Homecoming

Yn's POV

At my apartment, Jay and I had just finished some dinner. We were about to put on a movie and relax when my phone buzzed with a text. As soon as I read it, my face paled. "Yn? What is it" Jay asked. "It's from Adam. He said Al was stabbed in prison and is in surgery at Med" I say. "Lets go" Jay said and turned off the TV. We both put on our shoes and jackets at fast as we could before leaving my apartment and climbing into Jay's truck. 

When we got to Med, the rest of the unit along with Platt were there. "Hey. Any update on Al" I ask. "No. Voight's down by the surgical wing, so he'll be the first one to hear something. As soon as he does, he'll come down here to talk to us" Antonio said. I nodded and took a seat while Jay stayed standing. After a few minutes, Voight walked into the room. Right when I saw the look on his face, I knew it was going to be bad news. However, Voight didn't say anything and just shook his head, signifying that Al didn't make it.

Jay was the first one to react. He stayed still for a moment, but after a few seconds, he left the room. Kevin was next, and he just turned his back to everyone to hide how he was feeling. Hailey placed a comforting hand on Platt's shoulder, and Adam went and knelt in front of Kim, who was sobbing quietly, and wrapped his arms around her. Antonio turned around and placed his hands against one of the waiting room windows. Then there was me. It took a few seconds for the shock to wear off and the grief to set him. Instead of following Jay out the way he left, I took the other door, left the room, and found an empty hallway. Once I had done that, I slid down the wall, pulled my knees up to my chest, and cried.

I had probably known Al the least out of everyone in the unit, but that didn't make his death any less painful. I remember back when I first joined the unit, I would laugh at the way Al would tease Adam. Those days, the simpler times, were brought to the front of my mind, and now all I could think about was the good times I shared with Al. I don't know how long I was sitting their alone, but soon, Jay helped me off of the floor and pulled me in for a hug, letting me sob into his shoulder.

A few minutes later, we joined the rest of the team and Platt back in the waiting room. Everyone's eyes were red and puffy, and I bet mine looked the same. "All right. I know we're all in pain. I get it. But the best way to honor Al is to find the son of a bitch responsible for this. So, for now, let's pull all our energy, all our passion, all our love for Al, into finding the person who did this. I know that's what Al would want. I guarantee it. Then, when this is over, when we got this prick, then we'll mourn Al. So take the time you need, but just know that right now, we've got some business to do" Voight said.

.................................

"All right, where we at" Voight asked and walked into the room inside of the prison that we had set up as our bullpen. "The jail is on lockdown" Antonio said. "Good, keep me in the loop" Voight said. "Guards are going through cells, hallways, laundry rooms, looking for blood" I say. "Any eyewitnesses" Voight asked. "Not yet. We talked to inmates that were in proximity to the stabbing" Hailey spoke and carried a few boxes over to where I was sitting. "Well, inmates being blind, I get. What about guards" Voight asked. "No luck so far" Hailey replied. "The weapon's at the lab. They're checking it for prints and DNA. It was a plastic comb before they turned it into a shank" Jay said. "Boss, I found a guard who actually saw the attack. His name is Dietz. He's waiting in the hallway" Adam said. "Yn, Hailey, track down every frame of surveillance video you can get your hands on" Voight said to us. "Copy that" I say.

A few minutes later, Voight walked back into the room. "Did we get that surveillance video yet" he asked. "Ruzek's pulling it up right now" Hailey said. "All right, four cameras, all of cell block G. Here comes Al walking right there. Walks up to these two guys. They start jawing. Guard comes, breaks it up, two guys keep moving. Now it's a different angle, different camera. You're going to see the guard still with him at this point. Now, the guard's going to get a phone call right here and break away. Al keeps walking towards his cell. This is where it happens" Adam said and paused the video right before we could see Al get stabbed. For a moment, everyone was silent.