A Dead Kid, a Notebook and a Lot of Maybes

Yn's POV

"There you are Yn. I was beginning to think you were ditching me" Adam said. "What are you talking about" I ask him. "Didn't you hear? I've been reinstated which means we're partners again" Adam said. "I'm happy for you Adam. Really" I say. "Hey, are you okay? You're looking a little tired" Adam said. I looked over at Jay, who smiled when he saw me staring. "I didn't get much sleep last night" I say.

"All right. What do we got" Voight asked. "Colin Blake. Apparent suicide outside of his school. We're waiting on the ballistics, but the gun that was recovered at the scene is registered to Colin's father" Jay said. "I questioned the headmaster. He said Colin was a loner. Scholarship student, swim team. He was the kind of kid who you saw around but never noticed" Antonio said. "I checked Colin's phone. There's a few texts and phone calls, but nothing jumps out. You know, he didn't post much on social media. No manifestos" Mouse said.

"Except that in Colin's journal, he always draws his revenge fantasies with a partner. He talks a lot about a kid named EJ. 'Talked to EJ at practice. He's the only one who gets it. I have to do this no matter what. I hope EJ is with me'" Erin said. "So maybe EJ wasn't with Colin. Something happened. He didn't show up. Colin got cold feet and decided he couldn't go through with it alone, and he took himself out instead of his classmates" Jay said.

"If EJ is in fact a real person and they were in this together, he could still be planning to carry out the attack on the school" Erin said. "Well, there's no EJ at Webster, but there are four boys with those initials, and one of them is on the swim team. Ethan Jones" Adam said and put a picture on the white board. "Find him. Get expedited search warrants, talk to teachers, students, anybody who knew Colin. I need to know if there's an ongoing threat at Webster Country Day" Voight said.

.....................................

"Guys, this is Detective McCabe from the youth division. Since Ethan's a minor, he has to be in there with us" Erin said and introduced us to an older man. "As an observer" Voight said. "He's a minor who hasn't been charged with a crime. Let's play nice" McCabe said. "Jay and I will talk to him" I say. "Okay. Get in there" Voight said.

Jay and I walked into the interview room followed by McCabe and sat down in front of the Ethan. "Hey, Ethan. I'm Detective Yn Ln" I say. "I'm Detective Jay Halstead" Jay said. "And I'm Detective McCabe. I'm with the youth division. I'm here on your behalf" McCabe said. "Why am I here? I'm the one who got beat up" Ethan said. "Ethan, I think the kids at school were just scared. Not just about Colin. They're scared about you" Jay said. Ethan only scoffed and didn't say anything.

"Did you know that Colin kept a notebook? It's pretty interesting. 'Talked to EJ at practice today. He's the only one who gets it'. EJ is you, right? 'I want revenge. I want to kill'" I read out from the book. I then placed the book onto the table, and Ethan grabbed it, skimming through the pages before laughing softly. "Is there something funny to you in there" Jay asked. "If you knew what it was like, you wouldn't be too happy about it either" Ethan said.

"You're at a school with a lot of rich kids, and you didn't fit in, like Colin. The rich kids, they look down on you, bully you. You and Colin, you decide to take your revenge" Jay said. "You really don't get it. I wasn't planning to kill bullies" Ethan said. "Then what were you planning? What am I not seeing" Jay asked. "Nothing" Ethan said. "Hey, Ethan, I'm here. All right? Tell me" Jay said. Right as Ethan was about to say something, the interview room door opened and Ethan's mother walked in. From then on, Ethan didn't say anything, and because he was a minor, we had to release him.

"Yn, Jay, I got a ping on Ethan's phone. It was moving, but now it has stopped. It's at 313 Bristol Street. The house belongs to Darren Sanders" Mouse said. "That's Ethan's swim coach. Get Burgess and Roman to check it out" I say. "Okay. I'm on it" Mouse said. When Sean and Kim went to Darren's house, they saw that the word 'pedophile' was spray painted on his car

As I was walking down the hallway towards the bullpen, I was pulled into the locker room. "Jay? What the hell" I ask. Jay only smiled and led me behind a row of lockers before pressing his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck, my hands running through the hair at the nape of his neck. Just then, the door to the locker room opened, and Jay and I basically shoved ourselves away from each other. "Uh, guys" Erin said and rounded the corner. "H-hey Erin" I stutter, my face flushed from my close encounter with Jay. "What's up?" "Voight got Ethan back here. He wants Jay to talk to him" she said. "Great. I'll go do that now" Jay said and left the locker room.

When Jay went and talked to Ethan, Ethan said that Darren had gotten Ethan a scholarship at Webster, but that scholarship came with a price. It's why Ethan spray painted 'pedophile' on Darren's car. Ethan also said that him, Colin, and some other guy named Jeff were going to blow up Darren's car. However, Ethan backed out because he couldn't go through with it.

"All right, Sanders did coach at a small prep school in Milwaukee, but he never had a Jeff on any of his teams. There was one Jeffrey at the school, but he's black and he lives in London" Erin said. "I spoke to Milwaukee police. There were never any charges filed against Sanders and no victim reports" Adam said. "M.E. came back on Colin's death. Muzzle burn is consistent with suicide, but there wasn't enough gun powder residue on his hand, and the angle of entry doesn't make sense" Antonio said. "Colin was murdered" I say. "It's looking like it. Time of death between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m" Antonio said.

"Do we know where Sanders was then" Voight asked. "He was at the school with an airtight alibi for when Colin disappeared" Kevin said. "Uh, guys? I just pulled the surveillance footage from the cameras around the Emerald City Cafe on the afternoon that Colin died. There's one next door" Mouse said. We all looked at each other before gathering around Mouse as he played the video.

"So there's Colin, and that's Jeff. I know it's not much, but, you know, he's 5'10, white, he's got a tattoo on the neck. They left around 1:15" Mouse said. "So this Jeff lured Colin out pretending to be another victim and then killed him" Voight said. "Sanders has to be the one pulling the strings" Jay said. "I accessed Coach Sanders's bank records. He liquidated a college fund a week ago for $3,200" Adam said. "Where's he going to hire a hit man for that" Erin asked. "He volunteered at a juvenile detention center last year as a conditioning coach. If you throw a rock in there, you're going to hit somebody willing to pull a trigger for that price" Al said. "Find this guy" Voight said.

Jay walked into the break room to have a quick talk with Ethan, and when he walked back into the bullpen, something seemed off. "Are you okay" I ask him. "Do me a favor and don't leave me alone with the swim coach" Jay said. "Yeah. Of course. I've got you" I say and rub his arm.

After a while, we finally managed to find this so called Jeff guy. His real name was Jessie Mandel, and we were now on a hunt to find him. "Guys, Jessie Mandel's approaching the Washington and Wells Station. He's got a green backpack" Mouse said over the radio. Antonio stopped his car outside of the station, and Jay and I hopped out, chasing after Mandel. We followed Mandel through the station, but he jumped into a train car. Jay managed to squeeze through the train's doors, but I was stuck on the platform. "Shut down L platform at Washington and Wells" I say over the radio.

..........................................

During Jay's pursuit of Mandel, Mandel used the emergency button to open the train car's door and jumped onto the next set of tracks just as another train passed by. Now, our only connection to Darren Sanders was dead. We needed to find something to to help pin the hired hit-man charge on Sanders or else we were going to have to give up on the case. We figured that our only shot at this was to bring Sanders down to the district, and that ended up working in our favor. Sanders confessed to hiring Mandel, but only to scare Colin, not kill him.

"So uh, are we going to talk about that fact that Erin almost walked in on us making out earlier" I ask Jay as we were walking out of the district. "I'd prefer that we don't" Jay said. "All right. Have you thought about us telling the team about our relationship" I ask. "Can we wait a bit longer? I just want to make sure the time is right" Jay said. "I guess so. Look, I've got to get to my sister's house because we're supposed to be having dinner together tonight. We'll talk later, yeah" I ask. "Yeah. Of course" Jay said. "Cool" I say. Jay glanced around, and when he saw that no one was near us, he leaned in and placed a quick kiss on my lips. "I'll see you" he said. "All right. Goodnight Jay" I say. "Night Yn" Jay said as I climbed into my car.