Little Bit of Light

Yn's POV

"Hey, Yn. Can I ask you a question" Adam asked. "Shoot" I say. "Am I lovable? I'm lovable, right" he asked. "Why do I need to answer this" I ask. "Well, Kim's sister Nicole is visiting, and apparently she hates me" Adam said. "Well, the way things went down between you and Kim would make any family of hers hate you" I say. "I didn't come over here to be criticized. Just answer the question" Adam said. "I'd say you're lovable, but not all the time. You can be a bit moody once in a while" I say. "That's not really what I wanted to hear, but thank you" Adam said.

"Bobby Trent, 41 years old. He was a freelance videographer at crime scenes. Sold footage to all the major news affiliates. He was found at 6:12 a.m. Single .22 caliber gunshot to the face. Ballistics match Bobby's gun. Estimated time of death between 10:30 and midnight" Erin said. "The ME thinks that the seven puncture wounds to Bobby's chest and stomach came after the shot. They're very in depth, but they're all with the same blade. Small, shallow. A Swiss Army knife or something similar" Jay said. "His phone locations show he left his loft, drove straight there, arrived at 10:21 p.m., but the closest crime scene is three blocks away" Kim said. "And forensics has no trace evidence to work with. No prints on the gun. The offender likely wore gloves" I say.

"So we're working backwards" Voight said. "Yeah, in a very large pool" Erin said. "I mean, think about it. Bobby made all of his money profiting off of death, so naturally, he racked up enemies. Victims, victims' families, news affiliates sending him hate mail" Kevin said. "There's also four ex-wives. He's not on speaking terms with any of them. Five restraining orders filed in the past two years and a history of drugs and alcohol. Speed, cocaine. He's been in and out of NA for a decade" Kim said. 

"Right, and our video" Voight asked. "There's no ID on the woman. I'm enhancing the footage to get a better image, so hopefully we'll get a pop. The guy, he's a total no go. He never looks directly at the camera, he's got no defining characteristics, as far as I can tell" Adam said. "Well, every other drive in Bobby's house was destroyed, and most of his personal files are nixed, but he did back up a lot of footage on his iCloud" Kevin said. "Okay, we all know who this guy is. We all crossed paths with him. He's still a victim with a kid downstairs" Voight said.

............................................

"So out of all the hate mail that I ran through from Bobby's news affiliates, one popped. A gangbanger from the West Side named AJ Hines. He used to live three blocks away from where we found Bobby. I've caught him on two crime scenes and mouthing off. All the hate on social media's pretty loud. He actually put a hit out on Bobby on Facebook like four months ago" Kevin said. "Do you have an address" Adam asked. "No, he moved, and I can't confirm the new address, but AJHin0300 is snapchatting the hell out of Michigan Avenue. Want to go get him" Kevin asked. "Yes, please" Adam said.

Kevin and Adam got AJ and brought him back to the station, and he claimed he knew nothing about what happened to Bobby. While that was bad news, we did have some good news. "Sarge? So facial recognition ID'd the woman in the video. Her name is Sarah Jaines. She was arrested a few years ago for trespassing" I say. "Do you have an address" Voight asked. "Yeah, like, 20 of them. Her full name is Sarah Jaines-Huntley" I say. "Huntley, as in..." "Owns half of Chicago, Huntley" I say. "Al and I will take this" Voight said.

Al and Voight talked to Sarah's parents, but they said they cut her out of their lives awhile ago. "Sarah Jaines-Huntley, 30. She spent a year at a very prestigious college, and then spent a lot of time in and out of very expensive rehab facilities" Erin said. "There is nothing to cross her with Bobby except maybe the drugs. This guy has one file hidden in the middle of his wall, and it just so happens to be the daughter of one of the wealthiest men in Chicago? My money's on Bobby was stalking her. He found out who she was. He started following her" Jay said. "Well, I am pulling up zero. There's no current address for Sarah Huntley or Jaines, and nothing to date appears online. There's no social media, no car, no bank account, no credit cards. This girl's a ghost" Kim said.