False Positive

Yn's POV

I had never driven so fast in my life. My car zoomed down the streets of Chicago in an attempt to get to the address Adam had sent me. As soon as I arrived at the place, I saw tons of cop cars around along with a coroner van, meaning there was at least one dead body involved. I slammed my foot down on the break, and my car screeched to a halt. It only took me seconds to get out of my car, and right as I did, I looked around for Jay. When my eyes caught sight of him, I ran over and wrapped my arms around him, placing my cheek against his chest.

"Hey. What's wrong" Jay asked me.

"Adam called and said that you were involved in something. I just had to make sure you were okay" I mumble into his chest.

"I'm okay" Jay said and rubbed his hand up and down my back.

Just then, two men exited the house we were in front of carrying two small bodies that were wrapped up in white sheets. Kids. Two woman on the other side of the tape started sobbing, meaning that they must be the mothers. My heart started hurting almost immediately for those mothers. They had just lost their children over what? A gang war? Drug bust? I didn't even know at the moment, and there was nothing I could say or do to comfort them.

"It looks like a dope hit gone wrong" Jay finally managed to say. "The kids weren't supposed to be inside. I think the offender kicked in the door and he just stumbled across the kids by mistake. In the living room I found the two local kids, David Tatum and Aaron Powell. They were both shot in the head. Everybody was done at close range. A third kid made it. He's uninjured." 

"Yeah, they're taking him to Med to get checked out" Vanessa added. 

"All right, did he see anything" Voight asked. 

"He was taking a pee. He was in the bathroom the whole time. That's what saved him. It's where I found him. Talked to Patrol, he said that he heard the shots but he didn't see anything. The guy guarding the door is ID'd as Rayford Godfrey. He's a Hustlers foot soldier. I think he died immediately. Guys on the corner said that Ray was soft for the kids, so he probably just let them in to play video games" Jay explained. 

"Are those the bangers you talked to" Voight asked and nodded his head towards a group of people across the street.

"Yeah" Jay said and let out a huge breath of air. "West Side Hustlers. This is their joint. It's a stash house, flop house, et cetera. The shot caller's around the block. His name's Kareem. He's willing to talk to us." 

"Well, we're running point on this. So neighbors, footprints, barking dogs, the means, the ends, we run it all down. Any PODs, Shot Spotters" Voight questioned. 

"Not on the block" Kim replied. 

"We'll expand the perimeter" Kevin spoke. 

"These people need answers, and we are going to give them to them" Voight said.

...........................................

"All right, here's what we got. Crystal ketamine, 400 grams packed up in jabs. Two handguns, a semiautomatic rifle, roughly 23 grand in cash. It's in small bills, sorted in bundles" Voight listed off. 

"They have any idea who did it" Adam asked. 

"No, not yet. So let's look at rivals, recently released violent offenders, potential anniversary retributions, all of that" Voight answered. 

"This is the closest camera angle we've got. It's in an alley two blocks away, and it's a minute after 911 got the first shots fired call" Kevin said and handed Kim a picture.