Trouble Dolls

Y/n's POV

"Hey," I greet Adam as the two of us jogged up the steps towards the case. "I heard we got a new case."

"Yeah. You all caught up?" Adam asked me.

"I think so. Lets see. Uh, Sofia Perez, from Guatemala, found dead on the top of the car, but we don't know if the bullet in her head was from before or after the fall," I recount as I put my hand on the scanner.

"You're spot on," Adam spoke and ruffled my hair.

"Adam!" I whine and smooth my hair back down. "You know I hate when you do that."

"And that just makes me want to do it more," Adam countered. "Where's Jay? You two usually come in together."

"Oh. He's already upstairs. I just left my phone in the car and ran to grab it," I respond as the two of us joined the rest of the team, who were all gathered around Kevin's computer. As Adam and I took up positions behind Kevin, he played the video, which showed that Sofia fell from the building onto the car and was still alive, but then someone came up and shot her, which ultimately killed her.

"His jacket," Voight acknowledged and pointed to the red symbol on the back of it. "Anybody recognize that logo?" I thought that out of the other 6 of us in the bullpen, at least one of us would have recognized it, but nobody did.

"The murder weapon's a revolver," Kim revealed. "Make unknown. The slugs came back from the autopsy, .38s." 

"Sarge, the street where Sofia died is right in the middle of the claimed turf of two rival gangs, Los Milagros and Los Payasos," Jay informed Voight.

"There's been some real beef," Hailey continued. "Six murders in three months. Homicide says two of those murders were female drug couriers. Guatemalan nationals like our victim, Sofia Perez."

"So there's a good chance Sofia was a drug mule," Voight confirmed. "All right, this man in the video, let's see if any other cameras picked him up. And our victim, I want to figure out how she got here. Check ports of entry. See if she's got family here in Chicago. Let's go." 

About an hour later, while Jay and Hailey were out doing some digging, the rest of us stayed in the office to continue running our drug mule theory. Originally, I didn't think it would pan out, but sometimes you've just got to keep running with it. And by doing so, we found some very important information.

"OCD transpo ran our victim through inbound flights. She arrived at O'Hare three weeks ago, direct from Guatemala city. One-way ticket paid for in cash. Now, the video footage shows this guy finding Sofia at baggage claim. He walks her out, and he even takes her suitcase for her. What a gentleman," I joke.

"Right, so the gentleman takes her to this car. The plates come back to an Alex Alonzo, 22 years old," Kevin disclosed. "He's got a different build from the guy in this video, but he's documented Los Milagros for a fact." 

"Scoop him up," Voight ordered. So Alex gave us the location where he dropped Sofia off at, and Kim, Kevin, and Adam went to check it out. What they found though, well, it's something I'd never seen before.

"There were bars on each and every one of the windows, and handcuffs on each and every one of the beds," Kevin shared. "These women lived there, Sarge, or were kept there."

"This was never about narcotics. I mean, Sofia Perez, she was running from this. Some sort of... baby farm," Voight claimed. "Then after they killed her and they abandoned the place because they knew there'd be heat. So, who the hell are they? Where did they go? And where are the other women?" 

"Sarge, forensics ran the dried blood that we found on a towel and got a hit on CODIS," Kim alerted us. "Karla de Leon, Guatemalan national. She was in there, and she had a baby in there. Forensics found traces of amniotic fluid, too."