In A Duffel Bag

Yn's POV

"Come on stupid shirt" I say and tug on the piece of fabric that was caught in my car door. When I had closed the driver side door of the car, a part of my shirt had gotten caught in the door. I tried using my key to unlock the door, but it wouldn't open. "Come on" I shout slam my hand down on top of my car. "Need some help" Adam asked and appeared next to me. "Thank god you're here, Adam. I need you to yank my shirt out of the door" I say. "How'd it even get stuck in there" Adam asked. "That's not important. Can you please just help me" I ask. "Sure" Adam said.

Adam grabbed the piece of cloth that was right underneath what was stuck, and with one good yank, it came free from my car door. The good news was that my shirt was free. The bad news was that it was now ripped. "Perfect. Just perfect. The day I decide to wash all of the extra clothes in my locker, my shirt rips" I say. "I've got a hoodie you can borrow, if you want" Adam suggested. "That would be great. Thank you" I say.

After putting on Adam's hoodie, we both walked into the bullpen. "Whose is that" Jay asked and gestured to the hoodie I was wearing. "Oh. It's Adam's" I say. "What are you doing with Adam's hoodie" Jay asked with a hint of jealousy in his voice. "My shirt ripped, and I don't have any extra clothes in my locker. Not that it matters what I say though, because you probably think that because I'm wearing his clothes, I'm cheating on you. But to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if we're together anymore based on the way things have been lately. Now, if you'll excuse me, we've got a case to work on" I say and sit down at my desk, avoiding Jay's gaze.

"The crime lab is still working on the pajamas and the blanket, but the duffel was part of a promotion by Punch Sports Club last May. The guy I spoke to said they gave out a hundred of them" Jay said. "Did they have to fill out a card in order to get one" Voight asked. "No, they were handed out at a street fair. You know, local band, tents for area businesses, and a radio station" Jay said. "Okay, but what about video" Al asked. "I called the radio station. They had some for promotion. Uh, street fair too. They're sending it over" Adam said.

"I'm searching social media for any photos or video tagging the fair" Mouse said. "Well, run everything you get through facial recognition as soon as you get it. Jay, put together a list of everybody who signed up on the heels of Punch's promotion. Run every name and address" Voight said. "That was forensics. The pajamas and the blanket were mass market, so they're still looking into that, and the rocks were pulled up from where the girl was left" Kevin said.

"Back in Homicide, we had a case similar to this. I'm pretty sure someone tried to sink the baby, but they chickened out last-minute" I say. "What happened" Jay asked. "I'm sorry" I question. "That case. What happened" Jay asked again. "Oh. Some junkee gave birth to a baby and tried to sell it for money, but when that didn't work out, she put it in a potato sack and made it sink to the bottom of the Chicago River" I say.

"Well, this isn't some abandoned baby with the umbilical cord still attached. She had a blanket, her own pajamas. That means somebody cared for her and I want to know who. I want a doctor, I want a birth certificate, I want the parents. I want to know what happened. And I want to know why" Voight said. "We're on it" I say.

.....................................

Turns out that the baby wasn't dead. In order to be dead, you have to be warm. When we found the baby, she was cold. Dr. Manning was working on getting the baby's temperature back up and was doing everything she could to keep the baby alive. After running some tests, the doctors determined that the baby had sickle cell, which meant that one of the parents had to have it. We searched through the files of people coming for sickle cell treatments in Chicago, and we found that a guy named Trey Butler was driving past where the baby was found at around 2 am, which is about the time the baby was left there. Upon further examination, we also found out that Trey was the baby's father. When questioned at the district, Trey told us that around 10 months ago, he was here in Chicago and hooked up with a girl named Tana Meyer. Jay and Erin talked to Tana's father because she was out of the country, and he said they gave the baby to another family, but he didn't know their last names. However, the midwife, Mariela Hernandez, who delivered the baby did, so now we were focused on her.