Get Back to Even

Yn's POV

Jay and I stood side my side as I knocked on the door of a house. "Who's there" a voice called out. "Police. Can you open up" I ask. Seconds later, a little girl opened the door. "Can I see your badge, please" she asked. "Yeah" I say and show her the badge on my hip. "I'm Jay. This is Yn. What's your name" Jay asked. "I'm Denise" the girl said. "Denise, is anybody home with you right now" I ask. "No" she said. "Does Darius Gifford live here" Jay asked. "Yeah. He's my brother" Denise said. "Can we look inside his room" Jay asked. "No. He said nobody's allowed in his room" Denise said. "We're allowed" Jay said as we entered the house and walked into Darius' bedroom. I began looking around, and as I did, Jay spotted some clothes thrown on the bed.

"It looks like our DOA came here to change out of anything identifiable" Jay said. "Denise, was your brother here with a friend" I ask. "Yeah, with Andre and another boy I didn't know. They were yelling at him a lot, and Andre had a gun" Denise said. "Did your brother have a gun, too" I ask. She nodded. "Who else lives here with you" I ask. "Just me and Darius. My mom is dead, and my dad had to go to jail" Denise said. "All right. We're going to take a ride then, okay" I say. "Hey, we've got a problem" Jay said and held up Voight's business card.

When we got back to the district, Voight pulled me aside. "I need you to do me a favor" he said. "Sure Sarge. Anything" I say. "I need you to watch Denise" Voight said. "What? But Platt's watching her" I say. "Yeah, but Platt is also the Desk Sergeant, so she has her hands full. She's downstairs at the moment. Bring her up, make her feel at home" Voight said. "Okay" I say and turn around before heading downstairs.

I walked up to Platt, who was searching something up on her computer. "Hey Sarge. I'm here for Denise" I say. "She's in the office" Platt said. "Great. Thanks" I say. Inside of the office, Denise was eating a belgian waffle. "Hey, Denise. Sergeant Platt is busy, so I'm going to take you upstairs" I say. "Okay" she said and grabbed her food, following  me up the stairs. We made our way to the break room, me taking the seat closest to the door.

"That's Jay, right" Denise asked and pointed to the person whose desk was closest to the break room. "Yeah. Why" I ask. "He was staring at you when we walked in here, and he's staring at you right now" Denise said. I went to turn around, but Denise stopped me. "If you turn around, he'll stop staring" she said. "Right. That's exactly why I'm going to turn around" I say. "I'm pretty sure he has a crush on you" Denise said. "Jay? No. He likes Erin, and I have a fiance" I say. "Where's he" Denise asked. "At home. He was injured on duty" I say. "Your fiance is a cop too" Denise asked. I nodded. "Okay, so if you're into cops, then he's obviously your type" Denise said. "He's also my best friend, so it's a no. And like I said before, I have a fiance whom I love" I say.

About an hour or two later, my radio went off. "This is 5021-Ida. Emergency. Emergency. 10-1, we are locked down at 2200 Wabash. Roll fire. I repeat, roll fire. We are surrounded by flames, holding two offenders" Adam said. "Shit" I say and stand up, grabbing my radio. "This is 5021 Union. I'm five minutes out" I say and pull on my jacket. "Denise, I need you to stay here. Don't move" I say and run out of the bullpen.

Once out of the district, I sped down the street, flashing my lights as I did. I made it to the address in record time, grabbing a ram from the trunk of my car. I entered the warehouse, and saw another door with smoke emerging from the bottom of hit. "Adam, this is Yn" I say into my radio. "Yn, where the hell are you" Adam asked. "I'm right outside. I need you to clear the exit" I say. "All right. It's clear" Adam said back. I took a deep breath, and with two hits to the door, it fell open. Smoke poured out of the room along with Jay, Erin, Adam, Kevin, and two kids that I didn't know.

"You're a life saver" Jay said and pat my shoulder, giving me a smile. "Yeah. No problem. However, even though I saved your asses, I abandoned my post at the district, and now I'm going to get yelled at by Voight" I say. "No way. I don't think he'd be mad" Adam said.

......................................

"Ln, where the hell have you been" Voight asked as we all entered the bullpen. "Called it" I say to Adam and shrug off my jacket. "I gave you one job. One job! Do you ever follow orders?" "I left because I was saving the rest of the team. I shouldn't even be watching Denise. I should be fulfilling my job as a detective" I say. "Well, not with that attitude you're not" Voight said. "Whatever. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the break room not doing my job" I say and storm away.

Later that day, after the case had been solved, and Denise was sent off with protective services, I walked into Voight's office. "Can we talk" I ask him. "If this is about earlier, then I stand by my decision" Voight said. "I just don't understand. You could've picked anyone in this unit, or anyone in patrol downstairs to watch Denise. Why me" I ask. "I picked you for a reason, Ln. I see the way you are with kids. You treat them with kindness, and in return, they treat you with respect" Voight said. "You could've just told me that from the beginning" I say. "I could've, but I didn't. Have a nice night Ln" Voight said. "Right. Night Sarge" I say.