Pain Killer

Yn's POV

This morning, Voight, Kim, and Antonio were attending a small event hosted by Ray Price. That meant Jay, Hailey, Adam, Kevin and I were sitting around the office with nothing to do. So, being the mature adults we were, we played Never Have I Ever. At the moment, I only had 1 finger left, so I was hoping I could somehow stay in for a few more rounds, or just long enough for someone to loose the rest of their fingers.

"All right. I've got a good one. Never have I ever used any police related items for or during sex" Adam said.

Jay and I both glanced at each other, and slowly, we both put a finger down. I could feel my face heating up, which caught the attention of my co-workers.

"Holy shit! What have you guys done" Kevin asked.

"Whoa! That's going a little too far" Jay replied.

"Oh come on! It was the uniform, wasn't it? Did you use it to turn Yn on or something" Adam asked Jay.

"Actually, it was handcuffs" I say to Adam, whose face then turned to shock. "And I used them on Jay."

"That's my girl" Hailey cheered from her spot at her desk.

"Well, that means you loose the game" Adam said to me.

"All right, I say we choose a different game to play on boring days. I always loose this one" I say.

"Uh, guys, we've got a new case rolling in" Jay said after he looked at his phone.

"What is it this time" I ask.

"Ray Price was shot" Jay responded.

...............................................

"Well, we know that Ray Price was shot from a distance. The problem is we don't know where the trigger was pulled" Adam explained. 

"It'll be hard tracking the trajectory. The bullet's still lodged in Price's shoulder" Jay added. 

"No direct eyeball witnesses, no shot spotter PODs. We pulled all surveillance. As for motive-"

Kevin interrupted Hailey. "He's black." 

"There's that. He's also ahead in the polls. There's a lot of people that don't want him to be mayor" Hailey continued. 

"You know, if this is a straight-up assassination attempt of a public official, we're stepping into FBI territory" Antonio said. 

"Look, we still don't know what it is for sure so we treat it like any other case. Get a list of suspects, anyone who might be targeting Price" Voight said.

"Hospital detail just called from Med. Ray Price is out of surgery and in stable condition. No major damage. Ialso went through all the 911 calls pertaining to threats made against Price. A lot of racial slurs. Brick through his house window, his car was tagged with the N-word last year. It's an ugly list, but nothing actionable. However, there was one incident report that stuck out. It was a week ago. A man was seen in Price's yard having what was described as 'a violent argument' with him. Patrol responded, but Price refused to file charges. He said the whole thing was a misunderstanding" Platt said. 

"Who made the 911 call" Voight asked.

"His daughter" Platt responded.

Voight and Kim went to talk to Jasmine, but couldn't get anything out of her. So, they went to Ray Price himself. Ray admitted that yes, he did have a little altercation with a man, but nothing terrible happened. That man was named Mike Rankin, and when we interviewed him, he said he was near the shooting sight, but he was getting coffee when it happened. However, he did say he heard the shot clear as day, so now, Jay and I were checking buildings right around where Rankin was.