The Radical Truth

Y/n's POV

"Hey. Where'd you go?" Jay asked. "I got out of the shower and you were gone."

"Uh, sorry," I say and unhook the leash from Chief's collar. "Chief wanted to take a walk, so I just went on a quick jog. You ready to head out?"

"I'm ready whenever you are," Jay countered.

"All right. Let me get changed and then we can go," I exclaim and make my way into the bedroom. After I got dressed, Jay and I drove down to the district. It was a slow morning since we didn't have a case, but I needed the rest since Jay and I had just gotten back from our honeymoon the night before.

"How were the Swiss Alps?" Kim asked as I took a seat at my desk.

"Good. It was nice getting a break," I reply. "But you know Jay. When he's off work he gets cranky."

"I do not," Jay argued. Both Kim and I glanced up from our computers at the same time and gave Jay the same look. "Okay, so maybe I get a bit cranky." That's when Adam and Platt walked out of the breakroom together, both with mugs in their hands, and I caught part of their conversation which just so happened to be about Adam's father. I had heard through the grapevine that he was retiring soon.

"Years ago, when we were babies working at the 13th, your dad would show up for his shift reciting your stats from your game the night before," Platt told Adam. 

"Aww," Jay cooed jokingly. 

"Adam went three for four last night with a double and two RBIs," Trudy recited and headed down the stairs to get back to the front desk. 

"Well, we should definitely keep doing that," I state. 

"Adam went three for four last night with a hoagie and two beers," Jay joked. 

"And a sacrifice pickle," Kim added. Both comments caused me to laugh softly, and I shook my head before returning to my work. That night, Jay and I were back at our apartment, relaxing a bit since work had gotten out early. And by relaxing, I meant that we were making out on the couch. I was sitting on top of Jay's lap, and our lips were moving in sync with each other. Our honeymoon was very physical, and I guess the two of us hadn't moved past that phase since whenever we had a free moment, it was spent kissing.

"Mmm," Jay hummed against my lips. "I could get used to this."

"Yeah? Me too," I agree and attach my lips to his again. Just before things could get more heated, my phone dinged from where it was sitting on the coffee table. I groaned and pulled myself away from Jay, reaching over to grab the device. Upon looking at the screen, I frowned.

"What is it?" Jay asked.

"It was from Adam. His dad's missing. I guess it's our new case," I say.

"Well, after you Mrs. Halstead," Jay spoke.

I smiled at the name. "Thank you, Mr. Halstead." And with that, the two of us got off of the couch and headed out to the address Adam had sent me. Once we arrived at the scene, I made a beeline for Adam and embraced him tightly. "Hey. How you holding up?"

"I'm uh, I'm doing okay, all things considered," Adam confessed. "Thanks for coming over you guys. I know it's late and you were probably busy."

"Adam, it's your dad. And because he's your family, he's also our family. Besides, Jay and I weren't doing anything that important," I admit.

Jay scoffed lightly. "Um, says you. I was enjoying myself."

"I didn't say I wasn't enjoying myself," I counter. "I was just saying that this was more important."