She's Got Us

Yn's POV

"Ln! Get over here" Platt shouted as I got to the stairs. I stopped dead in my tracks and sighed before back tracking over to the desk. "Yes" I ask. "Are you and Halstead still a thing? Cause we've got a betting pool among patrol, and I'm not looking to lose my 20 bucks" Platt said. "I really don't think it's any of your business, Sarge, and it's not patrol's either, so keep my personal life out of your conversations" I say harshly and head for the stairs. 

"Hey. What's up with you" Platt asked and followed me upstairs. "Nothing, okay? Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to get to work" I say as we entered the bullpen. "Warning, you've got a cranky detective here" Platt said to everyone. "Hey. Is everything okay" Adam asked. "If one more person asks me that, I swear to God" I say and slam my jacket down onto my desk. "Whoa, Ln. Calm down" Voight said. "Sorry. Can we just get on with the case" I ask.

"All right, Darren and Jeni Carlson. Both 48 years old. Lifelong residents of Chicago. Both their daughters were in public high school. Their son, he was 10 years old. Tough kid. Beat leukemia. Lastly, their daughter, Polly. She's 12 years old. She's our only survivor. Darren used to work for the City Planning Department" Adam said. "Jeni was a manager at a commercial printer. They had about a dozen LLCs in their names" Antonio said. "Yeah, they were definitely hustlers. Darren manages a few rental properties. I got patrol knocking on doors right now. We might just be looking for an aggravated tenant" Kevin said. "Yeah, Jeni was raising money to buy a fast food franchise. I'm looking into their investors. They also had a $50,000 advance from a company called Horizons" Antonio said. 

"Horizons? That's a pyramid scheme. They do these seminars to teach leadership skills, but it's a total scam" Al said. "So, we got nothing on the pod cameras yet, boss. Neighborhood Watch didn't see anybody fleeing" Adam said. "We've got the .40 caliber shells left at the scene. None of them match the ballistics database so far" Kevin said. "So it's either a single shooter or they only discharged the one weapon" Antonio said. "There was no sign of forced entry, so they knew who the killer was" Adam said. 

"Look, what I want to understand is who exactly the Carlsons are in business with. These people are scrambling to do right by their family. Somewhere along the line, it went bad. And let's not assume the kids are just collateral damage. I mean, they've got two teenage daughters" Voight said. "The surviving daughter is our only eyeball witness. She's on a three-day psych evaluation at Med, and Jay and Erin are waiting to talk to her" Antonio said. "Her aunt and uncle in St. Louis are her closest family. They're going to be on the first flight tomorrow" Adam said. "Polly. 12 years old. She's got nobody in the city" Al said. "Well, she's got us" Voight said.

.......................................

"Hey, boss? So Horizons won't give us the members that Darren sold memberships to. We had a guy in the Assets Forfeiture Unit look into it" Adam said. "Yeah, we've got him working backwards through the bank" I say. "The Carlsons signed up everyone on that list, and then those people, they turn around and sell to the other suckers. We're thinking there's a motive there" Adam said. "Yep, and this guy here stands out. Allan Sloan. He sent a few emails. No death threats, necessarily, but close enough" I say. "And he got popped for a drunk and disorderly, like, four days ago" Adam added. 

"All right, Ruzek, you and Atwater find him. Get him in a room" Voight said. "I'm sorry" I ask. "Ruzek and Atwater are going to check this guy out" Voight said. "But I helped find this information. I should be going out with Adam to see it through" I say angrily. "Well, until you calm your temper, you're not leaving the district" Voight said. "Unbelievable" I say and storm back to my desk, slouching down into my chair.

"Hey" Antonio said and walked over to be, perching on the edge of my desk. "What's up" I ask. "If there's ever anything you want to talk about, know that I'm here to listen" Antonio said. "Why do you think I need someone to talk to" I ask. "You've had 2 angry outbursts since shift started, and that's not like you at all. I'm here for you, Yn. We all are" Antonio said and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Right. Thanks, Antonio" I say.