Season 2; Call It Macaroni

Yn's POV

"How'd it go" Erin asked Voight as he walked into the office. "It went. They asked some stupid questions. I left" Voight replied. "Boss, where are they at with Jin's murder" Adam asked. "Nowhere. Where's Antonio" Voight asked. "He's meeting an informant. He's got a tip on some armored van thing" Al said.

"Sarge, why aren't we looking into Jin's murder on our own" Jay asked. "For the same reason I told you last time you asked. They don't want us anywhere near it since we has in our unit, okay? He was a police officer. Area central is all over it" Voight said. "So they had no updates this morning" Kevin asked. "The update is they're coming after my badge. So when there is another update I will convey it, okay? Until then, just do your jobs" Voight said.

..............................................

"How much you make an hour" Al asked Adam as he suited up in his undercover clothes. "$12.50" Adam replied. "How long you been with the company" I ask. "Six months" Adam said. "What do you hate about the job" Al asked. "I love everything about it. I really do. How do I look" Adam asked. "Really hot, but don't tell Archie I said that" I say and pat Adam's shoulder. "I appreciate the compliment Yn. You look good today too" Adam said.

""We'll be right behind you, eyes and ears, the whole time. You've got two distress signals. For visual, just run both hands through your hair. For verbal, just say popcorn. Either one of those or both, and we're moving in" Antonio said to Adam. "All right, I've got it" Adam said. "Hey. We all go home tonight" Voight said. "We better. If I don't come home, Archie is going to kill me" I say.

Jay, Erin, Kevin, and I were following Al, Voight, and Antonio, who were following the van Adam was in. Suddenly, a car t-boned Voight's truck, and the van in front of them stopped. I heard gunshots, and then Adam was shouting popcorn over the phone. Jay stopped the car, and we all climbed out with our guns raised. At least 2 other cars with guys in masks pulled up and started shooting at us, so we had to duck for cover. After about a minute of shooting, the offenders got back into their cars and drove away. "5021 Union emergency, we have shots fired by the police. Roll an ambo to 1400 West Roosevelt. We have multiple wounded offenders" I say into my radio.

As soon as Adam was done talking to Commander Perry, I ran over to him. "How you doing" I ask and give him a hug. "I feel a little stupid because they got the jump on me" Adam said. "Are you sure you're okay? You didn't get hit anywhere" I ask. "I'm fine Yn. Stop worrying about me" Adam said. Adam and I have become really great friends ever since we both joined the unit. Because we both joined around the same time, we bonded over being the "rookies" of the team.

..............................

"We have the driver, Lee Pritchett. He worked there three months. Had a wife and two-year-old kid at home. Dead crew member, apparently we've got a lead on that, and we've got the shooter in the armored van. I.D. and social came back bogus from the company. He started work three days ago. We have calls into the company to find out who hired him and who put him in that van today" Erin said. "The D.O.A. is Jeff Gamble. He's got a sheet five feet long. Possession, domestic battery, burglary, two prior armed robberies. His cousin, Chris Gamble, is basically his partner in crime. Chris wasn't involved himself, but I'll guarantee he'll at least know what Jeff was up to" Kim's new partner, a young, blonde haired man said. "Well, you and Burgess go find this cousin" Voight said.

"Hey, Yn, this is my partner Sean Roman" Kim said. "It's nice to meet you Sean. Have fun with Kim. She's amazing" I say. "We'll talk later, yeah" Kim asked. "Yeah. I don't want to keep you from your work. Catch some bad guys for me" I say. "Will do" Kim said and walked back downstairs with Sean.

An attorney then came up to talk with Voight and Al, and right as he left, Al put two new pictures on the white board, so I'm assuming the attorney had new information for our case. "Oskar Bembenek and his younger brother Jacob. Oskar's run a crime outfit for the last 25 years. Prostitution, extortion, drugs, you name it. Now, Oskar never gets his hands dirty. He always subcontracts when it comes to taking people out. That's how he's lasted so long" Al said.

"This murder charge, what's that about" Adam asked. "He just had a mistress. She wanted to break up with him, so he stabbed her 25 times. His shirt? It had her blood on it. Now, I knew this girl. Josie Martin. I was trying to turn her out as an informant against him" Al said. "The supervisor from the armored van company I've been trying to get a hold of just went home sick" Kevin said to Voight. "Lindsay and Halstead, go check it out" Voight said. "Hey. Text me the address" Jay said to Kevin. "Gotcha" Kevin replied.

While everyone went off to find information, I took Adam down to the garage where we examined the truck that t-boned Voight's car. As we were looking, I found something, so I called down Al. "This truck hit Voight's car about 35 miles an hour, but there's hardly any damage" Adam said. "There's a two-inch steel channel welded right behind the bumper. They were planning on ramming something" I say. "It was stolen about a week ago, so it was definitely retrofitted between then and now" Adam said. "It's also quality work under there. Talk about a high-end shop. I can start asking around" I say. "Bembenek's got a guy who does custom choppers for him. Ruzek, with me. Ln, nice work" Al said.

A while later, I was sitting at my desk doing some paperwork when Nadia called my name. "Yn, there's a Detective Mullins here to see you." "Detective Mullins? Is that what he asked Platt to call him" I ask and stand up. "I guess so. Why? Do you know him" Nadia asked. "He's my fiancee" I say and pull on my jacket. I then gathered up my stuff and walked over to Nadia's desk. "You had a great first day. Keep up the good work" I say. "Thanks" Nadia said as I walked downstairs. In the lobby, Archie was waiting for me.

"How's my fiance" Archie asked and kissed me quickly. "Good. I'm still not used to you calling me your fiancee though" I say. "I know. Can you believe we'll be married in a few months" Archie asked. "If someone had told me I'd end up marrying the douche who punched me in the face my first day in Homicide, I wouldn't have believed them" I say. "How many times do I have to apologize for that" Archie asked. "Until I've forgiven you for that nasty broken nose you" I say as we walked out of the district.

The next morning, Kim and Sean brought in Chris Gambles, who Erin and Jay interviewed. They got him to give up the meeting time and place where he was supposed to meet the Bembenek brothers. Just as we were about to suit up, Voight stopped us. I don't know what you heard, but let me set things straight. In order to get my job back, I made a deal with I.A. The deal was I put myself out there as dirty so I can take down some high-level criminals. I never agreed nor did I ever report on another cop. You can like it or not, but that was the deal" Voight said.

We then geared up and followed Chris Gambles to the meeting spot. Everyone hid around the industrial yard, and as soon as a gun was pulled, we all moved in. Jacob tried to pull a gun on Jay, which ended up with him getting shot and killed. Everyone else obeyed our orders, and they were all taken into custody. That night, Adam, Kevin, Jay and I headed to Molly's to get drinks. "Hey, get this. Voight beat the suspension: Adam said after he checked his phone. "I thought he was facing termination" Kevin asked. "Call it macaroni, dude. I don't know. He's going to be back in the office tomorrow. He beat it" Adam said.