At Least It's Justice

Yn's POV

"Did you guys catch the game last night? 18 seconds into overtime, Kane scores the backhander. The guy is on fire this season" Jay said as he walked into the office. When he saw that neither Al or I had responded to him, he frowned. "What's with you two" he asked. "Halstead" Voight said. "Come here for a sec." Jay entered Voight's office where Voight and Commander Perry were waiting. A few minutes later, Jay came back into the office and grabbed his jacket.

"Jay" I say and grab his arm to stop him from leaving. "I'm the one who tried to stop that freak. Now I'm the target" Jay said. "I know. Take this. It's the number for Dan Hanes. He's the best police union rep there is. You call him and then you tell me how you want to handle this" I say. "This is unbelievable" Jay said before leaving the office.

As he did, it was time to start our new case, which was a weird one. A car was found with a cut up dead body in the trunk. "The owner of the car is clean. The car was reported stolen from a parking garage about a week ago" Al said. "The torso recovered from the trunk had an artificial hip, so I asked Jin to trace the serial number and match it to the patient's name" I say. "Doing it that way is actually faster than a DNA test. It only takes me a couple hours instead of a couple weeks" Jin said. "It's a good thing you're back to doing your day job instead of personal favors. Keep hitting the bushes" Voight said.

"Hey, so you think Halstead did it or what" Adam asked as Voight walked into his office. Lindsay gave Adam an are-you-kidding-me face. "Lindsay, come on. It's a question. You never know around here sometimes" Adam said. "What's that supposed to mean" Al asked. "Nothing" Adam responded. "Just stop talking about it, okay? Jay didn't do it. End of story" I say. 

When Jin came back about 2 hours later, he had the name of the dead man. The body belonged to Dr. Richard Elliot. He was a DNA consultant who testified for the state's attorney, meaning he put away dozens of criminals. Dr. Elliot's next case was against a man named Nicholas Djurovic, so we brought him down to the district to see if he had something to do with the murder. Djurovic was in Wisconsin at the time of the murder, and Kelly Severide, who had seen the man driving the car containing the body, confirmed he wasn't the guy.

"These are all recently paroled ex-cons Dr. Elliot testified against. Do you recognize anybody" I ask. "That guy. That's the guy that we pulled out of the car" Kelly said and pointed to a picture. "Tony Johnston. He's a member of the Northsiders" Mia said. "I take it you know him" Kelly asked. "They're a hardcore white supremacist gang that formed in Stateville prison" Antonio said. "Yeah. Johnston did time for multiple rapes and was released on appeal two weeks ago. He owns a salvage yard over on West Lake" Mia said.

We all headed to the salvage yard with our gear on. "Antonio, get the gauge" Voight said. "Got it" Mia said and shot at the lock on the door. Adam then rammed his shoulder into the door thinking that it would bust open, but it didn't. "That didn't work" Adam said and rubbed his shoulder. "It's got a gate bolt" I say and point to the lock on the top of the door. Mia shot that lock too, and we were able to get inside. We all split up to find Johnson, and I found something really weird. "Al, come here" I say. He walked over to me and peered into the barrel that I had found. "That's hydrochloric acid. And I'm pretty sure that body belongs to Tony Johnston" I say.

................................................

"So Tony Johnston didn't accidentally slip into that tub. M.E. found strangulation marks on his neck, or what was left of it" Antonio said. "What about his phone" Voight asked. "Two dozen calls to his lawyer in the last 24 hours. She's got to know something" Antonio said. "All right, take Sumner, go see Johnston's mouthpiece. See what you can dig up. No, wait. Hold on. Antonio, you go with her" Voight said. "What's wrong with me and Sumner? Say it" Erin said. "I think it's better if partners are male-female" Voight said. "Let's go. Kiss my ass" Erin said to Voight as her and Mia left the salvage yard.

Erin and Mia reported back saying that Johnston was afraid of a man by the name of Jacob Sims. While Johnston was in prison, Sims took over his salvage yard and used it to traffic stolen cars. After Johnston's release, the two had a falling out over business. This info made the team realize we needed to find Sims quickly. Jin tracked his car to a gun convention in Rosemont, so Antonio, Adam, Voight, Al, and I headed over there to get him.

"Rosemont PD, in position and ready to move in" an officer said over the radio. "Rosemont PD, stand down. We will wait for the suspect to be identified. I want all these exits covered and set up for takeaways. Maintain eyes on the vehicle" Voight said. "Well, talk about the worst place in the world to take down a suspect" Adam said causing me to laugh softly. "Olinsky, did you I.D. Sims" Voight asked into the radio. "Yeah. He's on his way out and he's got a brand-new shiny akm" Al said. "All right, nobody pops off until Sims gets the artillery into his vehicle and he's out of this parking lot. We'll just box him in. Patrol, position to the front" Voight said. "10-4, moving in" Kim replied just as Sims exited the convention. 

Adam walked over to meet up with Al, and as he did, a Rosemont patrol car drove by them. "Suspect unarmed. Moving in" an officer said. "Sarge, he's jumping the gun" I say. "Rosemont PD, pull back! Pull back, Rosemont" Voight said. The officers didn't listen and got out of their car. "Stop! Police" one of them shouted. Sims then pulled out a gun and started shooting at us, so we had to duck down behind some cars to avoid getting hit. 

"Everybody, watch your aim! We've got civilians all over" Voight shouted. I watched as one of the Rosemont officers was shot, and with that, Sims ran off. I jumped out from my spot behind a car and chased after him, but with all of the commotion, I lost sight of him. "Everybody, spread out! Find this guy" Voight said.

..................................................

"The Rosemont police officer who was shot died on the way to the hospital. He had a wife and two kids. We lost that guy" Voight said. "Technically, that wasn't our fault because he acted against our orders" I say. "Yn" Antonio said. "What? I mean, yeah, it's sad that he died, and I'm sure his family will miss him, but at the end of the day, his actions were what cost him his life" I say. "Well, he was still a police officer, so we go down whatever dark hole we have to in order to find Sims" Voight said.

Later that night, I knocked on the door to Jay's apartment. "Hey Yn. What are you doing here" Jay asked me. "I figured you might be drinking, and no one should be drinking alone. Also, I brought whiskey" I say and hold up a bottle. Jay poured us each a glass of the whiskey, and we sat down on the couch. "I had my badge taken away from me once. It's the worst feeling in the world" I say and take a sip of the alcohol.

"What happened" Jay asked me. "I was involved in an office involved shooting, and for awhile, it was declared unlawful because there was no one else around and there were no cameras. I was at risk for losing my job, and there was nothing I could do about it" I say. "Well, I'm guessing the case went your way since you still have your job" Jay said. "Yeah, but only because a private company came forward with their security camera footage that no one knew they had. If it wasn't for them, I'd have lost my job" I say.

"I didn't kill Lonnie" Jay said. "I know" I say. "Can I run something by you" Jay asked. "Yeah. Sure" I say. "Phil Rodiger gave his statement, and he said that his son never came home that night, but I know he did" Jay said.

The next day, Mia contacted a CI who told us Sims used to hang out at a trucking yard on South Racine that would take him to Indianapolis, so we all suited up and headed out. The manager of the trucking yard said trucks to Indianapolis were in rigs 3, 12, and 16. Al and Antonio were using a machine to check for body heat on rigs 12 and 16 from the outside, so Voight, Erin, Adam, and I were checking rig 3 from the inside. Sims was nowhere in rig 3, but Antonio came over the radio saying that Sims was in rig 16.

As soon as we exited rig 3, Sims started shooting at us. We all pulled out our guns and shot back at him, but none of us were able to hit him. Sims, however, managed to get Adam with a bullet. "I've got him! You guys go" I say and drop down next to Adam. Erin and Voight nodded and took off after Sims. "I got hit" Adam said. "I know. Let me see" I say and unstrap his vest. "The vest stopped it. You're okay. Take a deep breath. You're all right."

That same night, Phil Rodiger confessed to killing his son, meaning Jay was innocent. He would be coming back for our next case. "Are we going on for drinks tonight" Adam asked everyone. "You sir, need to rest up because of your injury, and I'm exhausted, so I'm heading home" I say. "All right, night Yn" Antonio said. "Night" I reply.