Seven Indictments

Yn's POV

I ran up the stairs of Intelligence, tears staining my cheeks. "Yn, hey. What's wrong" Jay asked me. "I need to talk to Voight. Is he here" I ask. "Yeah. He's in his office. What's going on? Why haven't you been at work" he asked. "I just came here to talk to Voight. Excuse me" I say and push past him. I knocked on the door frame to Voight's office, and he looked up from his desk. "Ln. I've been wondering where you've been" he said. "Can we talk for a sec" I ask. "Of course. Close the door" Voight said. I shut the door behind me before turning back to Voight.

"Have a seat" he said. "I'd rather stand" I say and wipe some more tears from my face. "I would think that if someone in my unit needed to take some time off, they would be kind enough to tell me so I don't end up short handed up here" Voight said. "I came in the other day and asked Platt to tell you I needed some time off. She was probably busy and forgot about it. I'm sorry for not coming up. I just couldn't...... I can't-" I cut myself off as I began to sob. 

Voight walked over to me and wrapped me in a hug, one that I took comfort in. "How bad" he asked, without me even telling him what happened. "Stage 4" I manage to sob out as Voight held me tightly. There was nothing he could say or do to make me feel better, but at the moment, this hug was all I needed. "Take as much time off as you need, Yn. We'll all be waiting here when you're ready to return" Voight said. "Thanks, Sarge. I appreciate it. I uh, I should get going" I say. 

When I left Voight's office, there seemed to be an argument going on in the bullpen. "Someone want to fill me in on the office gossip" Kenny asked. "Your gang unit pulled indictments for everyone but you, so why don't you tell us how you worked that out" Al asked. "Well, maybe there was nothing to indict" Kenny replied. "Seven guys taken in, and one in the clear? That happens" Jay said. "You want to say something? Say it" Kenny said to Jay. "I think I just did" Jay said. "I mean, there's only a couple options, right? I mean, either you're dirty and you got away with it, or you worked a deal. I think we just want to know" Kevin said. "You wrote parking tickets for two years to get up here, and you're going to lecture me? Come talk to me after you work seven years on the front lines" Kenny said.

I tried to slip past them unnoticed, but of course, nothing could get past the Intelligence Unit. "Hey Yn! Why don't you have my back" Kenny asked me harshly. "Excuse me" I ask. "You hear all these people yelling at me, and you're just going to leave without saying a word? We're supposed to be partners, and I haven't seen you in a few days. What's your deal" Kenny asked. "My deal is that my mother was just diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer. The past few days I've been sitting by her hospital bed spending as much time with her as I can just in case she doesn't make it. So I'm sorry if I don't give a shit about the office gossip" I say and turn back towards the stairs. Before I could take another step, someone grabbed a hold of my arm. "Yn" Jay said. "Please, Jay. Leave me alone" I say and shake my arm from his grip. And with that, I left the bullpen.