Center Mass

Yn's POV

"Adam, hey" I say as I entered the lobby. "I heard about what happened with Kim. I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Dealing with it as much as I can" Adam replied as I gave him a hug.

"How's Kim doing" I ask. "I tried calling her, but she wouldn't answer, and she hasn't responded to my texts."

"Voight's got her on IOD for a few days, and when we spoke this morning, she said she wanted to be alone" Adam answered.

"Well, if I was in her shoes, I would want that too. I'll see you upstairs" I tell him before heading up into the bullpen.

"Looks who's back from vacation" Hailey spoke as I entered the bullpen. "How was it?"

"It was good, except it wasn't really a vacation. I stayed at the apartment all day everyday, and I had to deal with Jay complaining about going into work" I responded.

"That hurt, Yn" Jay said and touched his heart.

"Oh shut up" I laugh and push him away playfully. "I'm just glad to be back."

"You caught up on the case" Vanessa asked me.

"Yeah. Hailey sent me everything this morning" I reply.

"All right. What do we got" Voight questioned. 

"I followed up on the Sammy's story about going to an AA meeting with Roberto, so this is security footage from the community center, and this is from an auto shop down the block. There's the blue pickup Sammy was talking about" Hailey said. "Time stamp says 7:12. That's a few hours before Roberto was killed." 

"All right, here we go. Blue 2011 Ford. Belongs to a Joe Mason. Convicted felon, recently paroled out of Stateville on an attempted murder beef. LKA's a house in Elsdon" Jay read aloud. 

"Okay, Jay, you and Hailey get over there. Stand by for the warrant" Voight said.

...............................

"So Joe, do you know Roberto Pena" I ask. 

"Yeah, I know him. That son of a bitch broke into my truck. I caught him red-handed, and he ran" Joe explained. 

"What'd he steal" I question. Joe ignored me and looked down at the table. "You know, if I were you, I'd keep talking because you were the last person who was with Roberto before this" I say and place down a photo of Roberto's dead body. 

"I had nothing to do with that. Look, he stole my coke. I had some in my glove compartment. So, I drove everywhere trying to find that punk. He said he still had half of my cocaine, so we went to some empty house he was squatting at" Joe stated. 

"So you went to the house, you got your drugs, and then you carved him up, didn't you? That's why you slit his throat? Why'd you cut his hands off" I ask. 

"I was just trying to get high. I didn't do that to Roberto" Joe responded. 

"What time did you leave" I question. 

"Sometime after 8:00. Then I went to my buddy's 40th birthday party. This guy was still alive when I left that house" Joe answered.

Vanessa and Kevin went back to check out the house Joe was talking about, and there they found a huge puddle of dead blood, meaning that was where Roberto was murdered. They also found Sammy's notebook, but when they went to bring him in, he was nowhere to be found. However, they did find a pair of sneakers, and they had blood on them. Roberto's blood.

"The sneakers that we found at the church are identical to Sammy's, and the sole pattern and size are an exact match to the prints that we found at the demo house" Adam spoke.