Season 4; The Silos

Yn's POV

I shot up in bed, sweat beading my forehead. On instinct, I reached out next to me to find comfort in Jay, but then I remembered that we weren't together anymore. "Hey! Are you okay? You were kind of shouting in your sleep" Ollie said from his spot at the entrance to my bedroom. Ollie had just gotten back from deployment, and I offered him a place to live for a while until he could find a permanent apartment. He was going to be staying in Chicago for a while before he had to go back to Iraq again.

"I'm fine" I say. "Really? Because you kept saying the name Yates" Ollie said. I ignored him and rolled out of bed, walking over to my closet to pick out my clothes for the day. "Yn, maybe you should talk to someone" Ollie suggested. "About what" I ask. "Your nightmares. You've been having them almost every night, meaning you're getting next to no sleep. That's not healthy for you, Yn" Ollie said. "Are you a cop? Because if you were, you'd know that nightmares were normal" I say snarkily. "Okay, but you're having tons of nightmares about Yates, Yn. You were fine until you broke up with Jay. You should go talk to him" Ollie said. "Jay's dating Erin now, if you didn't know, and besides, I don't need to talk to anyone. Look, I've got to go to work, so if you don't mind" I say and shove him out of my bedroom lightly.

At the district, a case was already under way. "Okay where we at with the wire the DOA, Evan Berner, was wearing" Voight asked. "The tech lab confirmed that it is CPD-issued" Mouse said. "And no one's stepped forward to say they're working with this kid" Voight asked. "No, no one yet" Jay said. "I want a full work-up on the DOA's sister, Ally. Something was up with her at the house" Al said. "I agree" Adam said. "Okay, I'm on it" I say. 

I began typing away at my computer, and file opened up. "Okay, Ally Berner. It looks like an Officer Ricci out of Narcotics brought her in two weeks ago, but there's no record of any arrest. It must've been a catch-and-release" I say. "All right, let's get Ricci on the phone" Al said. "I'm on it" Adam said. "I'm stepping out for a bit. Keep me posted" Voight said. "Hang on, Sarge. Commander Crowley's on the 7447 line for you" Mouse said. "Take a message" Voight said and left the bullpen. "All right, Ricci's out on a buy with her team, so she's not going to come up for air until this afternoon" Adam said. "All right, let's take a ride" Al said to him. "You know, that's the third time that she's called for him today" Mouse said. "Everybody just do your jobs" Antonio said.

A bit later, Jay walked over to my desk. "Want to talk to Ricci with me" he asked. "Uh, sure" I say. We gathered our things and got into Jay's car, and just so things wouldn't get awkward, I started up a conversation. "So how's your day been going so far" I ask. "Fine, I guess. Ollie called me earlier" Jay said. "Yeah? About what" I ask. "He said you've been having nightmares" Jay said. "Well, most police officers do" I say. "Nightmares about Yates" Jay clarified. "I can't believe he said something to you. I'm going to have his neck when I get home" I say. "Yn, he's your older brother. He's just trying to take care of you" Jay said. "By calling my ex-boyfriend? Yeah, because that'll actually help. Look, it's none of your business, and it certainly isn't his, so just drop it, okay? I'm fine" I say as we pulled up to a police district. Right as we climbed out of Jay's truck, Officer Ricci walked over to her car.

"Officer Ricci" Jay asked. "Yeah" she said. "Detectives Halstead and Ln. Intelligence. What do you know about Evan Berner" Jay asked. "Uh, he was working a case for me. He got cold feet; he took off" Ricci said. "He was found torched in his car yesterday" I say. "Are you messing with me right now" Ricci asked. "No" Jay replied. "Well, do you have anybody in custody?" "No, we don't" Jay said. "We went on a buy. Evan went mobile with the target, which he wasn't supposed to do, but I just figured he boogied. Happens all the time. You guys know that. Tried calling him couple times. No dice, so I was just waiting for him to come forward" Ricci said. "I think you're lying to cover your ass" I say. 

"Who the hell are you to talk to me like that" Ricci asked me. "Well, first off, I'm a detective, so I outrank you. And second, you let his sister think she was looking at ten years and a felony charge on a dime bag. Then you let Evan step into her shoes, so I'm going to talk to you however the hell I want to talk to you" I say. "You flip the minnows to get to the sharks. Do you even know how Narcotics works" Ricci asked me. "Actually, I do. I've got a friend who worked there" I say. "Yeah" Ricci asked. "So where's your pre-raid plan? I'd like to see it. And I'd like to know who was on your team" I say. "Uh, my team got called into court at the last minute. That's why it was just me and Mike Kendricks, my partner" Ricci said. "Interesting. What about the 1505 buy money? Where is it? Who signed it out? And who wired Evan up? They did a crap job" I say. "All right. Lets calm down" Jay said to me.

"Let's start over, okay? We're all on the same team here, right? Maybe I cut a couple corners, okay? Look, I'm just trying to get my arrest and my activity rate up" Ricci said, causing me to scoff. "Who was the target? Let's start there" Jay said. "Connor Wix. He's a big MDMA dealer. Ex-Marine. Owns a gym in Bucktown. He's a piece of work, this guy" Ricci said and handed Jay a file from her trunk. "And this is who got into Evan's car before you lost him" Jay asked. "Yeah, that's right" Ricci said. "You know, I'll bet you knew Evan got killed yesterday, and you were just hoping no one connected the dots back to you" I say." You work for Hank Voight in Intelligence, and you're lecturing me? Save it" Ricci said. "Do you want to fight? Cause I can take you right here, right now" I say. "Yn, lets go" Jay said. I glared at Ricci one last time before walking away with Jay.

................................................

"All right, according to the phone records, Wix had these four women working for him, probably his couriers. Three of them are strippers, for whatever that's worth, but one of them stood out. Nikki Culler. It looks like she did some smurfing for Wix. She hit multiple currency exchanges, but kept everything under 3K so as not to elicit a Suspicious Activity Report. The thing is, she did it so many times, she got reported anyway" Adam said. "Where's Lindsay" Voight asked. "She's working the case" Jay replied. "Ah, here we go. Wix and Nikki have a three-year-old son together. Child Services has been to their apartment three times over the past two years" Kevin said.

When Voight brought Nikki into the district, he got her to go undercover for us. She went to talk to Wix, and she got him to confess to Evan's murder, so we moved in and got him. As the whole team was watching some patrol officers take Wix away, Commander Crowley pulled up in a car and climbed out to meet us. "Commander" Voight said. "Would you come with us, Sergeant" she asked. Voight nodded and got into her car while the rest of us just glanced at each other. I mean, there was nothing we could do for him because none of us knew anything. Maybe Erin knew what happened, but she wasn't going to say anything if she did.

That night, I walked into my apartment and found Ollie watching some TV. "Hey Yn" he said as I set my stuff down. "Don't hey me. You know what you did" I say. "So you talked to Jay" Ollie asked. "He said you called him about my nightmares. I then told him to just drop the issue" I say. "Look, Yn, I seriously think you should talk to someone" Ollie said. "I'm not 5 years old anymore, Ollie. I've been taking care of myself just fine while you weren't here" I say. "Yn" Ollie said. "I'm going to bed" I say to him before heading into my room. After changing into some comfortable pajamas, I climbed in bed, however, I couldn't seem to fall asleep because all I could think about was all of the horrors I had experienced while being a police officer.