Favor, Affection, Malice or Ill-Will

Yn's POV

Today was my first day back at work since I blew up at Kenny. I was ready to get back to the job to clear my head. When I walked into the lobby, I bumped into a familiar face. "Adam! Oh my god. When did you get back" I ask and give him a hug. "Last night. Hey, I heard about your mom. How's she doing" he asked. "She's okay, I guess. She's fighting like hell" I say. "She's a strong women. Now I see where you get it from" Adam said.

"So did you talk to Voight" I ask "Uh, yeah. I just saw him" Adam said. "So? What's the verdict" I ask. "I'm on patrol" he said. "What? Why" I ask. "Because of Rixton, there are no open spots" Adam said. "I'm sure I can talk to him and work something out" I say. "That's okay. I'll be fine down here for now. Have a great day" he said. "Yeah. You too" I say.

"Rebecca Clark" Voight said and put a picture on the white board. "That's the girl that moved here and was gunned down in Bronzeville a couple months back, right" I ask. "That's right, she'd only been in Chicago six months before she got killed. It happened when she pulled over to buy a bottle of water at a corner store. She was shot with a .45 semi-auto" Voight said. "Her father is Donald Clark. He is a poetry professor at West Michigan College. The mother is in a mental institution. She checked herself in after Rebecca's death. She couldn't handle it" Erin said. 

"So who's the father want dead" Kim asked. "Uh, Omar Fry. He's a documented South Ave hustler, prime suspect in Rebecca's murder. Gang Intelligence and Area Central Homicide both cleared him, so he was released a few weeks ago. Since then, open murder investigation, no other suspects" Jay said. "Now, Clark is convinced that Omar Fry's the guy who killed his daughter" Al said. "All right, Jay, you and Atwater hit Homan Square. See if you can dig up the original gang file. Kenny, you and Burgess go pay Omar Fry a visit" Voight said. "What's the next step with Clark" Al asked. "Let's see if we can get some perspective on the original homicide first, shed some light on who actually killed his daughter. For now, just string Clark along" Voight said. "Sarge, I heard Ruzek's back" Kevin said. "Yeah, he's back at 21, but he's not back up here" Voight said.

......................................

"All right, search the drainage grates along all the stairwells. Fry said the guy ran in here, and bangers file the gates loose to use them to hide contraband. They get spotted topside, come down here to sling away their guns or drugs. I suggest you all split up" Voight said. Kenny and I walked one way while Jay, Erin, and Kevin went the other.

"I ran into Ruzek last night" Kenny said as we searched through some gates. "Yeah" I ask. "He came looking for his desk. Just curious, where do you stand on that" Kenny asked. "You've been great, Kenny. A real asset to the unit" I say. "But" Kenny questioned. "But Adam was my partner, and he's my best friend. That's all I'm going to say" I say. "Bob Ruzek, that's his old man, right" Kenny asked. "Yeah. Why?" "Just asking" Kenny said.

Erin ended up finding the gun, so now, we were all back in the bullpen. "I had the lab rush the test on our gun. The ballistics are 100% match to the rounds they pulled out of Rebecca Clark's body" Erin said. "Any prints or DNA" Voight asked. "Nothing usable" Erin replied. "But we may not need them. I ran the gun through the CAGE unit and it came back registered to a Thomas Kade. Turns out he has been on CPD's radar the last few weeks, identified as 'a person of interest' in illegal gun sales" Kim said. "Yeah, but what's his connection to Rebecca" Kevin asked. "We're still working on that part" Kim said. 

"Kade has a fake Federal Firearms License and he's a known straw buyer. So he's probably not our shooter. More likely, he sold the gun to whoever killed Rebecca" Jay said. "You got an address" Al asked. "Yeah, uh, it's a business called Smoke Bliss on 44th and Calumet" Jay responded. "Wait, the head shop" Kenny asked, causing all of us to give him a weird look. "I drive by it on my way to work." "Let's go have a look" Voight said.