All Cylinders Firing

Yn's POV

I walked into work with my sunglasses on along with a dark green hoodie, some blue jeans, and a pair of sneakers. My head was pounding, and bright lights hurt my eyes. I'll admit, I was hungover. When I got upstairs, I was met by Kim, Kevin, and Adam. "Rough night" Adam asked. I cringed as his voice hit my ears. "Can you quiet down a bit, please" I ask and take off my sunglasses to get used to the light. "Sorry. Rough night" Adam asked quietly. "Yeah. Ollie wanted to go out clubbing last night, and I had a bit too many shots" I say. "I'll say" Kevin said and laughed softly. "Where is everyone" I ask. "Antonio and Al are at the crime scene and Jay and Erin are at the hospital" Adam said as Voight walked in with a few boxes.

"I don't think this was a random attack. These are CRs filed against Platt. The top two are lawsuits she's racked up" Voight said. "Well damn" I say and take in all of the boxes. "We think she knows her assailant. A guy came in the district last week, made threats. I want to know why, and I want to know who, and fast" Voight said. "Sergeant, you know we got those new cameras installed downstairs? It's a new security measure, so if the guy was a walk-in, you'll see him on the cameras" Kim said. "I'll contact OEMC, get access. In the meantime, look at every page" Voight said.

"If you don't have any lawsuits filed against you, you're a fake-ass cop" Adam said. "Well, in that case, Platt's real as hell" Kevin said. Both Kim and I looked at him with not-the-right-time faces. "Right. Bad joke. Let's dive in" Kevin said. We all took a box and sat down before beginning to look through our boxes. This was going to be a long day.

A while later, we got the camera footage from the lobby. "All right, these are all Platt's shifts since the cameras went in. That's me walking in right there" Adam said and showed us some footage. "We see that, Adam. Scroll faster" Kim said. "You got it" Adam said and scrolled through more video. "Wait, what's that" Kevin asked. Adam stopped scrolling, and the footage showed a younger age African American man. "That's Malik. He runs the liquor store on 22nd. Let's go" Kim said.

......................................

When we talked to Maliq, he said Platt had come over to his store to provide security for his nephew while he dropped off the accumulated money from his stores to his bank. During that, she had mentioned going to have dinner with her dad. We headed there next, and that's when we found Platt's father's dead body.

"Robert Platt, age 72. This is no longer an isolated attack against a sergeant in our district. Mr. Platt was found in his apartment. He'd been beaten, shot several times with a .357 caliber" Voight said. "He's got no priors, but he was investigated by Financial Crimes and the IRS. Three buildings, his development company put up, they went bankrupt" Adam said. "He made a lot of people rich in the '80s and lost money for them ever since" Al said. "Neighbor called in shots fired at 10:04 p.m. Patrol responded by throwing the zone operator a code 19-Paul" Antonio said. 

"And nobody else called in the shots" Adam asked. "No, so patrol didn't knock, but that gives us a timeline. Platt leaves her house, offender enters, shoots Robert. Platt buys a water bottle at CVS. 15 minutes later, she's attacked" Antonio said. "And Robert wasn't robbed" I add. "Nothing appeared to be disturbed, except for the living room where there was an apparent struggle" Antonio said. "All right, listen. I liked Robert, but I think we're looking at the wrong Platt. I want you to cross-reference everybody he did business with against anybody Trudy arrested, beefed with, anything. She's counting on us to get this right, so is her husband. So am I" Voight said.

.........................................

"So we think Platt got a bad vibe off the girl her dad was dating, so she did a records search. That's Natalie Kern. She's got an ex-boyfriend. His name's Leonard Milwood, career stickup guy" Jay said. "So, Trudy thinks these two are gonna rip off her old man, but they find out she's looking into them" Voight asked. "And then she becomes collateral damage" Jay said. "All right, well, get two covert cars to sit on their houses" Voight said. "I already did. The uniforms haven't seen either one of them yet" Erin said. "I flagged all of Robert Platt's credit cards. One of them just swiped at a business over on Roosevelt. A flat-screen TV and case of white wine was purchased. Security saw a female, white, 30s, good-looking. This is two minutes ago" Adam said. "That's Natalie" Erin said. "Go" Voight said.

The team brought back both Natalie and Leonard, but both of them said that they did not murder Platt. However, Natalie did admit to stealing from him a few times. "Antonio, this is from the Asset Forfeiture Unit. Robert Platt really was transferring ownership in all those LLCs to Trudy Platt's name. We're still waiting on subpoenas for three other banks" I say. "Yeah, he did a pretty good job too. Can't find his name anywhere" Kevin said. "Even so, Platt's rich, like, officially" Adam said. "So at this time, we can't find a financial motive for these attacks. So what, it's personal? It's revenge" Antonio asked. "Who wants to go scare some guys? You, Kevin, come on" Al said. "Wise choice" Kevin said and left with Al. "Why does everyone always pick Kevin when they need someone scary" I ask. "Maybe because Kevin is tall and super muscular. I'd be scared of him if I didn't know him" Adam said.

When Al and Kevin were out, they got us security footage from the block where Platt was attacked. "So there are no plates, but Olinsky pulled a video of a '68 Ford Fastback Mustang circling the block where Platt was attacked" Erin said. "Like the driver was looking for someone" Jay said. "Or a parking space" Voight suggested. "It's a rare car, V-8 engine, like our one almost-witness said that they heard" Jay said. "Find every car registered in the state, anyone who's ever owned one. Check the hot sheet, see if any are reported stolen. Keep it off the zone" Voight said. "You got it" I say.

.........................................

"Dark red 1968 Mustang Fastback. Not a lot of these left around. This one belongs to Wade McGregor" Erin said. "McGregor, his name popped in Platt's dad's files" I say. "Yes, McGregor ran a construction company that did work for Platt's dad, and he also invested in one of her father's business deals that went into receivership when the economy tanked" Erin said. "The file also says he ran a side business distributing narcotics. He's fresh out Stateville for an eight-year bump" Jay said. "How's he connect with Sergeant Platt? She didn't arrest him. Narcotics pinched him. He's not in any of her files" Antonio said. "Their paths might've crossed at some point. Platt knows how to cover her tracks" Jay said. "What's that supposed to mean" Voight asked. "It's true" Jay responded. "Just get that file in front of Trudy and see if she can make a connection" Voight said.

After chasing some more leads, we finally caught McGregor. Now, it was time to head out. While I was packing up my things, my phone buzzed, and I looked to see that I had gotten a text from Ollie. As I looked at the text, I groaned. "Everything okay" Adam asked me. "Ollie wants to go out clubbing. Again" I say. "If you really don't want to go, then just tell him that" Adam said. "Yeah, but him and I rarely get to spend time together because he's usually deployed somewhere in the Middle East" I say. "Okay, so go, but don't have as many shots" Adam suggested. "I need the shots to help me get through the night" I say. "You're impossible" Adam said. "That's why people love me. It's one of my many perks. I'll see you next shift" I say. "Yeah. See ya" Adam said.