The Weigh Station

Yn's POV

I ran into the district with Archie hot on my heels, and as soon as I got upstairs and saw Jay, I hugged him tightly. The feeling of his arms wrapped around my waist comforted me, and my worry faded away. "Thank god you're okay. When Erin texted me, I thought something bad had happened to you" I say and pull myself out of Jay's arms. "I'm fine. I didn't get hurt" Jay said. Someone then cleared their throat behind me, and I turned around to find Archie waiting. "Right. I um, I'll see you later Arch" I say to him. "Yeah. Okay" Archie said and headed back downstairs.

"So you knew the victim" Voight asked Jay. "Maddie Callahan. She worked there. No I.D. on the shooter" Jay asked. "No. Patrol is going door to door in the neighborhood looking for witnesses" Erin said. "The hospital just called. Your friend is in ICU, but she's alive" Antonio said. "Thanks" Jay said. "Hey, what happened is not your fault" I say. "Someone needs to talk to Bembenek" Antonio said. "Oh, Olinsky's already on that" Voight said. "A black Arcadia was found abandoned in Englewood. It matches the description of the getaway vehicle, but there's no prints. They torched it" Kevin said and entered the bullpen along with Adam. "A white male just checked into a South Side clinic about a half hour ago with two bullet wounds" Adam said. 

"All right, Lindsay, Antonio, get on it. Jay, you're in protective custody until this dies down" Voight said. "They shot my friend. They nearly killed me and Erin" Jay said. "You've got a target on your back. You're not going anywhere until that target is removed. Yn, you make sure he doesn't leave this district until I say so" Voight said. "Sure thing Sarge" I say as everyone else left the district.

"You don't have to stay here you know" Jay said as I sat down at my desk. "It's no problem. For one, I don't have a car at the moment so I can't go anywhere. And two, you're my friend, Jay. I'm not leaving you. Besides, I'm under Voight's orders, so I couldn't leave even if I wanted to" I say. "For a second, I thought we were having a moment Yn, and then you had to ruin it" Jay said and threw his jacket at me playfully.

.........................................

"Uh, Detective Halstead? Sergeant Voight is on his way up with the suspect. He asked that on his way to the interview room, you wait in his office for them to pass by" Nadia said. "Which suspect" Jay asked. "Maybe it's better that you don't know" I say. "Is it the shooter" Jay asked Nadia. "Let's head in Voight's office, Jay" I say and take his arm. I lead Jay into Voight's office, and just as I did, Voight walked past with a man who was handcuffed. Jay then attempted to get past me, but I pushed him forcefully back into Voight's office. "Sarge, give me five minutes. Gimme five minutes" Jay shouted. "Jay, please stop. You're getting out of control" I say. "He shot my friend Yn" Jay said. "I know, but Voight said you can't be on the case, so I'm going to need you to take a step down" I say.

That afternoon, I was sitting at my desk trying to contact Archie. "Hey Johnny. Is Archie around" I ask my old partner over the phone. "Uh, he's busy" Johnny said. "You're a terrible liar. He doesn't want to talk to me, does he" I ask. "Not really" Johnny replied. "Okay, well uh, tell him I'm expecting him at home later for dinner so that we can talk" I say. "I'll give him the message" Johnny said and hung up.

Minutes later, I found out that Jay was going to pretend to be "drugged" so this guy, JP, a retired hit man, could show him to Patrick Shostak, our shooter. That way, we'd be able to get Shostak into custody. "Here. The ratchets on the cuffs have been shaved down, so with one tug, they'll come off" I say and hand the cuffs to Jay. "Thanks" he said. "Hey, be careful" I say. "I will" Jay said.

We followed JP and Jay, and as we were driving, Adam came over the radio. "Price just got a text" Adam said. "Get me that text, Ruzek" Voight said. Seconds later, my phone buzzed. "Yn, what is it" Al asked me. "It's a picture. It's Price's son" I say and show him the photo. Just then, JP sped off, and I knew something bad was going down. "He's dusting us" Erin said over the radio. Al put his foot on the gas and we chased after him, however, a train got in our way, so now we had no eyes on JP or Jay.

As soon as the crossings rose back up, we continued driving, but stopped when a woman shouted at us to come near her. Al pulled the car up to the woman and I climbed out of the car. "Ma'am, Chicago PD. What happened" I ask. "He came up, put a gun in my face, and he took my car" the woman said. "What kind of car" I ask. "All I kept thinking was 'oh, lord, please don't take me home today'" the woman said. "Ma'am! What kind of car was it" I ask harshly. "Minivan. Gold" she replied. "Which way" I ask. The woman pointed down the street. "That way." "Thank you" I say and climb back into the car.

About a few minutes later, Voight came over the radio. Halstead is at Westbury Field, 103rd and Central. There's a red Mustang. Find that car" Voight said. Al sped off down the road, and we found a dirty red Mustang speeding away from the address Voight gave us. "Al, step on it" I say. "I'm going as fast as I can" Al said. "Well it's not fast enough. Step on the gas harder" I say. Voight got to Shostak's car before we could and made him crash into a car parked on the side of the road. As soon as Shostak was out of the car, I walked over to him and punched him in the face. "You think it's okay to murder innocent women and try to kill a cop" I ask Shostak. He didn't reply and only laughed, so I punched him again. "Wrong answer" I say as Erin walked over and took him away.

Back at the district, Jay approached my desk. "A bunch of us are heading to Molly's. Want to come" Jay asked me. "I can't. I've got to get a bus back to my apartment because Archie has stranded me here" I say. "What? Why" Jay asked. "Because he's mad that I've been putting you over him. He's the jealous type" I say. "I'm sorry. I can give you a ride home if you want" Jay said. "That'll only make things worse. I'll um, I'll see you tomorrow" I say.