Season 1; Stepping Stone

Yn's POV

"Hey guys. Do we have a new case today" I ask my unit. I was apart of the Homicide unit, meaning I dealt with murders, and murders only. "Not yet. Sergeant Kavanaugh was talking to the Commander, which means we'll probably be getting a new case in a few minutes" my coworker Johnny said. "Hey detective. I noticed that you didn't come home last night" my boyfriend, Detective Archie Mullins said and kissed my cheek. "My sister wanted me to stay over at her place while her husband and kids were visiting relatives up in Michigan. You know how much she hates being alone in her house" I say.

"New case yet" Charlotte asked as she entered the office. "No" Archie, Johnny, and I say at the same time. "All right then" she said and took a seat at her desk. I shrugged off my jacket, hanging it on the back of my desk chair before taking a seat. I then rested my legs against the top of my desk and pulled out some paper work that I needed to finish from our previous case. "Are you still working on paperwork from the Sanders case" Johnny asked me. "Maybe" I say. "Yn, that case was from last week" Archie said. "You guys know I procrastinate. It'll get done today though. I promise" I say.

Just then, Sergeant Kavanaugh entered the office. "Hey Boss. Do we have a new case" Charlotte asked. Sergeant Kavanaugh ignored her and turned to me. "Can I have a word" he asked. "Sure" I say without getting up from my desk. "In private" Sergeant Kavanaugh said. I got up from my desk slowly because I was unsure what this was about. Sergeant Kavanaugh led me into his office and shut the door behind me, which meant that this was serious.

"Boss, if this is about the Sanders case paperwork, I promise to get it done. I just need until-" Sergeant Kavanaugh cut me off quickly. "I'm transferring you to another unit Ln" he said. "Wait, what" I ask. "The Intelligence Unit over in the 21st needs a new detective, and I volunteered you for it. You start tomorrow" Sergeant Kavanaugh said. "But what about all the work I've done here" I ask. "You're being promoted Ln. I don't see what the big deal is" Sergeant Kavanaugh said. "Okay, but what about Johnny? Who's going to be his partner" I ask. "I'm sending him to the academy later to pick out a recruit. Now, I suggest you start packing up. I can't have you in here when we start our new case" Sergeant Kavanaugh said and handed me a cardboard box.

I left Sergeant Kavanaugh's office with tears in my eyes, and as soon as I did, everyone looked up from their desks. "Yn? What's wrong" Archie asked and stood up. "I'm being transferred" I manage to say. "What? What do you mean you're being transferred" Johnny asked. "Starting tomorrow, I'll be working in the Intelligence Unit in the 21st district" I say. "Okay, but that's one of the best units in the city. You should be happy" Charlotte said. "I should be, but I'm not. This isn't fair. I just want to stay here" I say and walk over to my desk.

I didn't have that many thing on or in my desk, only my CPD mug, a picture frame containing a photo of the team, my secret stash of chocolate bars, and my favorite ballpoint pen. Once I was done packing, the team and I group hugged. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to hold back my tears. "I'll see you at the apartment later" Archie said and kissed me quickly. After bidding everyone one last goodbye, I left the office.

The next morning, I walked into the 21st district with my cardboard box tucked under my arm. As I approached the front desk, the woman sitting behind it looked up. "You must be Detective Ln. Welcome to the 21st. I'm Sergeant Platt" she said. "Nice to meet you. But please, call me Yn" I say. "Well Yn, I need you to sign a few things to make your transfer official, and then I can take you to meet your new unit" Platt said. "Cool. Lets get started" I say.

After filling out some paperwork, and putting my hand print into the scanner, Platt lead me upstairs into an office. "Has anyone seen Voight" Platt asked. "Uh, he's in his office. Sarge" a brunette woman shouted. Seconds later, a middle aged man exited his office. "I was beginning to wonder when you were getting here" Voight said. "Sorry Hank. I needed her to fill out some paperwork" Platt said. "All right, well, I guess introductions are in order. Everyone, this is Detective Yn Ln. She's going to be joining the unit" Voight said.

"Uh, hey" I say awkwardly. The first person to step up to me was the brunette. "I'm Detective Erin Lindsay" she said and shook my hand. Slowly, I was introduced to the rest of the team. There was Detective Alvin Olinsky, Officer Adam Ruzek, and Detective Jay Halstead. As I turned to introduce myself to the last person, a middle aged hispanic gentleman, he stormed past me and left the office. "Okay, um, what the hell was that" I ask. "That is your new partner, Detective Antonio Dawson" Jay said. "I'm getting the feeling that he doesn't like me very much, even though I just got here" I say.

"He's got a lot on his plate. The reason you're here, well, it's because his partner just died in a shooting the other day" Jay said. "Oh, okay" I say. "His son was also just kidnapped, so that's making things even worse" Jay said. "This is one hell of a first day. So, where do I put my stuff" I ask. Jay patted the desk closest to us. "Right here. I'd unpack quickly though. We've got a case to start" Jay said.