The Number of Rats

Note: This will be the Chicago PD episode and the SVU episode in one chapter.

Warning: vivid descriptions of rape

Yn's POV

"So the first victim, Alice Whitlock, raped and murdered. Cause of death was blunt force trauma to the back of the skull. She was a nurse at Columbia Presbyterian. Second vic, Lisa Hoffman, she was raped and killed in the same fashion as Whitlock, but she was found completely burned in her own car along the Harlem River. Green nail polish was applied to both of these victims at some point during the crime. Debra McCulloch was last seen exiting a bar on 53rd and 3rd. She was a nurse at Mount Sinai. So all three victims in New York, 2004. Witnesses were consistent. They all saw a man in medical clothing and his arm in a sling approaching these women" Olivia Benson, the detective from New York, said.

"The victim from here, did she have green nail polish on" Antonio asked. "We don't know yet" Benson said. "The lab tech is going to check when the doctor gives the okay, but there's no guarantees we'll find out either way. Her hands were severely burned. She was trying to cover her face" Voight said. "Also, there was no DNA at either of the New York crime scenes" Benson said. "Any theories why he stopped for ten years" Adam asked. "Sadly, we don't know that he has. So our suspect is a male, white, 5'9", approximately 40 years old. He's either in the medical field or, obviously, posing as somebody who is. There's nothing physically distinctive about him. All the witnesses, again, were consistent. When they described him, they said that he was average-looking and normal" Benson said.

"These details of the crimes have gone out to every news and radio station in town" I say. "We check city wide and in the suburbs on missile X cards and information reports on any attempted abductions or suspicious calls" Voight said. "I'm going to have Mouse triangulate the cell towers on the girl's phone and check all social media. We can find out if she electronically checked in anywhere during the day" Erin said. "I'll check the sex offender files and recently released parolees" Antonio said. "Guys, that was Olinsky at Chicago Med. Victoria didn't make it" Jay said. "Let's get to work" Voight said.

Jay and I then headed over to the crime scene to have a look around. "The offender balled up newspaper and shredded rubber, piled it near the victim. Then he left a trail of the same combo to the back door. Used lighter fluid as an accelerant, lit it, and then left out the back door. Some burning rubber dropped down a coax cable hole in the floor, right here, which is why we initially thought it started downstairs" Matt Casey from the CFD said.

"Okay, so the offender drags the victim up the back staircase into the bedroom. There's no way we're pulling any DNA out of here" Jay said. "So whoever did this has done it before" Matt asked. "Yeah, it's looking like it" Jay said. "Jay, check this out. It's nail polish" I say and lift up a bottle. "What color did the offender use on the victims" Jay asked. "Green" I say and unscrew the cap. The nail polish I was holding in my hand was also green. "Well, now there's no doubt" Jay said.

...................................

"Did you get anything new" Voight asked. "There's 150 places that sell medical supplies in Chicago, so we're reaching out to see if any of them have sold an arm sling to someone fitting our description in the last three months and if there's video surveillance. Patrol's helping out" I say. "Yeah, well, we also need a list of every doctor, surgeon, nurse, X-ray tech, dentist, orderly, janitor, anybody in the medical field who wears scrubs" Voight said. "Ah, don't forget mental institutions" Benson said. "Yeah, and check practicing and non-practicing" Voight told me. "Got it" I say.

That next day, Nadia pulled me into the locker room. "I need you to sign this" she said and handed me a card. "This is for Erin? Are you trying to plan her a surprise party" I ask. "Yes, but you can't tell anyone" Nadia said. "Don't worry. I won't" I say and sign the card, handing it back to her. "Awesome. Now all I need is Ruzek to sign the card" Nadia said. "Careful with Ruzek. He's terrible at keeping secrets" I say. "Okay, so I'm going to try and steal her car keys to pick up the cake, and if that doesn't work, can I use yours" Nadia asked. "I'll just drive you later, if that's cool" I say. "That's great. Thanks Yn" Nadia said.