Confession

Yn's POV

"Hailey, hey" I say to her as I met up with her in the district. "I heard about what happened between you and Adam. I'm sorry it didn't work out."

"Yeah, well, I knew working with someone you dated would be hard, but I didn't think it would be this hard. I don't know how you and Jay do it" Hailey said.

"Believe me, I know. Sometimes I ask myself the same question. It comes down to whether or not you can seriously see yourself having a future with that person, and if you'd risk everything you have for them" I say.

"Hey. Who's presenting" Voight asked.

"That would be me, Sarge" Hailey said and walked over to the white board. "Hugo Campos, 17 years old. He moved to Pilsen a year ago with his mother. Clean sheet. No disciplinary issues."

"Gang affiliation" Voight asked.

"We're not sure. We've talked to a few CI's, but nobody knew him" I respond.

"All right, who runs the tip where the kid got gunned down" Voight asked.

"His name is Derrick Winslow. He calls the shots in that area. He's real slick, low key, doesn't touch his product at all. His cousin also got lit up last month. Word on the street is a Mexican gang had something to do with it" Kevin said.

"So maybe this was retaliation" Jay suggested.

"Kevin, you got an idea where to find this shot-caller" Voight implored.

"I can put some pressure on my CI" Kevin said.

"Good. Do it" Voight said.

...................................

"What'd you get" Kim asked me as her and Antonio walked into the computer room. They had just been at Hugo's house, but I found some important information, so I called them over.

"The shooting happened at 9:02 a.m. Derrick said his boy saw a black van fleeing right there" I say and point to the van on the screen. "We have surveillance on it until Pilsen and then we lose it."

"It looks like two guys inside" Antonio said.

"Anything you can run through facial rec" Kim asked me.

"Nah. I got a hit on a plate though. The car was reported stolen this morning. It's registered to Carlos Martinez. He's got one prior, aggravated battery. He got into a street fight and beat the guy to a pulp. His address is 23rd Street in Pilsen. It's a restaurant. La Casera" I say.

"That's where Hugo Campos worked" Kim pointed out.

"Let's hit it" Antonio said.

A while later, Kim and Antonio came back from the restaurant. They had talked to Carlos, but got nothing on him. However, on their way out, they caught something.

"Alex Del Toro. He's a major player in Pilsen. He's got direct connections to Mexican cartels. He's been a source of supply for heroin and coke for years, but he doesn't call attention. He stays off the radar. Narcotics has tried, but they could've put a glove on him. I worked this guy. Let me tell you something, there is nothing about him that's good. Mike Flores was my CI. He was a low-level player. Del Toro thought he was stealing products when he killed him, but we couldn't prove it" Antonio explained.

"All right, so what's the connection between Hugo and Del Toro" Voight asked.

"The restaurant. I pulled the business license for La Casera. Now, Carlos Martinez is the manager, but the owner is Alex Del Toro. He owns a bunch of cash businesses. That's how he launders his drug proceeds" Kim said.