Fallen

Yn's POV

The rest of the Intelligence Unit and I were currently at a dinner party that was thrown by Alderman Ray Price. He wanted to talk about his plans as Alderman, and a lot of them involved making the community more involved with the police. So, us plus a few other cops were scattered around wearing our blues listening to the presentation. After Price's speech, Jay and I took a seat together at the bar.

"You want to roll" Jay asked me. "Dude, we're off the clock in 10 minutes. Besides, where else are we going to get free champagne" I ask. "You could always just buy yourself champagne from the store" Jay suggested. "Um, are you aware of how much decent champagne costs? I'm not going to spend $50 on champagne when I can spend $20 on whiskey" I say. "So that's why you never have champagne at your place" Jay said. "Yep. I prefer whiskey over champagne anyways. I prefer whiskey over most drinks" I say. "Spoken like a true member of Canaryville" Jay said. "Guys, we've got a shooting. Lets go" Voight said to us.

............................................

"Nine mil casings. Male takes one to the back of the head. Female takes two to the chest" Jay said to Voight. "Dad gets beat, then popped. Wife walks in. Goodbye witness" he said. "The son Ryan, he was hiding out in the bathroom. The killer finds him, and he takes two to the chest" I say. "Anything on the victims yet" Voight asked Hailey. "Yeah. Grant Hammond, wife Margaret, son Ryan. Grant was a corporate attorney. Looks like he spent a lot of time at his church" Hailey said. "Hey. I think we found what the killers were looking for upstairs" Adam announced.

Hailey, Jay, Voight, and I followed Adam upstairs, and he led us into a closet. On the floor, inside of a shoe box, there were drugs. "Praise the Lord" Adam said jokingly, referring to Grant's connection with his church. "Two keys. That's about 200 grand street value" Jay said. "I've seen guys kill over a lot less" Voight said. "So much for the safe haven of the North Side" Hailey spoke.

The morning, we were at the district beginning our case. "So far no surveillance or PODS caught sight of the shooter" Antonio said. "Anything on Grant Hammond" Voight asked. "Asset Forfeiture, they ran the round robin on him. He was broke, he was juggling five credit cards. Hasn't received a check from his last employer in over a year" Antonio replied. "That would be his law firm. They let him go last year" Kim said. "Any cash deposits to his bank account" Voight asked. "No, he was a little smarter than that. He was using a safety deposit box, but the bank filled out an SAR on him for frequent visits" I say. 

"Guys, I think I have a lead on the supplier. Techs ran GPS on Hammond's car. He'd been making multiple trips to Englewood" Hailey said. "Got an address" Voight asked. "6241 South Racine. Stash house is linked to a Quinton Kane. Apparently he's a pretty serious player. Moves a lot of product through the Gold Coast" Hailey responded. "All right. Get the details on Kane, then get some eyes on him" Voight said. "Oh, and Hailey, get Sergeant McGrady from Narcotics on this. That's his area." As soon as Voight mentioned that name, Hailey's demeanor changed. When Voight walked into his office, I pulled her aside.

"What happened between you and McGrady" I ask. "We worked together on a case once. He drove me nuts. That's all" she said. "All right, well, if you want to talk more about it, you know where to find me" I say. "Right. Thanks. Hey, can you tell Jay when we gets here that me and him are going into the van with McGrady" Hailey asked. "Of course. I'll let him know" I say.

....................................

"Two dead bodies, a dying college kid, and we've got to kick Kane free because Ryan Hammond's ID is too vague" Jay said. "Yeah, well, we're lucky we got what we got when we got it" I say. "What do you mean" Jay asked me. "I just talked to Med. Ryan Hammond died 10 minutes ago" I say. "He's 19 years old. He's just back home from college" Jay said. "Without Ryan's testimony, we don't have a case against Kane. So that son of a bitch might actually get away with it" I say. "We've just got to get back out there and find new evidence" Jay said.

That night, when Hailey was going to meet up with Segreant McGrady, he called in shots fired at him. Hailey, who was only blocks away because she was heading to meet up with him, responded to the call, but there wasn't much she could do for him because he was shot in the neck. He ended up dying before he could get to the hospital.

"Hey, Sarge, you want to hear this. We dumped McGrady's phone, and this is the only cat that popped up. An informant named Damon Briggs that wasn't on the books yet" Kevin said. "I spoke to McGrady's partner. Briggs is a catch and release on a gun charge. Slinging a lot of attitude. McGrady was about to toss him back into prison" Adam said. "This man called McGrady three times over the last week, and was on the phone with him two hours before he got popped" Kevin added. "All right. Upton, grab Halstead, find this Briggs, bring him in. Let's not back off Kane though. Do some digging. Ln, Ruzek, check his alibi" Voight said.

We headed to the bar Kane was supposedly at when McGrady was killed, and the bartender showed us some footage. "That's Kane at the end of the bar" the man said. "This could be another night" Adam said. "Right. I mean, my grandma can click a mouse and change the date on this thing" I say. "I didn't change nothing. That's the 10:00 news running behind him on the TV. Do yourself a favor and find another black man to arrest. Kane was here" the bartender said. "Right. Did you work that night" I ask. "Yeah I did. I saw him, and I'd testify to any judge you name" the man said. "I'm sure you'd be paid handsomely for it too. Have a good night" Adam told the bartender.

Back at the district, Hailey and Jay were sharing what they knew. "All right. What do we got on our snitch Briggs" Voight asked. "He totally was on a joy ride going to scenic Wisconsin" Jay said. "A credit card receipt and gas station surveillance puts him at a Kenosha gas station at the same time McGrady was shot" Hailey said. 'All right, so cross Briggs off the list. Where are we at with Kane" Voight asked Adam and I. 

"Sarge, Kane's alibi checks out" I say. "Yeah, we got Kane on surveillance video at 10:21 entering the dive bar" Adam said. "He owns that place. You sure that video's legit" Voight asked. "It looked credible to me. They had the 10:00 news on in the background. It checks out" I say. "All right, we know McGrady's 911 call came in at 10:11, right? So how far is the dive bar from where McGrady got hit" Voight  asked. "We basically just drove that route. It was about 4.8 miles. We were driving fast. It took us about 27 minutes. There's no way in hell he made that in ten" I say. "I just talked to the techs. The blood on the gun that killed McGrady is a match for Quinton Kane" Antonio said. "What? How is that possible. His alibi checked out" I say. "Well, blood is blood. Let's arrest this prick" Voight said.

We didn't find Kane, but we did find Briggs, and Briggs told us he dropped Kane off somewhere about 2 hours ago. However, the likelihood he was still in that same spot was zero, so we had to keep searching. We then found Kane's phone, and it turned out, he was talking to Ray Price. Voight went to talk to Ray, and Ray agreed to tell us where Price was, only if we could come along to make sure Kane was treated fairly. We then caught Kane, and the case was solved.

That same day, there was a little memorial service with all of the cops who knew McGrady, and all of Intelligence was there. "How's Upton dealing with all of this" Antonio asked. "I'm not sure. She keeps a lot in" Jay replied. "We all do, right? It's part of the job" Antonio said. "I guess, but I've found that it's better to share what you're feeling. This job, it puts a lot on a pressure on people. It's not good to keep it all pent up" I say. "Then why don't you talk to her since you're all buddy buddy now" Jay suggested. "When she's ready, she'll talk. I don't want to force her to. Also, the only reason we're good friends is because there are only 3 girls, including me, in the unit. We've got to stick together" I say. "Please don't tell me you guys have a ladies night. That would be hilarious" Jay said. "Every Thursday night. It's actually quite nice without you guys around" I say. "Sure, Yn. Whatever you say" Antonio said.