The Song of Gregory William Yates

Long Chapter

Yn's POV

Jay and I walked upstairs hand in hand, and so far, it was a normal day. Everything was going well. However, when I stepped into the bullpen, everything changed. I looked at the white board and saw the face of my kidnapper and rapist, Greg Yates. "W-what's Yates doing on the board" I ask Antonio. "You didn't hear? Yates escaped prison" Antonio said.

At that moment, I seemed to lose my breath. It got hard to breath, and my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. "E-excuse me. I need a minute" I say and sprint towards the locker room. As soon as I was alone, I started sobbing. Yates was supposed to be gone for good, and to find out that he was back, it made me remember every single detail from that fateful night. The door to the locker room opened, but I couldn't stop crying, no matter how hard I tried. Seconds later, Jay walked over to me and embraced me. I placed my face in the crook of his neck and bawled into Jay's shoulder as he rubbed his hand up and down my back.

"We're going to catch this guy. I promise. There's no way we're going to let him get away after everything he put you through" Jay said. "He's back in Chicago, Jay. What if he comes back for me" I ask. "We're not going to let that happen. I'm going to stay by your side until we catch Yates. Look, maybe we should just go home for the day" Jay suggested. "No. As much as this case brings up terrible memories, I need to be here to catch Yates. Otherwise, I'm going to be fearing him for the rest of my life" I say.

.............................................

"Greg Yates escaped custody last night in upstate New York after killing two state troopers, two ConElectric workers, and a camper, and shooting Sergeant Dodds. Dodds, he'll make a full recovery, thank God" Antonio said. "And Yates" Adam asked. "Pennsylvania troopers found the pickup truck abandoned on a state road. State forensics lifted Yates' prints, and a motorist there IDed Yates as pretending to have car trouble and knocking him out to take his car" Jay said. "He repeated the pattern in Ohio and Indiana. The last vehicle brought him to the Illinois border. Crime lab confirms Yates' prints, but there's no leads after that" Antonio said.

"Yeah, except one. Yn. He said he was coming to Chicago for her" Voight said. Everyone looked over at me, and I took a deep breath. "He's just trying to get in our heads. We put out a BOLO, investigative alert, and AMBER Alerts on the vehicle" I say. "Troopers are watching every highway coming into Chicago. SVU is questioning Carl Rudnick, the guy Yates escaped with, who's back in custody. Lieutenant Benson will be in touch when they have anything to report" Antonio said. "Well, until then I want us on every transient hotel, shelter, food bank in the city. Remember, this guy will kill or maim to get what he wants. Flag the credit cards of the vehicle owners. See if there was a safe haven he used last time he was here. All right, let's get on it" Voight said.

That day, there was a triple homicide, and all three women were nurses. The good thing was, there was no sign of sexual assault on any of them. "What's happening on the third floor" Voight asked. "It's clear. No sign of foul play, and the tenant, Nellie Carr, she isn't there" Sean said. "Maybe she heard or saw something" Al said. "Well, we've got to find her. Let's get an all call message going for this Nellie Carr. Roman, get a list of what's missing, every item, and somebody get me a print that can put Yates here" Voight said. "Me and Halstead should probably follow the ambo, see if our victim comes out, then we can ID" Kevin said. "I'll go with you" I say. "No. You and I are heading back to the 21st. We're going to find that third floor tenant" Voight said.

As we left the building, I stopped Voight. "You're benching me" I ask. "I'm keeping you safe" Voight clarified. "We just left a scene with three dead nurses. I'm not the one you need to worry about" I say. "Yn, he's baiting you" Voight said. "No, he's not. He's using me to get under your skin, and it's working" I say. "You make one mistake with Yates, and you're dead. Do you get that" Voight asked. "If he wanted me, he would have killed me when he kidnapped and raped me" I say. "Well, he's not getting a second chance" Voight said.