Captive

Yn's POV

We were currently at Molly's celebrating Platt's birthday, and a karaoke machine had been set up. "You're next, Antonio. How about a little Sinatra" Hailey asked. "That's grandpa music. I'll find something" he replied. "Seriously" Hailey asked. "Yeah" Antonio said. "You understand the majesty of the Chairman of the Board, right Jay" Hailey asked. "I wouldn't mind hearing a little 'Summer Wind'" Jay admitted. "All right" Hailey said.

"So Yn, do you plan on singing something tonight" Jay asked me. "Oh no. I am not going to embarrass myself in front of all these people" I say. "What? Come on" Hailey said. "No. No way. You would need to give me a million dollars" I say. "But you have an amazing voice" Jay said. "Which you only know about from snooping on me in the shower" I say. "Guilty as charged" Jay said. "Now I've got to hear you sing" Antonio spoke. "Nope. Still not doing it" I say and take a sip of beer. "Don't worry, guys. One day I'll persuade her to sing" Jay said. "Whatever you say, Jay. Whatever you say" I tell him.

The next morning, we had de-escalation training, which was not very fun. "You're late" Platt said to Adam as he entered the garage. "I know. I'll do the make-up test. I was looking for Kev" Adam said. "Any luck at his house" Voight asked. "No. Mail's untouched, his bed's still made. But his car's not there so it looks like he never came home" Adam replied. "And he's a no-show for this" Kim added. "Let's track him down. Trudy, ping his direct connect phone" Voight said. "Last night he said he had to take care of something in Bucktown. He ever mention anything like that to you" Adam asked Kim. "No" she said. "Anything about Jordan and Vinessa" Voight asked. "No. I mean last time I heard, they were doing great" Adam said. "Hey, I think I got him. Phone's pinging from Rosewood. 4458 North 14th Street" Platt said. "That's a long way from Bucktown" Kim said.

We found Kevin's car out in front of a house registered to a Joe Baker. Inside of the house we found Kevin's badge, along with a small puddle of blood. "I just talked to Mattison at the lab. The blood in Baker's living room is a match to Atwater" Platt said. "Sarge, we got something. I've been monitoring Joe Baker's social media. This just got posted" Hailey said and showed us a video. "There's Kevin in the background. This video was posted anonymously. Screen name 'Venganza'." "Means revenge" Antonio said. "This profile's fake. It was created just to post this" Hailey said. "All right, we know we've got at least two offenders. There's one guy filming, and one guy doing the beating" Jay said. 

"Let's get some OCD techs on this right away. I want someone we can trust" Voight said. "I got a guy" Jay said. "Good, use him. Al, Antonio. You shake down every Latino gang, drug crew associated with Joe Baker. Hailey, freeze on that fist" Voight said. Hailey paused the video, and we were able to get a good look at the tattoo one of the offenders had. "It's a Mexican flag, gangster style" I say. "All right, see if it pops with any of our knowns" Voight said to me. "Look at the windows. Stained glass" Platt said. "Yeah. Church" Adam asked. "Could be. Good news, he's alive" Platt said. "Yeah, and he's going to stay that way" Voight said.

...................................

"Sarge, according to Halstead's guy at OCD, the Facebook post is a dead end. The IP address is encrypted. I had more luck digging into Joe Baker, and found a connection between him and Atwater. That is Ronnie Cartwright" I say and show Voight a photo. "Five years ago Ronnie robbed a 7-Eleven in West Lawn. He killed the clerk, the whole thing is caught on video, and Ronnie's on the lam." "Atwater made the arrest" Voight asked. "Yeah, Atwater was conducting a canvas, sees Ronnie coming out of the housing projects. Ronnie runs. Atwater corners him. Ronnie pulls a gun. Good-bye Ronnie. Atwater went through the Round Table, IPRA, IAD, you name it. It was ruled a good shoot" I say. "Okay, I'll bite. What's this got to do with Joe Baker" Voight asked. "Everything" I say. "Hey, we found Michelle, the girl that messaged Atwater last night. She's Joe Baker's sister" Adam said. "Bring her in now" Voight said to us.

While Kim and Voight were talking to Michelle, Adam and I were sitting at our desks, which were connected, and mind you, at the moment, we weren't really talking. "Can I ask you a question" I ask Adam. "Sure" he said. "If Woods didn't have anything on your sister, would you have done what he asked" I ask. "No. Of course not. This unit is my second family. Yn, I'm sorry, okay? Please forgive me. I'm doing everything I can to help take Woods out. But right now, all I want is my partner back" Adam said. "It is so hard to be mad at you when you make that face" I say. "So I'm forgiven" Adam asked. "I guess so" I say. "Yes. This calls for a hug" Adam said and made his way over to me. He then hugged me from behind and placed a kiss on my cheek just as Jay walked into the bullpen. "Dude, you better not be trying to steal my girlfriend" he said. "Don't worry, man. I'm not" Adam responded.

A bit later, we got something. "All right, listen up. Asset Forfeiture got a hit on Joe Baker's debit card. These surveillance stills are from a walk-up ATM in West Lawn. This guy with a mask took out 300 bucks. Maxed out Joe's daily limit, but he still got over 19 grand in the account" Antonio said. "When was this" Voight asked. "Three hours ago" Antonio replied. "So, if they're after money, there's a good chance they're going to wait until Monday and wipe out the account" Platt said. "That leaves us 36 hours" I say. "All right, Jay, Upton, head over to West Lawn to this ATM. Check PODS, surveillance of nearby businesses. Maybe we catch Skeletor parked somewhere close" Voight said, referring to the man in the mask.

We then got a few more leads about this guy named Reimundo. The prints of the brick of heroin we found belonged to a guy name Calvin Harris, and apparently, Calvin ripped Reimundo off, not Joe Baker. Minutes later, Adam got a call on his UC phone from Kevin, who said he needed 90 grand to be dropped off at the old factory at 95th and Bishop. After that, he hung up. "How are we going to get the money? We can't go to Woods for the 1505 funds" Kim said. "Just let me worry about that" Voight said.

So we made the exchange, and as soon as we did, we moved in. Almost immediately, Billy pulled a gun. "Put the gun down. Drop it or we will shoot you" I say and aim my weapon at him. "No, no, no. No one's going to shoot you, man. No one's going to shoot you if you put that gun down. We just want to talk to you. You talk to us, we can help" Adam said. "Go to hell" Billy said raised his gun at Antonio, who had no choice but to shoot. Adam knelt down next to Billy, who was bleeding from the wounds on his chest. "Billy, hey. You talk to us. We can make this go away. Billy. Billy" Adam shouted and started CPR. However, Billy was already gone. "Adam, stop. He's gone" I say and place my hand on his shoulder.

"Al, grab Billy's phone and ping Reimundo's burner. Okay, we all saw that Kevin was near a stained glass window. That means he's probably in a church. So we're going to search every damn church within a mile radius of that cell tower" Voight said. "Copy that" I say.

We ended up finding the church, and when we got there, Reimundo was dead, and both Kevin and Joe were injured. "Hey, Kev. I'm really glad you're okay" I say and give him a hug. "Me too. Hey, did you end up singing at Platt's party" Kevin asked me. "Wait a minute. You've heard her sing" Antonio asked. "Yeah, man. She's amazing too" Kevin said. "Okay. How has Kevin heard you, but none of us have" Adam asked and gestured to himself, Kim, Antonio, and Hailey. "Um, I'd prefer not to talk about it" I say. "Kevin" Adam said. Kevin raised his hands up in surrender. "Sorry, man. Yn and I have a deal. We agreed to never bring it up again" he said. 

"Jay, do something" Hailey said. "He's got nothing on me, so extortion won't work" I say. "Who said I have nothing" Jay asked. "Oh shit" Adam said. "You're bluffing" I say. "Am I" Jay asked. "Okay, then what have you got" I ask. "Well, there was that one time at your parent's house where-" I cut Jay off before he could say another word. "All right, who wants to head to Molly's tonight" I ask. "Yes. Thank you Jay. Now we finally get to hear Yn sing" Kim said.