A War Zone

Long Chapter

Yn's POV

It was actually kind of refreshing having breakfast with Johnny. We were from different units, so we had tons of cool stories to tell each other, and because we hadn't seen each other in awhile, we had a lot to catch up on. "Anything new in your life that I should know about" Johnny asked. "You know that Detective I was always telling you about. Jay Halstead" I ask. "Yeah" Johnny said. "Well, him and I dated for a while after I ended things with Archie, but we broke up" I say.

Just then, Jay pulled up in front of the restaurant and climbed out of his car. "Speaking of the devil" I say. "Damn. He's handsome. Looks like I've got some competition" Johnny joked. "You haven't even seen him without a shirt on. The man has got a great body" I say just as Jay walked over. "Hey, Yn. You ready to go" he asked. "Yep" I say and laugh. "Were you guys just talking about me" Jay asked. "Yes, but don't worry. We were just talking about how hot you are" I say and pat his cheek before turning to Johnny. "I'll text you later." "Okay. Bye Yn" Johnny said. "Bye Johnny" I say. Jay and I then left the restaurant and headed over to Chicago Med.

When we stepped inside the hospital's ER, we were greeted by Will. "Hey. Thanks for swinging by" he said. "Yeah, no sweat. What's going on" Jay asked. "There's been a rash of ODs. They're coming in in waves. Third one today just coded" Will said. "Heroin" Jay asked. "Yeah, but definitely laced. Probably fentanyl. I haven't seen anything like this since, well, ever" Will said. "I'll put a call in to Narcotics and see what they know" Jay said. "Can we get the CFD paperwork? I want to see where these paramedic calls are originating from" I say. "They're coming in from all over the city" Will said. "I've got another one. Narcan's wearing off" a nurse shouted to Will. "Give him another 2 of Narcan, slow IV push. All right, I'll pull together a detailed list when I can. I've got to go" Will said. "Thanks Will" I say as he walked off. Jay's phone then buzzed, and he glanced at the text he had received. "We've got to roll" he said to me.

.........................................

"What do we got" I ask Adam as Jay and I walked onto the beach. "A call came in. Suspicious package by the lake. Family was setting up for their kid's birthday party. Roger and Ashley Basinski over here. The mother found a backpack soaked in what she believed to be blood" Adam said. "Did she open it" I ask. "Yeah, and she found a surprise inside. Erin's talking to her now" Adam said.

About a minute or so later, a little girl screamed, and all of us took off towards the water. When I got there, I saw a body floating in the water. Erin escorted the girl back to her parents while Adam and Jay dragged the body to the shore. Once the body had been turned onto its' back, I saw that whoever this man was, he had his forehead caved in, there were patches of skin missing from his face, and he had long scratches across his torso. "I cannot believe you guys touched that. That's disgusting" I say to Adam and Jay.

Jay and Erin went to the medical examiner to find out more about the victim, and it turns out, he had a tatoo. "Hey, anything come back on the tattoo" I ask Mouse. "Yeah, I went through the intake records at the morgue, and checked every death certificate from April 22, 2010 by hand. They're not online" he said. "So that's a no then" I ask. "No. It's Grace Clarendon. Cause of death: leukemia. She was 14. LKA for her mother is at the bottom of the page, right hand side" Mouse said. "Great. Thank you" I say and kiss his cheek. "I'm going to get Al and Antonio on this."

When Al and Antonio came back, they had ID'd victim and learned a bit about him. "Tyler Clarendon. His mother outlived both her kids" Al said. "His new best friend was Tony Chin. 20. Junior at Central Chicago U. No criminal record, but the last few weeks, he suddenly appears all over Tyler's social media profile" Antonio said. "Mouse, did you dump his phone records" Voight asked. "Yeah, and there's dozens of calls between Tyler and Tony Chin, all less than two minutes in duration and at all sorts of crazy hours" Mouse replied. "Ln, Ruzek, take a run at this guy" Voight said.