacted some lawyers from Lancaster Chemicals, and they agreed to come down to the station to talk to us. "Mr. McLelland, Mr. Hastings, thank you for meeting with us. It's a sad day" I say. "Our hearts go out to the Elkarn and Associates family. They lost brilliant minds this morning" Mr. McLelland said. "Listen, Mr. McLelland, we're a little confused, so we're hoping you can help us. Four of your lawyers were killed. Assassinated, really. We tied the very same shooters to the murder of one of your employees at Lancaster Chemical" Adam said. "I'm sorry, your question is" Mr. McLelland asked. "These men were targeted, and we think you know why" I say.

"Richard Davis was an engineer at our Paoli facility. He was fired for cause" Mr. McLelland said. "What was the cause" Adam asked. "As, legal counsel, all I'm prepared to say is that's a confidential matter" Mr. Hastings said. "Five men tied to your company are dead. See this" I ask and place the pictures of the dead employees in front of him. "Go ahead. Take a look. There's no cameras in here. You can speak freely. Really look at them." "Davis stole trade secrets" Mr. McLelland said. "Right, and we know he signed a $2 million settlement with Lancaster Chemical a week before he was murdered. Managing partners found this highly unusual" Adam said.