Familia

Yn's POV

I walked into the district with my bag slung over my left shoulder and my right hand intertwined with Jay's left. We passed a few patrolmen, who nodded at us as we walked up the steps and into the lobby. Today had begun like any normal day, but I knew that as soon as we got a case, things would get hectic, so I appreciated these calm moments whenever I could.

"Oh, um, I need to drop something off at the front desk" I say and pull some things from my bag as Jay and I reached the stairs to get up to Intelligence. "I'll meet you upstairs in a few minutes."

"All right. I'll bring your stuff up" Jay said and slid my bag off of my shoulder.

"What a gentleman" I say.

Jay laughed and pulled me close to him, brushing his lips against mine. "See you in a few minutes" he said and headed upstairs.

I smiled and headed over to the front desk where I was met my Sergeant Platt, and someone I thought I'd never see again; Vanessa Rojas. She had worked well with us on our last case, and ended up getting us information vital to getting our guys. That's when I remembered that she was going to be the newest recruit for the team.

"Good morning Sergeant Platt" I say and smile at the woman behind the front desk.

"Morning, Ln. You know, every time I see you with Halstead, I'm reminded of how you and him will never beat Mouch and I for best couple" Platt spoke.

"I would never dream of it, Sarge. I just needed to drop these forms off for you to file away" I say and hand her a stack of papers.

"Always giving me more work, aren't you Ln" Platt said.

"You know it. Um, Vanessa, I'm pretty sure Kevin is coming down to meet you" I say and begin to walk away, before turning around seconds later. "Oh, and welcome to Intelligence."

.................................................

"Okay, what do we got" Voight asked.

"Straight-up aggravated carjacking. The victim's name is Ruby Garcia. She's 24. She's at Chicago Med with head trauma. We lodged a BOLO on her stolen car, but nothing yet" Kim answered.

"We ran prints on our DOA John Doe. He's not in our system. No wallet or ID" Hailey added.

"That means we've got to ID his partner, so talk to your CIs. Let's get a list of everyone previously arrested for carjacking in that area. Kev, reach out to Major Accidents and start the paper" Voight said.

"We've been chasing a major cartel supply and we're dropping that for a carjacking" Jay questioned.

"The offender died while we were chasing him, so we own it. Let's just tie it off cleanly and quickly and move on" Voight spoke and glanced over at Vanessa.

"Sergeant? What would you like for me to do" Vanessa asked.

"I want you to head to Med and get a victim statement from this Ruby. And ride with Upton. You two are going to be partnering together. Jay, you'll ride with Kim" Voight said.

As Voight walked into his office, Hailey and Jay glanced at each other quizzically. Adam and I were great partners, but Hailey and Jay were the perfect pair when it came down to partners in the Intelligence Unit. Jay then shrugged at Hailey, who marched into Voight's office and closed the door behind her.

"Hey. Where's my bag" I ask Jay and look around my desk.

"I'm sorry" Jay questioned with a small smile on his face.

"The bag you brought up here earlier. Where is it? You said you were going to put it on my desk" I say.

"Oh. That bag. Its in the locker room. I'll show you" Jay said and took my hand.