The Right Thing

Y/n's POV

"How are you not cold?" I ask my husband as the two of us walked around Millennium Park while drinking coffee.

"It's a Halstead thing," Jay claimed and wrapped his arm around me, pulling my body closer to his. "How's this?"

"Better," I reply and snuggle deeper into his side. "We should come out here more often. I like it here."

"Me too," Jay agreed. Just then, his phone buzzed, and he dug it out of his jacket pocket to see who had texted. "It's from Hailey. We've got a case."

"Of course we do," I mutter. "Lets just go and get it over with." In the bullpen, I shrugged off my coat and removed my hat, taking a seat at my desk across from Adam's. Everyone else was getting situated, and as soon as Voight entered the room, we all turned towards him.

"All right, someone we know has been dealing eight balls for a small-time dealer named Kent Darby. Darby runs coke out of a strip club he owns in Logan Square. Darrell, our CI, says it's a small-time operation. He's the only dealer outside the club. Most of the product goes directly to customers."

"This seems like a little fish," Adam admitted. "Why aren't we farming this out to Narcotics?"

"Because we know the CI," Voight answered. "His name is Darrell Miller."

"As in Deputy Miller?" Jay quizzed.

Voight nodded. "Her son. Look, the kid got himself in a little trouble. This should be easy, okay? We do a buy-bust. We give Darrell 10K from the funds to pay Kent, he re-ups, we bust them both, Darrell gets a deal."

"Wait," Hailey interjected. "We're putting Darrell on paper?"

"It's the way Miller wants to play it," Voight declared. "Darrell's downstairs right now. Just wire him up and let's get this thing done quick." I glanced at Adam, who raised his eyebrows at me, and I shrugged in response, not knowing what to say. If what Voight told us about the case is true, then it should be over quickly. And that meant I could get back home and spend some more time with Jay and Chief.

...................................................

"Well this is gonna be fun," I joke as Adam, Kevin, and I manned the security van. The footage from the camera hidden in Darrell's shirt was working well along with the audio from the wire, and the three of us were tasked to handle it.

"Hey, we've got a free show right now," Adam spoke and stared intently at the screens, which showed the inside of the strip club, including the girls dancing.

"Amen," Kevin preached and fist bumped Adam.

"I am never doing this with you two ever again," I grumble playfully.

"Yo, Jay. Darrell's heading your way," Kevin alerted my husband over the radio.

"Copy you. I see him," Jay confirmed. I leaned over Adam, who was between Kevin and I, and clicked the button on Kevin's radio.

"Jay, you better not accept a lap dance from anyone in that club," I lecture.

Jay laughed. "I won't. Promise." So Kevin, Adam, and I watched on the screens as Darrell gave Darby the money, and in exchange, Darby opened up a safe in the wall to reveal multiple kilos of the drugs. This was bigger than we thought, and because of that, we couldn't go in, and instead pulled Darrell out.

"Yo. What the hell? I thought y'all were coming in. You left me there like a fool," Darrell stated.

I scoffed. "Excuse me? You're the one who forgot to tell us something. You said this guy was small-time. How the hell is that small-time?"