Sisterhood

Yn's POV

I woke up to a dog licking my hand. "Chief! Stop it" I say and swat lazily at him. However, as soon as my hand fell back against the bed, Chief started licking me again. "All right. I'm up" I say and sit up. Chief barked happily at me for getting up and then scampered out of the bedroom. That's when the smell of pancakes hit me, and my stomach growled. I groaned at having to leave the comforts of my bed and exited my bedroom, but when I got to the kitchen, I wanted to take the groan back. There, standing at the stove, was my stunning boyfriend, who was shirtless, by the way, cooking pancakes.

I made my way over to him and wrapped my arms around his abdomen from behind. "Morning" I mumble. "Good morning to you too. How'd you like your alarm" Jay asked me. "So you've been teaching Chief tricks? It feels like he's not my dog anymore" I say. Jay laughed and used a spatula to flip the pancake that was currently cooking. "I can't help that Chief loves me. I'm a lovable person" Jay said. "I can agree with that" I say. Jay and I were spending most nights together at my apartment these days because I had to take care of Chief, and Jay didn't seem to mind at all.

"Since when did you become a chef" I ask and take a seat at my small dining room table. "I'm by no means a world class chef, but I can cook a few things. Pancakes are one of those things" Jay said and set the plate of pancakes down on the table. "And pancakes just so happen to be my favorite breakfast. Coincidence? I think not" I say. It didn't take long for us both to eat, and once I had finished my plate, I walked over to Jay and took a seat on his lap. "I love you" I tell him. "I love you too" Jay said and pressed a kiss to my lips.

Walking into the district with Jay was something I had grown to love. There was just something about walking into the bullpen with my boyfriend that made my day. However, we had a case to work on, so we had to go to our separate desks. "That was my CI. He swears he can't ID the two pledges" Antonio said. "Do you believe him" Hailey asked. "It doesn't matter. He's not giving them up" Antonio replied. "I got the M.E. report" Detective Scott Hart from Area Central Homicide said and walked into the bullpen. "The DOA was raped, then strangled to death."

"Any third-party DNA" I ask. "No, they were wearing condoms. They found traces of spermicide inside the Jane Doe" Scott replied. "Her name's Daniella Rios" Kim said. "Yeah? How do you know" Antonio asked. "I was researching local dance groups. She looked like she was wearing a dance uniform, and there was a dance charm on her bracelet. Village Dance, it's an after-school program for at-risk teens. Uniform's the same" Kim said. "I'll run her name and get an address" Scott said. "I already did" Kim said. "So go talk to the family" Voight said.

...........................................

So, it turns out, the bracelet found by Daniella's body didn't belong to her, but her best friend Tina. Kim and Scott went to talk to her, but she wouldn't say anything. "I heard that Tina girl got assaulted too" Hailey said to me as I was standing in the break room. "Well, Kim said she didn't say that, but it was pretty obvious. Poor kid's terrified" I say. "I don't blame her" Hailey said. "It's just horrible" I say and stare at the sink. "Yeah. Hey. Are you okay? You seem off" she said. "You don't know, do you" I ask. "Know what" Hailey asked.

"Um, a few years ago, I was drugged and raped by a serial rapist" I say. "Oh. Sorry, I don't really know how to respond to that" Hailey said. "It's okay. It was uh, it was a while ago. I've mostly gotten over it, but sometimes the cases like these bring the memories back" I say. "Well, you caught the guy, right" Hailey asked. "Yeah. Then he escaped prison though, came back to Chicago, played a little game with us, and I ended up killing him" I say and grip the handle of my coffee mug tightly as the memories came back. "Right, well, I don't want to make you bring back some bad memories, so I'll tell you what's going on with the case. Ruzek and I have been going over the Title 3 wiretaps but there's a lot of chatter the night of the murder, and it's all in code. All numbers, no words or letters" Hailey said as Adam entered the break room. "I've got something" he said.

Out in the bullpen, Adam taped a piece of paper to the white board. "All right, so I talked to Gang Intel. They helped me crack the code. Each letter's a number. They split the alphabet in half, evens and odds to make it confusing so A is 1, B is 3. Then by the 13th letter, it flips. N is 2, O is 4, so on and so forth. Anyway, we came up with this. 'Matamos a una.' It means 'We killed one girl.' That was an incoming text sent by Miguel Salazar. A minute later, another incoming text was sent from Eduardo Vargas. 'La otra escapo.' It means 'The other escaped.' Both of these idiots, they used their own phones. Texts were sent to a burner phone that we think is owned by Peña" Adam said. "Did you run their names" Voight asked. "Both are 18, both have impressive juvie sheets" Hailey responded. "Ping their phones and grab them up" Voight said.

At the house, we all had our vests on and guns raised. "Guys, we've got two bodies" Kevin said. We all joined him in the living room, and that's when I saw that both Miguel and Eduardo had their penises cut off. "Hmm, okay, that's one way to take care of rapists" Jay said. "They totally deserved that" I say and holster my weapon.

.......................................

"Yo, so we talked to CIs, Gang Intel, bangers. There are no conflicts with the King crew, at least not right now" Kevin said. "Which means these two punk rapists, sorry, 'victims', were probably killed by somebody connected to Daniella or Tina. You know, the real victims. It sure feels like revenge" I say. "Okay, so circle back with the family. There's got to be a brother, an uncle, somebody out there capable of doing this" Voight said.

So Kim and Scott talked to Tina'a boyfriend, Dante, and he talked about someone named Q. "Any word back from your CI" Voight asked Antonio. "Yeah. The deal is on ice for now. Kings are on high-alert. Those two pledges getting whacked made them nervous" he replied. "We got any intel on this gangbanger Q" Voight asked. "Yeah, Sarge, his name came up on the wire a few days ago. The exact quote was 'Have Q deliver the guns. Drop off at the pool hall on 22nd. Usual price'" Jay read aloud. "There's this place called Kedzie Billiards on 22nd" Hailey said. "Could be Q's hangout" Al suggested. "All right, Halstead, Upton, check it out" Voight said.

When Jay and Hailey came back from the pool hall, they had some information. "Isabel Torres, street name Q. Short for Queen" Jay said. "Long rap sheet: drugs, larceny, aggravated assault" Hailey said. "She runs an all-female gang called the Viper Queens, but for the most part, they're a delivery service for the local male gangs" Antonio added. "Yeah, a woman behind the wheel lowers the risk of arrest by 50%, maybe 60%" Al said. "Yeah, because like it or not, we're all biased. We don't profile women as criminals. They're not strong enough, they're not tough enough" I say. "That's a little bit of an overstatement, don't you think" Adam asked me. "Really? Because we never used 'her' or 'she' when talking about suspects in this case. It was 'he' and 'him' from the jump" I point out. "She kind of makes a point" Kevin said.

"Okay, enough. We've got homicides to solve. Right now, we got a whole lot of nothing. No physical evidence, no forensics. So dig into these rape victims. Find the connection with this female banger Q. The rest of you, canvas the neighborhood where the bangers got popped. Show photos of them, Q. Maybe someone saw them together near the time of the murders" Voight said. "Hey, Sarge, I'm looking at this M.E. report, and based on stomach contents, it looks like the last thing the Kings had to eat was pizza. So you should let me and Ruzek check out some local restaurants" Kevin suggested. "Well, there's a good place to start" Voight said.

So at the pizza place, the man working showed Adam and Kevin some security footage of the two pledges and this one girl, Veronica, who worked for Q. We then set up a deal with her, but things went south when Veronica passed the drugs to Tina, who ditched them somewhere. Now, Veronica would not confess to the murder of the pledges, but Tina said she mentioned what had happened to Q, and Q said she would take care of it. Now, we were sending Tina in undercover for us to get a confession from Q, and in the end, she did her job well. We then used Q to get to Peña, and she killed him, which wasn't apart of the plan.

At the end of the day, as I was packing up my stuff, Jay walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pressing a kiss to my neck. "Are you busy tonight" he asked me. "For once, yeah, I am. Hailey, Kim, and I are heading to Molly's" I say. "Okay. Is it all right if I head to your place" he asked. "Sure. Do me a favor and take care of Chief, please" I say. "Of course. I'll see you later" Jay said.