Fork in the Road

Yn's POV

Hailey and I were currently out eating breakfast together. We didn't have a case at the moment, meaning we didn't have to get to the district as early as usual. Our conversation started out light, but it soon moved on to a bit of office gossip. I did not like talking about things concerning work.

"So who's your best friend in the unit" Hailey asked me. "You, obviously" I say and take a bite of pancake. Hailey laughed and set down her fork. "I just joined the unit. I don't count. Pick someone else" she said. "Easy. Adam" I say. "Really? I thought you would've said Erin" Hailey said. "Why's that" I ask. "I mean, you guys were the only girls at one point. I thought you would have bonded over that or something" Hailey said. I sighed and played with the food on my plate. "We were actually really good friends once, but things changed" I say.

I guess that wasn't a good enough answer for Hailey because she kept prying. "What do you mean? What happened" she asked. "I don't really want to talk about it" I say. "Come on. Everyone else in the unit probably knows. I don't want to be left out. I promise I won't judge" Hailey said. "How about we talk about you going to the Review Board to discuss what happened between you, Erin, and that man from our last case" I suggest. "Please, Yn" Hailey said. "Fine. Jay and I used to date" I say. "Seriously? I mean, you'd be a cute couple, obviously, but you and Jay? I can't really see it" Hailey said. "Yeah, well, we're not as close as before. Anyways, I broke up with Jay so that he could be with Erin. That's all I'm saying" I say as Hailey's phone buzzed. "That's all you have to say. We've got a case. Voight wants everyone at the district" Hailey said.

...........................................

"So, the bad news is the slugs that we recovered out of Johnny Martelli don't match any guns in our database. They also don't match the gun that we recovered from the scene, which we also believe to be Martelli's" Kevin said. "However, and more interestingly, the SIG we believe to be Martelli's did hit for another case, and that case involved this truck. It was robbed on Racine, Back of the Yards. 40,000 pills of codeine were stolen by two offenders wearing masks. The SIG was fired three times when the driver wouldn't get out of the truck" Adam said. 

"I just came from Med, and kids are ODing and dropping all over Bridgeport, so whoever's selling them these pills, they got the dosage of what they're selling wrong, and this robbery happened about a mile from their school" Jay said. "Martelli's flooded his own neighborhood" Al said. "So, how does that get him killed" Hailey asked. "Well, the driver said two gunmen, right? Where's the other guy? Work Martelli's associates. Dump their phones. Who was near the robbery? Where are they now? And I want to know how this robbery connects to our homicide" Voight said. "Hey, boss, what about Bunny Fletcher" Adam asked. "Yeah. Get her back here" Voight said. 

So Voight went out to get some information, and he brought back this guy, Vincent Pollack, who was Martelli's partner in crime. Jay and I had him in the garage and were trying to talk to him. "I want a doctor" Vince said. "You'll get one, Vince, the second you tell us how Johnny Martelli wound up getting killed" Jay said. "Doctor" Vince said and split blood at my shoes. I may have forgotten to mention he had a nasty broken nose. "Hey, buddy. Watch the shoes" I say. Vince ignored me and spit again, getting very close to my sneaker. So, I stepped up to him and smacked him across the face. "Hey! Did you see that? Did you see what she just did" Vince asked Jay. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't see anything. Eighteen overdoses, Vince. Two kids ID'd you as the guy who sold them these pills. Cell tower history puts you at the scene of the truck robbery. You're cooked, buddy. Come on" Jay said. 

"You got all that on me, but you can't place me anywhere near Martelli's murder" Vince said. "All right, so, then, how did Martelli get killed" I ask. "Fifty years on Earth as a guy no one likes didn't help. Plus he was dealing, too" Vince said. "Yeah, we'll come back to that. Bunny Fletcher, where does she fit in? We can't find her" Jay said. "Bunny" Vince questioned. "Vince, one of two things is going to happen: you're either going to stop acting stupid, or you're going to lose a lot more blood" I say.

"Bunny Fletcher, it's her place where we found your friend bleeding out. Come on, buddy" Jay said to Vince. "A, I got no idea who killed Martelli. Maybe Carmine went to see him, and Martelli talked back. As for Bunny, she was sitting on the pills" he said. "Wait, are you saying this is all her" I ask. "What? No. Johnny was dealing. I don't know how much he sold, but a lot. Bunny's a bottom-feeder. Johnny stashed what he didn't sell at her bar. She was due to get her end. Five grand. Am I good to see a doctor now, or what" Vince asked.

.........................................

"Hey, has anyone seen Erin" I ask. "Uh, she got stripped of her police powers while the Review Board is making their decision. And, since this case involves her mom, Voight wanted her to stay out of it" Adam said. "Right" I say as Hailey walked in. "Hailey, hey. How was the review board?" "Not good. They didn't even grill me. It was like they already made up their mind that Lindsay was at fault" she said.

A bit later, Jay got some information from Erin, and we had a lead. "Ian McAuliff. Two years in Statesville for agg assault. Three subsequent armed robbery arrests. Somehow never charged" Jay said. "All right, so now we know Martelli's partner blamed him for when those kids OD'd. Said it was his plan, his problem" Kevin said. "That's motive" Hailey said. "We move in with barrels up. This guy is a shooter" Voight said.

However, when we got to McAuliff's place, he was dead. Someone shot and killed him. "At 9:00 a.m., Ian McAuliff takes one to the chest and one to the head, and then ballistics matches those shots to Martelli's gun that was found at the scene of his murder" I say. "And we now have multiple accounts that the shots that killed Martelli were fired at 11:00 a.m. in Bunny Fletcher's apartment" Hailey added. "All right, so that's plenty of time for Martelli to murder his partner, get back to Bunny, and get himself killed" Al said. "Yeah. But by who? Pollack" Kevin asked. "No. His alibi rules him out" Al said. "His alibi is that he was being beaten up by a couple of Carmine's guys" Adam clarified. "It's not our problem now. FBI is taking the case. They secured 39,000 painkillers, and Bunny Fletcher has agreed to testify against Pollack in the robbery" Voight said. "Are you saying we're just going to sit out a murder investigation" Jay asked. "I guess they'll look into that too" Voight replied.

That night, while I was at my apartment, someone knocked on my door. I paused the TV and went to go answer it, swinging my door open to reveal Jay. His eyes were red and puffy, a sign that he had been crying. "Jay? What's wrong? What happened" I ask. "I didn't know where else to go" Jay said. "Okay. Come on in" I say an open the door a little wider to let him in. Once we were all settled on the couch, Jay wiped a few tears from his face. "So? What's wrong" I ask him. "Erin, she's gone" Jay said.