Chin Check

Yn's POV

"You didn't have to follow me to work in your car or walk me inside" I say to Archie as we stopped in the lobby of the 21st district. "I know, but I wanted to. I also wanted to get a chance to meet your new team" Archie said. "That can wait for another day" I say. "Yn, we've got a new case" Antonio said as he entered the district. "Okay. Uh, Antonio, this is my boyfriend, Detective Archie Mullins. Archie, this is my partner Detective Antonio Dawson" I say. "It's nice to meet you" Archie said and shook Antonio's hand. "You too. Your girlfriend is one hell of a cop" Antonio said. "We've been on one case together" I say. "All right, well, I have to get to work. I'll see you later" Archie said and kissed my cheek before leaving the district.

"He seems like a nice guy" Antonio said. "Oh, don't get me started on that. He's stubborn as hell and has one nasty right hook. I found that out that hard way" I say and laugh. "How long have you been together" Antonio asked me. "Almost 2 years. We met when I first got put into Homicide" I say. "Oh, so you guys worked together" Antonio asked. "Yeah" I say. "Dating someone in the same unit is hard. I hope things between you guys are better now that you've transferred" Antonio said. "Believe me, they are" I say as we walked upstairs.

"All right, there are two unrelated wire investigations. Surveillance followed three of area central's top-ranking gang targets to this house on Carpenter. Narcotics hasn't gotten anywhere with it, so command staff wants Intelligence on it. Roll out in five" Voight said. "Is it always like this? As soon as we start work, we have to go out" I ask Antonio. "Yeah, so you better get used to it" Antonio said and patted my shoulder.

........................................................

"We've got the main eye" Al said as him and Adam pretended to be city workers. "We're set up to the north" Antonio said. "10-4. We've got the south and a partial of the alley" Jay responded. "If anyone goes mobile from the house, we're in position for a take-away" Antonio said. "O and Ruzek, move closer. See if there's any movement in the house" Voight said. "Hold up. We've got company" Erin said.

I watched as someone in a yellow hoodie walked up to the house we were watching. "Who's this joker" Antonio asked as the man knocked on the door. Just then, bullets were flying out from behind the door of the house, and the man outside fell to the floor. Everyone climbed out of their cars and ran over to the house. Adam ran straight inside without any backup, so I chased in after him just in time to see him put 2 bullets into a man with an automatic. Everyone began to check the house as I pulled on some plastic gloves that I had in my back pocket and pressed my hands to the wound.

"Hoodie is dead" Voight said. "This one's alive. Adam, press the button on my radio" I say. "What" Adam asked. "My radio. I need to call this in" I say. Adam pressed and held in the button on my radio so that I could speak into it. "5021 Union, emergency. Shots fired by the police. Offender down. Plainclothes officers on scene. We need an ambulance to our location" I say. "Copy that. An ambulance is on the way" a dispatcher said.

..................................................

"This is Edward Jelko, the deceased street-level dealer. This is Peter Thomas Banfill, the offender, currently baking in a coma over at County" Voight said and put 2 pictures up on the white board. "Jelko probably thought like we did that Banfill was sitting on something big and went over there to rip him off." "These are M995s, teflon-tipped, kevlar-penetrating rounds. Ballistics has them linked to several recent homicides" Antonio said and showed us a bullet. "And we found 100 of these at the scene. It's for type R insulin, which is a Canadian designation" Erin said and held up a box. "And with any luck, our little surprise visit has got the gun runners scrambling, which means they're gonna make mistakes, okay? Eyes open" Voight said.