The Price We Pay

Yn's POV

"All right, we've got a new case. This is Frank Fitori. He was caught napping in a ditch by the marsh where he was dumped. He's had his own little racket on the south side for years" Voight said. "He swims with a lot of big fish" Antonio said. "Swam" I say. "Swam" Antonio questioned. "Well, he's dead. So the correct word is swam" I say. "All right, Halstead and I will check out the murder site" Erin said. "Great idea. Why don't you and Jay do that? Everyone else, go through the confidential files on Taylor Street, Bridgeport, Chinatown, and Melrose crews. Let's see who's running what nowadays" Voight said.

I ended up working with Al, and we were currently marking a map of Chicago where different gangs were. "So I'm thinking we stop into some pawn shops on Blue Island. I'll bet you anything the murder weapon found on Fitori was a dump gun" Adam said. Neither Al or I looked up from our work. "Al, Yn, you're not listening to me" Adam said. "Well, you talk so much, it's hard to know when I'm supposed to listen and when I can just tune out" Al said which caused me to laugh. "Yn, don't laugh. Don't support him insulting me" Adam said. "Sorry Adam, but that was pretty funny" I say. "All right, what were you saying" Al asked Adam. "That I'll bet that the murder weapon is a dump gun" Adam said. "Well, let's hit the pawn shops. Come on" Al said.

Before we could hit the pawn shops, Voight stopped us along with the rest of the team. "This turned out to be more of a homicide thing, as we all suspected. I apologize" Voight said. "Hold up a sec. Alessio Colo. He was one of the top bosses on the south side. Bookmaking, loan-sharking, extortion, armed robberies. C.P.D. thought he was retired, but now a tip leads us to believe he's back in the game" Antonio said. "What are you doing" Voight asked. "And this is Joe Catalano, habitual felon just released from Stateville, and Colo's nephew. He used to work for Colo back before he got sent up. Our D.O.A., Fitori, he turned rat on Catalano back in '06. He made a deal with the state's attorney that kept him in jail and put Catalano in" Antonio said. "It sound like Catalano got released, and he got right to it" Jay said.

"All right, so if Catalano dumped the body, who's the driver" I ask. "Okay, I'm tracking down the Indian company that has footage from the construction yard. Just waiting for the sun to come up over there and we should have a clear shot of the driver" Jin said. "Yeah, the D.O.A., Frank Fitori, he used to run with this Ross crew back in the day. A guy named Dean-O Ross was the patriarch" Al said. "Along with Fitori, Dean Ross was on the grand jury witness list" Antonio said. "Maybe Dean-O's a target too" Adam suggested. "All right, let's go. Ruzek and I will shadow him, tuck him in at night" Al said. "That's a good idea. Lindsay and I will come too" Voight said. "Looks like we're all going" Antonio said. "I'd like to talk to you in my office first" Voight said to Antonio.

"Hey, do you want to ride with Antonio and I" I ask Jay. "Sure. Any particular reason why" Jay asked. "Well, if you haven't noticed, there's something going on between Voight and Antonio, and I would prefer there not be any awkwardness in the car" I say. Once in the car, we parked on the side of a street and got in position.

"O, do you have eyes on him" Antonio asked into his radio. "Just approaching now. We've got him" Al replied. "We're near Clark and Belmont in case he heads to the highway" Antonio said. "Ross is on foot, heading toward the tanning salon on Sheffield" Al said. "We'll be right there" Antonio said and started up the car. "Suspect is heading south" Erin shouted into the microphone as Antonio pulled up to a curb. All three of us got out with are guns raised and took off down the street. However, when we found Voight, who had been closest to the suspect, he was alone. "I lost him" Voight said.

After that, the case just fell apart, which was weird because Intelligence usually always solved its' cases. I walked downstairs to find Archie waiting for me. He had to come pick me up because he dropped me off at work. "Hey Yn, before you go, I need to take your picture for the new IDs" Platt said. "Okay. Where do you want me" I ask. "Just stand on that x there and smile at the camera" Platt said. I did as she told me and with one flash, my picture was taken. "Look at that. This is by far the most beautiful picture I've taken all day. You've got a good one" Platt said to Archie. "I know" Archie said. "Bye Sergeant. I'll see you tomorrow" I say to Platt. "You too Yn" Platt replied as Archie and I walked out of the district.