Fagin

Yn's POV

"Hey, Sarge. Erin and Jay are over here" I say and lead him into the bank. "So, one wounded, one dead" Voight asked me. "Yeah. The security guard didn't make it. Jay and Erin can tell you more. They were first on the scene" I say as we got to where Erin and Jay were waiting. Whoever did this came in heavy. They hit the tellers. They hit the vault. Vanished on motorcycles with over 150 grand, according to the manager" Jay said. "Did he say whether they handed out dye packs, GPS trackers" Voight asked. "We haven't gotten that far yet" Jay replied. "Sergeant, a witness saw one of the offenders drop this when they were fleeing. I've got no idea what it is" an officer said and handed a black rectangular object to Voight. "Oh, it's a cell jammer" he said and handed it to Jay. "Bag it as evidence, and make sure you got a copy of everyone's ID that you interviewed so far." "Yes, sir" the officer replied. 

Just as the officer walked away, a woman stopped him. 'I need you outside to move the yellow tape back 50 yards, and roll in the crime lab. Now" she said. The officer nodded and left the building. "Detective Upton. Robbery-Homicide" the woman said to us. "Hank Voight. Intelligence" Voight said. "Well, I appreciate the help, Sergeant, but as of now, this is my scene" Upton said. "My team recovered evidence and saved a woman's life. We're running point" Voight said. "Make sure those shell casings are photo'd, bagged, and tagged" Upton said to another officer before turning back to us. "I've been after this crew for the last three weeks." "Then why did my team respond first" Voight asked. "I'm from Robbery-Homicide. There's been a robbery and a homicide here. So, I'd appreciate it if you vacated my crime scene" Upton said and walked away. "She's got spunk. I like her" I say.

...................................................

"All right, what we know so far: we got a four-man takeover crew armed with Sig MPXs, dressed to the nines in Kevlar and motorcycle helmets with blacked out visors to conceal their identity. As soon as this crew enters a bank, they shoot out the security cameras, which is why there's so little footage of them. In this latest robbery, they killed a security guard, and they shot a female teller who was going for an alarm" Voight said. "We know they also use cell jammers so that nobody in the banks can call 911" Erin added. "And this crew comes in heavy, demanding all the money in the drawers and the vault. They use dirt bikes as getaway vehicles, easily cutting through traffic, which is how they've eluded responding patrol cars" Voight  said. 

"All right, I talked to an ex-burglar C.I. buddy of mine. He said the cell jammer came from Bucktown. This is Jimmy Rickert" Jay said and put up a picture. "Old-school tech guy. He illegally imports cell jammers from China into the US and sells them through his electronics business to burglars. I was able to track the serial number from the supplier in Beijing. It was delivered, along with other jammers, to his storefront a month ago." "Is there any sort of pattern to the types of banks that they're hitting" Adam asked.

"Credit unions" Detective Upton said and walked into the bullpen followed by Platt and Chief Lugo. "They're targeting them downtown. Lots of daily on-hand cash, but less security than the corporate branches. In the last few weeks, this crew's hit five banks and done over half a million in cash." "Sorry for the interruption, Sergeant" Platt said to Voight. "You get lost on your way back to Area Central" Voight asked. "You got balls, trying to steal my case" Upton said and bumped into Platt, who then spilled coffee all over herself. "Detective, that's enough. Lets talk somewhere private" Lugo said and led Voight and Upton into Voight's office. "She is bad ass. I really want to be her friend" I say.

Adam and I then went out to talk to Rickert, and we found him in his shop. "Jimmy Rickert" I say and place the police jammer we found at the crime scene on his work table. "I've used one of these before, but the thing is I'm allowed to by law. You, on the other hand, are not. So, who'd you sell it to" I ask. "You see anything that fancy on these shelves" Rickert asked. "Well, you know, I'm sure that if we tossed this place hard enough, we'd find a box that says 'sent from China,' but then you and me, we'd have all these trust issues" I say. "Listen, man, we need you to cooperate, all right? Otherwise you're going to have to spend the night in one of our luxurious overcrowded holding cells" Adam said, causing Rickert to sigh. "The last guy who bought this model, he came in a few days ago. Calls himself T-Rod. Black, maybe 30. Corn-fed fella who might run a burglary crew on the Southside" Rickert said. "All right. Thank you" I say.