Signs of Violence

Y/n's POV

Mornings were always one of my favorite parts of the day. For one, shift hadn't started yet, so there was no case to stress over. And two, it gave Jay and I a little personal time. Today, I was woken up by a kiss on the cheek from Jay, whose chest was pressed up against my back. 

"Morning," Jay mumbled.

I smiled and turned over to face my husband. "Morning." Jay grinned as well and leaned in to press a kiss to my lips. I relished the feeling of kissing him and melted into his body, causing Jay to wrap his arms around me.

"You know what today is, right?" Jay questioned. "DO." 

"I can't remember the last time we had a day off together," I confess. 

Jay laughed. "I know. You want some coffee?" 

"Mm, not right now," I answer. "What I want is to just lay in bed with my amazing husband for a bit, and then maybe you could make us some pancakes for breakfast."

"I could get down with that," Jay admitted and kissed me again. After laying in bed for awhile, Jay got up to make us some breakfast, and I threw on one of his shirts before making my way out into the kitchen. Jay glanced up from the stove and caught sight of me throwing my hair up into a ponytail, which caused him to smile. "Is that my shirt?"

"Uh, yeah. Why?" I ask.

"No reason. You look cute," Jay stated. Just then, my phone buzzed, and I picked it up from the kitchen table to see who had texted me. "Who is it?"

"Hailey," I reply. "She said we've got a case."

"Ugh," Jay groaned. "But it's our day off."

"It was too good to be true. I'm gonna go get dressed. You finish those pancakes," I exclaim and head back into the bedroom. At the scene, Jay and I met up with the rest of the team. 

"This is the Clarton home, husband Ray, wife Helen, daughter Becca. I talked to the rest of the block. No one's seen them in at least two days," Hailey told us. 

"And that's odd?" Voight questioned. 

"To our neighbor, Jessica, yeah. They were homebodies," Hailey clarified. "She said she just spoke with Helen to get together the next day. She called both their cells. No one's answering." 

"I checked the phones, and they're shut off," Jay added. 

"And her car's in the garage. There's cardboard boxes upstairs. Empty suitcases. They might've been packing," Adam suggested. 

"Hey," Kim spoke and poked her head in through the front door. "I've got something weird." Kim led us outside and over to a police car where a computer was sitting. "So I ran the name and social the landlord gave me, Ray Clarton. The problem is, Ray Clarton died four years ago. He's using a fake name on everything. Utilities for the house, credit card, car, all registered to a dead man." 

"What about the wife?" I quiz. 

"She's not on paper anywhere, and I got no hits on a Helen Clarton in Chicago matching her descriptors," Kim responded. 

"The little girl, Becca, she's 12. She must be in school," Hailey offered. 

"She's not. She's not registered with CPS or a private school. I ran missing persons too, and I got nothing," Kim admitted. 

"So dig into the name, Ray Clarton, and see who had access to steal his identity. Let's do a full forensics search. Let's find out who the hell this family really is," Voight said.

.........................................

"Forensics came back. The blood in the master is two days old and belongs to a female. DNA doesn't match anything on file, but the tech said as long as the blood came from an adult, the amount of blood is not enough to positively indicate a death," Kim informed us.