Army of One

Yn's POV

"Yeah, Ollie. I'll be there. What time" I ask. "Uh, 6" he replied. "Cool. I'll bring the-" I cut myself off as I entered the bullpen because I spotted a familiar mop of blonde hair. "Hey. I'll call you back" I say and hang up. At that moment, I jumped into the woman's arms and hugged her tightly. "Hailey" I shout. "I can't believe you took the job!" "Well, it's a temporary basis" she said. "Temporary or not, I'm so happy you're here. What's in the box" I ask and gesture to the white box sitting on her desk. "Loukoumades. Greek donuts" Hailey said. "You're doing great up here already" I say and take a doughnut. "Who was that on the phone" Adam asked me. "Ollie. My mom is getting out of the hospital today" I say.

"All right, Upton, you're going to be partners with Erin for now. Jay, you'll be with Al. Are we clear" Voight asked. "Yeah" Erin said. "Guys, I'm getting an emergency alert from CPIC. OEMC received multiple 911 calls alerting them to this private Facebook user group" Adam said and turned his computer so that we could all watch a video. "I'm going to stay on the line while you triangulate the signal." The video showed a man tied up to a chair taking a beating. Then, the offender dropped the bat he was using and started dumping gasoline on the man. "Ruz, tell them to work faster" Jay said. Just then, the offender lit a match, and threw it. The guy tied to the chair went up in flames in seconds. "3200 block of Larimer" Adam said. "Let's go, come on" Voight said.

By the time we got to the abandoned warehouse, the man's body had already been torched, and our offender was nowhere to be seen. However, the word "Pedophile" was written on the wall in blood. We could possibly use that to identify the victim. "All right, our victim is male, African American, mid-20s. We ran facial recognition, no matches. His fingerprints were burnt off in the fire, and his wallet was torched, so, in short, we can't ID this guy" Jay said. "What we do know is that our victim's blood type does match the writing on the wall in the warehouse. It's B positive" I say. "Someone thinks our victim is a sex offender, or wants us to believe that he was" Hailey said. "And the attack was well thought out. They live streamed the torture on a burner phone that they dumped at the scene. The gloves, the gas can, they're all standard-issue products available at every hardware store in the city" Erin said.

"Two metal objects survived the fire: this metal crucifix, which matches the one in the photo, and a key" Adam said. "Yep, and this key matches a Kia 2010 that was parked right in front of the warehouse. As we speak, the crime lab is sweeping it for prints and DNA. The car's registered to a Janice Hendricks. She has an address in Inglewood" Kevin said. "Okay, Al, why don't you and Jay go talk to her. Let's comb the neighborhood. We've got to ID this victim if we're going to figure out who targeted him" Voight said.

..........................................

"The victim is Elijah Hendricks. He's 25. He did 7 years for statutory rape at Indiana State Pen. He got out about a month ago, and he registered as a sex offender at his aunt's address" Jay said. "Elijah was 18 when he was accused of raping a 16-year-old girl. The victim's name was sealed under a plea bargain" Hailey said. "The aunt gave us the woman's name: Beth Murphy" Jay said. "No DMV records. The only photo we could find was from her high school yearbook from Crown Point, Indiana" Hailey said. "We got the phone records from Elijah's cell. On the day he was killed, he got three phone calls from Beth Murphy. We've been trying to reach her, but it keeps going to voicemail" Erin said. "Did you get an address" Adam asked. "No, just a PO box in Crown Point" Erin said. "All right, you and Upton, head to Indiana. Hey, but loop in the local police. We got no jurisdiction there" Voight said.

When Hailey and Erin were out, they sent us something to check out. "Guys, look. This video dropped on YouTube two days ago. It was posted by 'The Perv Hunters" I say. "Who the hell are the Perv Hunters" Adam asked. "I don't know. Lets find out" I say. Once Hailey and Erin got back, we shared what we knew.