43rd and Normal

Yn's POV

As Jay was getting ready, I was in the kitchen brewing some coffee. That's when my eyes caught sight of the picture on the refrigerator, and I smiled. The picture was of Jay proposing to me. Hailey and Will had said they would leave us alone, but of course they hadn't because they couldn't resist seeing how things would go. Hailey had managed to snap the picture, and I was grateful for that because now I could relive the memory over and over again through the picture.

"Whatcha looking at" Jay asked and wrapped his good arm around my waist.

"You know what I'm looking at" I say and lean back against his chest.

Jay chuckled. "Well, you've only been staring at the picture for the past few days."

"Because I still can't believe that you're my fiance, not my boyfriend anymore" I declare.

"Mm. You ready to head out" Jay asked me.

"Yeah. I was just waiting for you to finish up" I say.

"Okay" Jay said and went to grab his things, only for me to stop him.

"I've got it" I say and sling his bag across my shoulder over my own and grab both of our coffees.

"I can carry my own stuff you know" Jay stated.

"You're down one arm" I point out. "And stop complaining. Just let me help you."

"All right. Lets go" Jay said.

Walking into the district with Jay at my side again made me happy because we hadn't been able to do this the past few days. Today was Jay's first day back at work since he was injured, and even though he wasn't allowed to be on full duty, I was glad that he would be in the bullpen again. When Jay and I got to the top of the steps, Adam whistled at us.

"If it isn't Mr. and Mrs. Halstead" Adam announced.

"Adam, we're not married yet" I clarify. "And even if we were, I'm not taking Jay's last name at work."

"Wait, what" Jay questioned.

"Two Halsteads in the same unit would get very, very confusing. Besides, you should be happy I'm going to actually take your last name in the first place. My mother and I had a whole argument about it" I say.

"All right. What do we got" Voight asked.

"Okay, three robberies in seven days in Canaryville, but robbery is playing pretty fast and loose with the word since nothing of large value was actually stolen. The first two places hit were still under construction, the third one wasn't open for business yet, so there's no cash in hand to steal" Hailey explained. 

"All right, so it's about damage, not profit" Voight spoke. 

"Guys, we've got nothing on forensics. Offenders kept their masks on, hands to themselves" Vanessa announced. 

"That fits with the witness statements I got. 'Two masked, gloved males'. They also said they saw shotguns and a black SUV with the plates torn off" Kim added. 

"All that is an exact match with the other two, but this is the first time that they're ramming windows, and the first time they used hate speech" Hailey pointed out. "And all three were brand-new establishments in the area." 

"I mean, it is Canaryville. They're notorious for hating outsiders" Jay stated. 

"One might call it a tight-knit community" Adam confirmed. 

"Yeah, if some still live in the neighborhood" I counter. 

"All right, let's start back from scratch. Work all three scenes again. Reopen case files, re-interview the owners. Let's start finding patterns here" Voight said.